Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 79
Favorite XBLA game - Talkingship Forums
Old 04-18-2010, 11:32 AM
Fisherman Offline
Video Game Community Manager

Fisherman is becoming a valued member of the Talkingship CommunityFisherman is becoming a valued member of the Talkingship Community
Default Favorite XBLA game

Simply put, what is your favorite XBLA game? What is the game you go back to when you're waiting for friends to pop online, or what is the game that had the best narrative arc that you bought from Xbox Live?

Also do you think downloadable games have reached a level where they can be considered for game of the year status? If not, do you think they ever will?
Old 04-18-2010, 01:58 PM
Grantly Offline
Petty Officer First Class (rank up at 500 posts)

Grantly is becoming a valued member of the Talkingship Community

For me it's a tie between Braid and Castle Crashers. I don't want to beat a dead horse, but Braid was amazing. It totally blew me away, and I could go back and play it a hundred times, and it would never get old.

Castle Crashers is just crazy fun, especially when you're playing with your friends. If you haven't played these games yet, you owe it to yourself to give them a shot.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:01 PM
Kariz Offline
Petty Officer Third Class (rank up at 100 posts)

Kariz is loved by somebody!

Definitely Castle Crashers. Another awesome one is I MAED A GAME W1TH ZOMB1EZ IN 1T!!! (Don't remember the exact spelling) which is easily the best 99 cents I've ever spent.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:06 PM
Farva Offline
I'M NOT GONNA LIE TO YOU

Farva is on the way to becoming a legendary member of the forumsFarva is on the way to becoming a legendary member of the forumsFarva is on the way to becoming a legendary member of the forumsFarva is on the way to becoming a legendary member of the forumsFarva is on the way to becoming a legendary member of the forums

I know this puts me in a sad state, but I didn't like Braid. Don't know why, I just didn't. I'd have to say the game I've killed the most time on is the TMNT Arcade game. I played it a ton when I first bought it. It just brought back a flood of memories of all the quarters I'd lost to those damn arcade slots during my childhood.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:17 AM
RobT Offline
Petty Officer Third Class (rank up at 100 posts)

RobT is better then youRobT is better then youRobT is better then youRobT is better then you
Send a message via Skype™ to RobT

Trials HD! fuck... i'm starting a thread!
Old 04-19-2010, 09:42 AM
Fisherman Offline
Video Game Community Manager

Fisherman is becoming a valued member of the Talkingship CommunityFisherman is becoming a valued member of the Talkingship Community

Good picks guys!

Yeah, I loved Braid. The sense of accomplishment in getting all the way through that was the best thing about it, as you basically had to 100% (except for the stars) to even get to the end of the game. Its nice to see a developer take a risk like that, as it has the chance to alienate the audience. For Braid, it worked.

Castle Crashers was a blast, and I would love to pick it up and play it with some of you guys - maybe in an upcoming TS Gamernight. I never got all the way through it as it was mostly my girlfriend and I playing local co-op, and those of you who game with girlfriends know how quickly some games fizzle out in that sense.

One that I haven't seen mentioned here yet is Shadow Complex. I know Orson Scott Card has a bit of a reputation, but he came through with a hell of a game, made specifically for those of us that remember and enjoy old-school side-scrolling shooters. It plays like a hybrid of Metroid, Mega Man, and Pitfall. If you've waited this long for it, I'd suggest waiting for it to (inevitably) go on sale for a half-price weekend or something, but definitely give it a look.

Farva, I own both of the TMNT games that were released on Live and I have to say I enjoyed Turtles in Time Re-Shelled more than the original TMNT. I'm sure I dumped just as many, if not more quarters into the original arcade game but as an exact recreation of the arcade cabinet game, it becomes pretty apparent how far video games have come in terms of design since that one came out. Of course, that's not to say I wouldn't buy the X-Men arcade game if it got released on XBLA. That shit would get snapped up in an instant.

Finally, I'd like to recommend Chime to anyone who likes puzzle games and is looking for the "next" Tetris. Obviously not in terms of influence, because no puzzle game can touch Tetris in that sense, but in terms of a new puzzle system that is simple to learn but difficult to master. If you've ever played Lumines for the PSP it's basically the same system here, except with better music and graphics. Also, I believe a portion of the devloper's revenue goes to charity, so you can feel good about your purchase, or maybe write it off on next year's taxes.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:21 PM
Farva Offline
I'M NOT GONNA LIE TO YOU

Farva is on the way to becoming a legendary member of the forumsFarva is on the way to becoming a legendary member of the forumsFarva is on the way to becoming a legendary member of the forumsFarva is on the way to becoming a legendary member of the forumsFarva is on the way to becoming a legendary member of the forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
Good picks guys!

Finally, I'd like to recommend Chime to anyone who likes puzzle games and is looking for the "next" Tetris. Obviously not in terms of influence, because no puzzle game can touch Tetris in that sense, but in terms of a new puzzle system that is simple to learn but difficult to master. If you've ever played Lumines for the PSP it's basically the same system here, except with better music and graphics. Also, I believe a portion of the devloper's revenue goes to charity, so you can feel good about your purchase, or maybe write it off on next year's taxes.
Sounds like an interesting game. I'll check it out.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:24 PM
DavGxyz Offline
Petty Officer First Class (rank up at 500 posts)

DavGxyz is loved by somebody!

I would say PuzzleQuest is the game I've spent most time on. It simply eats up the hours. Also really enjoyed Feeding Frenzy 2.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:20 AM
SaucedDave Offline
Seaman (rank up at 50 posts)

SaucedDave is loved by somebody!

Mine as of late would have to be Toy Soldiers, its easy to kill a little or a lot of time on. Fantastic Tower Defense game where you can also go in to first person mode and control the towers, as well as a number of vehicles. Well worth checking out!

Old 04-21-2010, 08:00 AM
djdsf Offline
Community Manager

djdsf has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to djdsf Send a message via Yahoo to djdsf Send a message via Skype™ to djdsf

Marble Blast Ultra, that is the most epic game on XBLA