Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 79

Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 79
Is 3D already dying? - Talkingship Forums

Go Back   Talkingship Forums > Movies and Television > Coming Soon or Now in Theaters

Coming Soon or Now in Theaters What movies are coming out, or are currently in theaters, that you want to talk about?

Old 03-25-2010, 10:51 AM
Jitterbug Offline
Co-Captain of Talkingship

Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!
Default Is 3D already dying?

So, I saw Alice in Wonderland in 3D and all I have to say is...

"Meh."

It was okay, but certainly nothing that I''d ever care to see again. The 3D effects were equally 'Meh' and never really awed me until the end. The thing I'm wondering is if the 3D movement is starting the get stale.

I loved the 3D movies when they first started coming out, and the effects made mediocre films seem great. Like Monsters vs Aliens for instance; totally mediocre movie that I LOVED due to the 3D stuff. Perhaps Alice is an example of how merely having 3D effects is no longer good enough to catch people's attention.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:01 PM
r0per Offline
Co-Host of Polygamerous

r0per is becoming a valued member of the Talkingship Communityr0per is becoming a valued member of the Talkingship Community

i think its going to be gimicky at best. Until there is a way to make 3d more realistic... it will be a movie w/ some cool effects
Old 03-25-2010, 03:22 PM
Farva Offline
I'M NOT GONNA LIE TO YOU

Farva is on the way to becoming a legendary member of the forumsFarva is on the way to becoming a legendary member of the forumsFarva is on the way to becoming a legendary member of the forumsFarva is on the way to becoming a legendary member of the forumsFarva is on the way to becoming a legendary member of the forums
Default Quasi Impressed

I've only seen Avatar in 3D, an I was blown away. I have a one year old 52 inch HDTV that's completely paid off, and yet I foun myself looking at new TV's with 3D capabilities. Then I saw Avatar a week later on a screen that was not 3D. Like Jitterbug noticed with Mosters vs. Aliens, it was an ok movie at best. I think that in ten or fifteen years all visual media will be 3D, but right now it's just another new toy. Great when you open it at Christmas, but soon forgotten amidst everything else.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:39 PM
Cam-Dog Offline
Very Nearly Nicknamed Cumpuppy

Cam-Dog has proven to be a well liked and respected member of the ship.Cam-Dog has proven to be a well liked and respected member of the ship.Cam-Dog has proven to be a well liked and respected member of the ship.

I wouldn't say that its over, but more of a when uses right kinda thing like in Avatar and unlike the 3D in Jonas Brothers - The 3D Concert Experience and Alice in Wonderland (mind you I have not seen those two). 3D has potential but only when its not forced.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Choopy Offline
The Elusive Chupacabro

Choopy has proven to be a well liked and respected member of the ship.Choopy has proven to be a well liked and respected member of the ship.
Default I hope so

I'm not sure if this is a documented disability, but I am actually unable to enjoy 3D movies.
My eyes do not coordinate with one another to render the 3D effect. I tried with Jaws back in the day and again with the 3D Nightmare on Elmstreet. I leave frustrated and with a headache.
I am sick and tired of being taunted with the awesomeness of 3D potential while having to go to a regular 2D screen. It may just be a case of the grass being greener, but I feel like a one legged pirate watching a marathon.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:35 AM
Fisherman Offline
Video Game Community Manager

Fisherman is becoming a valued member of the Talkingship CommunityFisherman is becoming a valued member of the Talkingship Community

I don't think 3D is dying, I think you just saw a crappy 3D movie. There are bound to be crappy 3D movies, dude, especially with the prolification of the medium. Your last sentence rings true, merely having 3D effects doesn't make the movie interesting or groundbreaking anymore. It has to be implemented well. I don't see this as a sign of the decline of 3D though, I see it as a sign of the maturation of 3D. It has been around for a while, and we've all sort of gotten used to it (at least inside the confines of a theater). So now what it takes to really impress an audience is an inventive and intuitive application of it.

And Choops, man, I don't know what to say. That sucks.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:55 AM
El Mariachi Offline
Zorro's His Bitch

El Mariachi has proven to be a well liked and respected member of the ship.El Mariachi has proven to be a well liked and respected member of the ship.

3D is just a gimmick that is trying to save the movie industry from going downhill. In short, 3D stuff, at this moment, cannot be pirated or watched without special projectors(or glasses) thats why the tickets are more expensive.

But then there is the downside that now every movie wants to be 3D and uses some cheap tricks instead of well thought production. So yeah, it feels like a meh.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:48 PM
Farva Offline
I'M NOT GONNA LIE TO YOU

Farva is on the way to becoming a legendary member of the forumsFarva is on the way to becoming a legendary member of the forumsFarva is on the way to becoming a legendary member of the forumsFarva is on the way to becoming a legendary member of the forumsFarva is on the way to becoming a legendary member of the forums

I'm just waiting until they break the 4D out (the fourth dimention being time) so that if it's a truly retarded movie (like Alice in Wonderland), then I can at least get my wasted time back.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:16 PM
Lokela Offline
Chief Petty Officer (rank up at 1000 posts)

Lokela is becoming a valued member of the Talkingship Community

I agree with the statement that 3D, in movies, is a gimmick. I think that it will die off, like has in the past, then be resurrected sometime in the future. 3D just seems like a last ditch effort to get people to see a movie. I hope that when 3D gets brought back to life in the future, it'll be something similar to what they had in that movie with Juilett Lewis. You know, the one where she got topless and was on roller blades and such. They used these glasses as some sort of recording device. Then played them back like it was a memory or something....I don't know. Hmp, that doesn't really have anything to do with 3D does it. Oh well.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:23 PM
Jitterbug Offline
Co-Captain of Talkingship

Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokela View Post
I agree with the statement that 3D, in movies, is a gimmick. I think that it will die off, like has in the past, then be resurrected sometime in the future. 3D just seems like a last ditch effort to get people to see a movie. I hope that when 3D gets brought back to life in the future, it'll be something similar to what they had in that movie with Juilett Lewis. You know, the one where she got topless and was on roller blades and such. They used these glasses as some sort of recording device. Then played them back like it was a memory or something....I don't know. Hmp, that doesn't really have anything to do with 3D does it. Oh well.
That movie was Strange Days, and you're right, it didn't have anything to do with 3D lol. It was more about some sort of internet virtual reality thingydo.