Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 79
How would you make the Wii more appealing to gamers? - Talkingship Forums

Go Back   Talkingship Forums > Videogames > Console Gaming > Wii

Wii Wiggle that controller some more.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:58 AM
Fisherman Offline
Video Game Community Manager

Fisherman is becoming a valued member of the Talkingship CommunityFisherman is becoming a valued member of the Talkingship Community
Default How would you make the Wii more appealing to gamers?

Yeah, I know everyone who plays a game is a gamer. I won't dispute that, in fact, I'll argue in favor of it. Gaming is not some elite club where you have to pay your dues to enter, that's exactly counter to what gamers want. All are welcome. But for Christ's sake, how would you make the Wii more appealing to ... well ... GAMERS?

My solution is this - Create more games that feature the Wii Remote as a sideways old-school NES-type controller. The fact that dumbing down the controller would make it more appealing to a gamer with more complex tastes than Nintendo's target demo is not lost on me. It is thick. But my favorite game for the Wii is New Super Mario Bros., and I could absolutely see myself getting into more next-ish gen iterations of older franchises from Nintendo's past that I grew up with.

A Boy and his Blob is a step in the right direction, but why stop there? Battletoads without the ridiculous jet-ski scene comes to mind. A glossy, high-def side-scrolling Megaman. Hell, give me a remixed version of Kid Icarus or Act Raiser. Anything but another Carnival Games.

What are your thoughts? How would you make the Wii more appealing to those of us that they've lost?
Old 03-30-2010, 03:27 AM
Farva Offline
I'M NOT GONNA LIE TO YOU

Farva is on the way to becoming a legendary member of the forumsFarva is on the way to becoming a legendary member of the forumsFarva is on the way to becoming a legendary member of the forumsFarva is on the way to becoming a legendary member of the forumsFarva is on the way to becoming a legendary member of the forums

That's an interesting thought. I'd love to see a remake of "Wonderboy" and something like that. I really did enjoy the remade "Punchout", but it was really only fun with the controller being used like the old NES one.

I think they've got a chance to really improve the sell to the Hardcore, fans if they can get the swordplay right with remote attachement (I forgot what it's called right now) that's making it much more sensitive.

I don't think Red Steel 2 will sell all that well, because I don't think enough of the "GAMERS" out there are willing to drop the cash. If it reviews well, and the controls are as free floating as they're saying, a Star Wars game will follow within a year of so that'll blow the Wii open.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:41 AM
Maximus Offline
Petty Officer Third Class (rank up at 100 posts)

Maximus is becoming a valued member of the Talkingship Community
Send a message via AIM to Maximus Send a message via MSN to Maximus Send a message via Yahoo to Maximus Send a message via Skype™ to Maximus

They should make like a Stripper game! Or something, where woman like dance on a po... Oh, nvm...

Uhm......... Yea. I'm still not comfortable having something called a Wii in my household just yet.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:14 AM
PaganNinja Offline
Seaman (rank up at 50 posts)

PaganNinja is loved by somebody!

They should just duct tape a 360 to the side of the wii
Old 03-30-2010, 11:33 AM
Cam-Dog Offline
Very Nearly Nicknamed Cumpuppy

Cam-Dog has proven to be a well liked and respected member of the ship.Cam-Dog has proven to be a well liked and respected member of the ship.Cam-Dog has proven to be a well liked and respected member of the ship.

Maybe if they changed its name to PS4 I would get one.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:00 PM
abadgolfer Offline
Seaman Apprentice (rank up at 25 posts)

abadgolfer is loved by somebody!

How would I make the Wii more appealing to gamers? oh I dunno, maybe keep doing exactly what I've been doing for the past 4 years, and that is kicking the shit out of 360 and PS3. It more than doubles sales worldwide of the other 2 gaming systems. Not to mention, what are these 2 systems coming out with later this year MOTION, whaaaa? your kidding me? Are they trying to be like the Wii? But why, it is not appealing to gamers!!

Yahtzee emm effers!!
Old 03-30-2010, 02:04 PM
Shaha44 Offline
Petty Officer First Class (rank up at 500 posts)

Shaha44 is becoming a valued member of the Talkingship Community

Fanboy wars!! GO GO GO!

Old 03-31-2010, 11:39 PM
Jitterbug Offline
Co-Captain of Talkingship

Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!

Honestly, I think the Wii needs a real controller. The set up they have is great for all the 'wacky' wii shovelware, but REAL games aren't played like that. If they released a wireless controller that was similar to the 360's or the PS3's they could start releasing normal games on the system as well as all of their Wii shit. I seriously HATED having to turn that candy bar controller on its side and try to play games with it. And the attached SNES controller - Yeah - It's an SNES controller. You can't get a true current-gen experience on one of those.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:09 AM
Abrahamm Lincoln Offline
Petty Officer Third Class (rank up at 100 posts)

Abrahamm Lincoln is loved by somebody!
Send a message via MSN to Abrahamm Lincoln

I agree with JB. My girlfriend who is a more casual gamer loves the Wii but I just get frustrated all the shit when I try to flail that god damn contraption around. If I could have a real controller to play Super Mario party and such I would have a much better time. Or maybe they just need to make the motion sensor suck less?