Old 02-21-2011, 09:22 PM
DouchBaggins Offline
Petty Officer Third Class (rank up at 100 posts)

DouchBaggins is loved by somebody!
Send a message via Yahoo to DouchBaggins
Default Dragon Age 2

I know this is a gamer based (amongst others) forum, but I still felt the need to get the word out. Evidently, Dragon Age II is releasing the demo for the game tomorrow. Also, as stated on the facebook page, if the demo get's 1 million downloads by March 1st, there will be a couple of in game items added to the game when released on March 8th. So, if you do plan on buying the game, it would be at least best if you do download it. Though, I am sure with the Game of the Year title from the first installment, it won't have a problem reaching 1 mil downloads.

http://dragonage.bioware.com/da2/demo/

Last edited by DouchBaggins; 02-22-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:21 PM
Farva Offline
I'M NOT GONNA LIE TO YOU

Farva is on the way to becoming a legendary member of the forumsFarva is on the way to becoming a legendary member of the forumsFarva is on the way to becoming a legendary member of the forumsFarva is on the way to becoming a legendary member of the forumsFarva is on the way to becoming a legendary member of the forums

Thanks, I didn't know that. I will be downloading it ASAP. I can't wait.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:53 PM
Fisherman Offline
Video Game Community Manager

Fisherman is becoming a valued member of the Talkingship CommunityFisherman is becoming a valued member of the Talkingship Community

I'll download it too (on the PC and the 360), but I refuse to play it. I pre-ordered the game and will not taint any part of my experience with a preview of what's to come!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farva View Post
Then it the show began to have an identity crisis. It wouldn't play, we found it in my daughters room trying on a tiara, and it began to have a strange affection for Kenny G.
Was it also drinking a Dinky-Doodle?
Old 02-23-2011, 11:10 AM
DouchBaggins Offline

Well, I just ran through the demo, and the only thing that I can say is that if it is possible for a game to win game of the year awards in the first two installments, this is it. They completely changed everything from the way you take on the enemies, to the dialog methods. The graphics look cleaner and more fluid, yet it does endless nods towards the first Dragon Age. Also, once the actual game comes out, it is said that it will implement the decisions of the main character from the first game to set the story line. Also, for the demo, I have to admit that I got my butt handed to me on several different fights, so I had to change my tactics on how I took on different enemies. I just couldn't go in there and tank through the enemies like I have grown used to in the first installment.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:45 PM
DouchBaggins Offline

Well, I have been picking away on this game regularly since the midnight release, and made it through the first act. So far so great. First off I like the different looks for some of the characters and races (ie: Flemeth and the Qunari), as well as (SPOILER ALERT) some upgraded familiar faces of a couple of very familiar merchant-dwarves. Though, as I was saying, it is awesome that even from the first act of the game you are encountering various different outcomes from choices that you have made in the first game. Considering that this is a sort of a semi-Choose Your Own Adventure Fantasy RPG with various options from who follows you to war to who takes one for the Grey Warden Team. As I was discussing with my wife, with some of the outcomes, I would even consider going back to the first game and changing some of my decisions that I made then to affect the second game differently. It is an interesting concept that I had never even considered. Though, until the PlayStation Store reduces the price for the Awakening expansion, I will wait to completely finish the first game. In the meantime, I am going to savoir this game like a delicious frothy craft brewed beer.

The only issue that I do see with the game are some of the areas are copied for different quests in different areas, like a three dimensional jigsaw landscape puzzle. I have had a couple of instances of deja vu and had to remind myself that I was in the right place before turning around and finding the world map. Besides that, the game has only froze up twice in probably 8 hours of gameplay, which I don't hold against the game at all, considering that it is only a few days old.

By the way, while at GameStop picking up this game, I ran across a fairly cheap copy of Assassins Creed 1, so I am going to be working on that series throughout the year. I have been hearing nothing but great reviews for the entire series from this podcast, sarcastic gamer and IGN, so couldn't resist...though the laser eyed look from the wife was not very pleasant until I told her the deal that I got.

Last edited by DouchBaggins; 03-10-2011 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Forgot to list conns
Old 03-10-2011, 11:52 PM
Cam-Dog Offline
Very Nearly Nicknamed Cumpuppy

Cam-Dog has proven to be a well liked and respected member of the ship.Cam-Dog has proven to be a well liked and respected member of the ship.Cam-Dog has proven to be a well liked and respected member of the ship.

I hear the voice acting/dialog isnt that great and that its very linear. Thoughts?
Old 03-11-2011, 06:13 AM
DouchBaggins Offline

Excellent point, I would have to agree. At least in the first act, I probably went through 25-30 quests, the last of which was from a letter at the family slum house that in the previous game was optional, but even though I had gotten the necessary items to start the next act of the game, it wouldn't let me continue until I did the letter quest. Though, by that time, I didn't mind terribly much due to the equipment that I acquired throughout the quest and gold to upgrade everyones equipment. But, I won't go on record without saying that I was ready to move on about 20 quests into the Kirkwall act, and that it could be far less linear. But that is what makes gaming, the internet and forums such as this great in these days, there is a chance that the game developers will look upon forums such as this one for input and will likely put out a better game their next go around.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:40 PM
hatakraa Offline
Seaman Apprentice (rank up at 25 posts)

hatakraa is loved by somebody!

I haven't read any other reviews because I want my opinion to be fresh and not touched by anything else. Just finished it two minutes ago and I want to talk about it. Time for spoilers. If you don't want to be spoiled, look away.

FIrst off let me say I am not a fan of the new combat system. I preferred the micro-managing of the first game and how it got so complex and that every other battle you had to take it on in a different way. It was complex, well designed, and incredibly engaging. This battle system is a button masher and frankly, it's sad. This is supposed to be an rpg, not a god of war ripoff! They also made it seem like there were so few attacks for anybody. Unless you're a mage that is. Instead of different types of battle attacks for the soldier class, they just give you a jump strike and a rush attack......wow that was so pathetic that I forgot what snarky comment I was going to say about it. Talking bout mages they basically switched the difficulty curve for the entire game. Like how in the first, being a mage throughout the game was a bitch and that being a soldier was easy. In this game, it's too easy for you to be a mage and likewise with the soldier.

Now for the biggest gripe of the game, the customizability. They completely nerfed this end. You only get to pick three classes. No different species, no different class specifications oh and the level cap is 20. I found the customization of the character model to be minimal at most.

Also, what is with the constant references from the first game?!?! First off you get the two midgets(sorry truth'n'justice) that were at your camp in the first game. And the worst thing they could do, they do. The only shred of humor they pull out of this game is that the one with a mental disability that constantly says "Enchantments" is that he shows up randomly with piles of dead enemies around him and he then giggles and says "Boom". Really Bioware? You would stoop that low? To make a mental disability gag. I'm ashamed of you. I'm ashamed.

Also on a side note I named my mabari war hound FruFru The Destroyer Of Worlds.....What?

Also, you bring back the witch of the wilds from the first game and then leliana shows up at the ending for no reason whatsoever. Even alistar shows up for a second and then goes away. I mean, I'm sure the voice actor appreciates the paycheck but what purpose was he to the plot? What did he bring to the story? NOTHING! NOTHING AT ALL!

Next off the entire setup about how the game moves along is very linear and boring as fuck. There is no open freedom that you felt in the first, it just tells you, do this and this and this and this and then we’ll allow the plot to move along. It’s like they are pulling a red dead redemption here with how the plot roles. And don’t think for a second that these quests are just side stories because they show up later.

Continuing on, the map system is so streamlined and static that it only gives you 3 screens basically. You get night and day with Kirkwall and then a mountain top. Wow I cannot believe how much work went into this. Good job! In the end this only goes to show the complete and utter laziness of the entire design team for the infrastructure of the product.

And also, throughout the game you feel like that you have been going through the same damn area over and over and over again. They did not branch out when designing the dungeons and the complete areas upon which the quests are based. Once again. LAZY!

And if you think I’m done complaining, I’m not. Most of the boss fights turn out to be entirely one-sided with you raping the shit out of them. Now people may say “what about the higher difficulties?” I played on normal and in the end, the ending was laughable because it was a chick screaming I’M GLOWING! RAHHHHHHH ALL MUST DIEEEEEEE! SIEG HEIL! SEIG HEIL! ZUERST DIE MAGIER, DANN IST DIE WELT! And then everyone that is in your party as well as others totally gang rape her while she cries for help from statues of slaves.

In total this entire game is a lazy effort on the end of bioware. It shows what happens when you rush a project. That and when you don’t write a good script. Also one other thing, the party characters side stories were just boring and unengaging altogether. Well you may say to me, “Well at least the voice acting is good” Listen it’s bioware they always do that so they don’t get points for that anymore.

In total I give this game a 3 out of 10. For laziness, poor writing, poor infrastructural design of a game, loss of features from the first game, making a rpg a button masher, and the list goes on and on and on. Avoid this game.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:54 AM
DouchBaggins Offline

First off, I would like to be frank by saying that 1. I have yet to finish the game due to the fact that I work long hours during the weekend and don't have any hope of even touching the game til Sunday night at the earliest; 2. I am only a casual gamer, so my overall gaming experience is limited. So, I will only talk about what I know up to this point.

Hatakraa, I have to say that I disagree with you on several points that you have made. The first being the combat system is very much similar to the original game. I wouldn't lable it as another button masher as you have. In the game, yes you have to be quicker about your attacks and special skills due to the the increased amount of foes and the faster combat (yes, God of war like). But, as for choosing your six primary skills it is exactly the same. Though, I would also like to state that I don't go into the strategy options and tweak my characters with a fine tooth comb. (The one time I did, it was disastrous). But overall, the number of attack options are adequate. I also wouldn't go as far as saying that Dragon Age: Origins was Very complex. I had enough ease going through the game through every different class and race that I would and did recommend at every chance I got.

As for customizability, I was well aware from the beginning of development there was only going to be one race, so I was prepared. As for gripes, I have an issue with a the one set of armor that the companions always must wear and you cannot change but only upgrade. So, you pick up a ton of armor that you can't use and tend to hold onto it until your next market visit.

As for reoccurring NPCs, I appreciate seeing them and take it as a nod and bonus for the loyal fans of the series. I don't expect to take them with me into battle, for I have had my fun with all of them and am moving on with this next game.

I will leave it at that, and will probably continue on after completing the game.