Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 79

Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 79
Drill Baby Drill - Oopsie - Talkingship Forums

Go Back   Talkingship Forums > The Debate Team > Politics

Politics If you've got to talk about politics, this is the place to do it. Keep it civil, people.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:46 AM
Jitterbug Offline
Co-Captain of Talkingship

Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!
Default Drill Baby Drill - Oopsie

Remember how all those Republicans were chanting "Drill Baby Drill" back a the last Republican National Convention? And did you know that Obama recently approved new off-shore drilling to increase American Oil Reserves...

Do you wonder if all those Republicans and Obama are regretting their support of off shore drilling in the wake of the recent tragic disaster in the gulf?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_louisi..._rig_explosion

Remember how everyone insisted that Off Shore Drilling was incredibly safe and better then Wind Farming? Where are those people now? I sure as fuck hope they are buying a ticket to Louisiana to wade out into the Gulf and do everything they can to mop up this immense natural disaster. Yeah - suuuurrrreeee looks safe to me.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:31 AM
Farva Offline
I'M NOT GONNA LIE TO YOU

Farva is on the way to becoming a legendary member of the forumsFarva is on the way to becoming a legendary member of the forumsFarva is on the way to becoming a legendary member of the forumsFarva is on the way to becoming a legendary member of the forumsFarva is on the way to becoming a legendary member of the forums

To be fair, I lived in one oil-rich state (Alaska) and recently moved to another (Texas). I've seen how offshore and on-shore drilling can be done safely, and without damaging the enviroment around it. A lot of people complain about the money we spend on oversite rules, and on safety inspectors, but this is the reason why every major oil spill in American history is from a crashed tanker and not from an actual drilling site. We can't cut corners. Other counties are not near as responsible. This is why they have more oil available, but also why they have world-wide headlines like you posted.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:38 AM
Jitterbug Offline

Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farva View Post
To be fair, I lived in one oil-rich state (Alaska) and recently moved to another (Texas). I've seen how offshore and on-shore drilling can be done safely, and without damaging the enviroment around it. A lot of people complain about the money we spend on oversite rules, and on safety inspectors, but this is the reason why every major oil spill in American history is from a crashed tanker and not from an actual drilling site. We can't cut corners. Other counties are not near as responsible. This is why they have more oil available, but also why they have world-wide headlines like you posted.
But this one isn't a crashed tanker. This is an actual well that is spilling over 5000 gallons of oil into the gulf every day. The oil is going to start reaching the shore in Louisiana this Friday, so expect to start hearing a lot more about this tragedy very soon.

It reminds me of how people insist that Nuclear energy is so incredibly safe now. The arguments are that the new plants (oil and nuclear) as so far advanced from the things of the past that accidents can't happen. Here's the issue... Accidents DO happen. By the very nature of the fact that they are called ACCIDENTS - they are mishaps that were not and probably could not have been predicted. Which of these three things would you rather be living by when an "accident" happens:

1 - Nuclear Power Plant
2 - Oil Rig
3 - Wind Farm

One of the major issues that proponents of Oil Drilling have against Wind Farming is that they say that the turbines can hurt wildlife. I shit you not. This is the top concern they post about their problems with Wind Farming.... Um. Seriously? First off, since when do you guys give a fuck about nature, and second, Off Shore Drilling is FARRRRrrr more harmful to wildlife then Wind Farming ever will be.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:41 AM
Farva Offline
I'M NOT GONNA LIE TO YOU

Farva is on the way to becoming a legendary member of the forumsFarva is on the way to becoming a legendary member of the forumsFarva is on the way to becoming a legendary member of the forumsFarva is on the way to becoming a legendary member of the forumsFarva is on the way to becoming a legendary member of the forums

I'm not arguing that this is from a tanker. I'm stating that it's happening in a region of the world where safety standards are subpar, and there is little oversite of the upkeep and maintanence. A nuclear reacter failed in Russia, but they had neglected basic maintanence for years prior to the accident. I'm sure both could have been avoided if due dilligence had been performed. I've worked on the North Slope (where we drill for oil in Alaska) and the amount of oversite borders on ludacris. This is why an accident like this would not happen here.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:16 PM
Jitterbug Offline

Quote:
I'm not arguing that this is from a tanker. I'm stating that it's happening in a region of the world where safety standards are subpar, and there is little oversite of the upkeep and maintanence. A nuclear reacter failed in Russia, but they had neglected basic maintanence for years prior to the accident. I'm sure both could have been avoided if due dilligence had been performed. I've worked on the North Slope (where we drill for oil in Alaska) and the amount of oversite borders on ludacris. This is why an accident like this would not happen here.
I still don't get your point though. This isn't a third world country oil drill that blew up. This is a BP drill, formerly owned by Amoco, off the coast of Louisiana. This is a US rig.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:33 PM
Farva Offline
I'M NOT GONNA LIE TO YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jitterbug View Post
I still don't get your point though. This isn't a third world country oil drill that blew up. This is a BP drill, formerly owned by Amoco, off the coast of Louisiana. This is a US rig.
Then I misread the article, and now feel like a complete jack-ass. Apparantly, I don't have a point at all.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:34 PM
Jitterbug Offline

Quote:
Then I misread the article, and now feel like a complete jack-ass. Apparantly, I don't have a point at all.
lol, that's okay. I like all your points.... rawr.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:51 PM
Lokela Offline
Chief Petty Officer (rank up at 1000 posts)

Lokela is becoming a valued member of the Talkingship Community

This really is a sad situation. It reminds me that we really need a better, safer and cheaper fuel solution. We depend way to much on oil.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:28 PM
Choopy Offline
The Elusive Chupacabro

Choopy has proven to be a well liked and respected member of the ship.Choopy has proven to be a well liked and respected member of the ship.

Well I'm convinced that Obama had this rig blown up to get out his "approval" of new off shore drilling.
It is also a fact that the Dem are the ones who want the wind mills, but not if they are near their houses.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/29/sc...pe.html?src=mv
I recall hearing Teddy Kennedy being one of the biggest opponents of wind farms on the eastern seaboard.
I've never heard any Conservative against the wind farms other than to say how ineffective they are in comparison to other types of energy.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:39 AM
Jitterbug Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choopy View Post
Well I'm convinced that Obama had this rig blown up to get out his "approval" of new off shore drilling.
It is also a fact that the Dem are the ones who want the wind mills, but not if they are near their houses.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/29/sc...pe.html?src=mv
I recall hearing Teddy Kennedy being one of the biggest opponents of wind farms on the eastern seaboard.
I've never heard any Conservative against the wind farms other than to say how ineffective they are in comparison to other types of energy.
You're a quack job, Choops. I'm convinced of it now. You think Obama blew up an oil rig to somehow get better approval ratings for his new oil rig... Wow dude. Seriously.