Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 79
It's always bothered me...... - Talkingship Forums

Go Back   Talkingship Forums > The Main Deck > The Bridge

The Bridge The main forum area where you can post topics that don't fit in any other category.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:50 AM
Cobberwebb Offline
Petty Officer Third Class (rank up at 100 posts)

Cobberwebb is loved by somebody!
Send a message via Skype™ to Cobberwebb
Default It's always bothered me......

Just started reading Jitterbugs 'Deadlocked' and it's resurfaced a question I've always had. Why do zombies not attack/eat other zombies? It may have been addressed before but I've not seen any answers. Can they sense the other zombies? Is zombie flesh no good? Are they like 'The Flood' in Halo (do they have a collective conscious?)?
Not by all means complaining, it's just something that's always bothered me.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:30 PM
rasenganking Offline

rasenganking is loved by somebody!
Send a message via Skype™ to rasenganking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobberwebb View Post
Just started reading Jitterbugs 'Deadlocked' and it's resurfaced a question I've always had. Why do zombies not attack/eat other zombies? It may have been addressed before but I've not seen any answers. Can they sense the other zombies? Is zombie flesh no good? Are they like 'The Flood' in Halo (do they have a collective conscious?)?
Not by all means complaining, it's just something that's always bothered me.
I like the answer used in The Walking Dead. where they say that they can smell the living. So my more scientific answer would be: They are attracted to the scent of living flesh i.e. their sweat which like any kind of perspiration gives off a smell which they are attracted to as a food source.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:48 PM
Cobberwebb Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasenganking View Post
I like the answer used in The Walking Dead. where they say that they can smell the living. So my more scientific answer would be: They are attracted to the scent of living flesh i.e. their sweat which like any kind of perspiration gives off a smell which they are attracted to as a food source.
That's lame. I've never seen it and don't think I have time to start watching it from the beginning.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:40 PM
Jitterbug Offline
Co-Captain of Talkingship

Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!

I've always thought there was an enzyme or amino acid in human meat that zombies crave. This way, there is a particular reason they attack humans instead of dead things or animals.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:44 PM
rasenganking Offline

rasenganking is loved by somebody!
Send a message via Skype™ to rasenganking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jitterbug View Post
I've always thought there was an enzyme or amino acid in human meat that zombies crave. This way, there is a particular reason they attack humans instead of dead things or animals.
Nope in the second episode of the walking dead the ripped a horse apart
Old 12-12-2011, 01:36 AM
Cobberwebb Offline

I know zombies have increased strength so I wonder what other changes they go through. There's the smell thing so there must be some mutation in that department. What about the eyes? I wonder if there eyes mutate somewhat, more sensitive to heat sources therefore not attacking the already dead zombies. If it was an enzyme or amino acid wouldn't zombies still attack other zombies and once they realize, move on?
Old 12-12-2011, 11:07 AM
Jitterbug Offline
Co-Captain of Talkingship

Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobberwebb View Post
I know zombies have increased strength so I wonder what other changes they go through. There's the smell thing so there must be some mutation in that department. What about the eyes? I wonder if there eyes mutate somewhat, more sensitive to heat sources therefore not attacking the already dead zombies. If it was an enzyme or amino acid wouldn't zombies still attack other zombies and once they realize, move on?
Not if the pancreas ceases production of the enzyme upon death. I think that is the best route for a zombie series to go, and it is also why it bugs me when zombies eat animals in shows like The Walking Dead. If they were content eating anything but human flesh, they just aren't as scary anymore. The only way it works if they eat animals is if the writer/filmmaker is trying to make a point about human consumption of animal meat, but I don't think that's what the zombie stories out there have ever focused on.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:26 PM
Zombellic Offline
Seaman Apprentice (rank up at 25 posts)

Zombellic is loved by somebody!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jitterbug View Post
The We're Alive podcast show uses the same method.

What always gets me is if zombies eat their victims surely either the should be a lot less zombies about or lots of animated skulls laying about.

I guess the explanation never really addressed anywhere is that the infection only works on living tissue so zombies are only the result of those that survive a attack wounded.

That still seems flawed to me because if you survive wounded by "killing" your attacker then the zombie population doesn't grow and if you score more than 1 kill zombie whilst infected then you reduce the zombie population.

It's not really a subject that lends itself to deep thought is my conclusion.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:16 PM
Farva Offline
I'M NOT GONNA LIE TO YOU

Farva is on the way to becoming a legendary member of the forumsFarva is on the way to becoming a legendary member of the forumsFarva is on the way to becoming a legendary member of the forumsFarva is on the way to becoming a legendary member of the forumsFarva is on the way to becoming a legendary member of the forums

This thread has officially freaked me the fuck out. I'm going to go put on more deodorant now.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:19 AM
Cam-Dog Offline
Very Nearly Nicknamed Cumpuppy

Cam-Dog has proven to be a well liked and respected member of the ship.Cam-Dog has proven to be a well liked and respected member of the ship.Cam-Dog has proven to be a well liked and respected member of the ship.

To be fair I'd rather eat a living person than a dead person too.