Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 79
Does Album Art Matter Anymore? - Talkingship Forums

Go Back   Talkingship Forums > Sound > Other Music Topics

Other Music Topics Anything related to music that isn't about a specific band.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:59 AM
Cobberwebb Offline
Petty Officer Third Class (rank up at 100 posts)

Cobberwebb is loved by somebody!
Send a message via Skype™ to Cobberwebb
Post Does Album Art Matter Anymore?

Now that MP3's are dominating the market, does album art have a place anymore?
http://talkingship.com/wp/2012/01/30...atter-anymore/

Do you have a favourite album cover or do you not give a crap?
Old 01-30-2012, 03:59 PM
MarksmanShrimp Offline

MarksmanShrimp is completely neutral

I love album art personally, Cathedral have some of my favourites, along with Mastodon. Amon Amarth's Twilight of the Thunder God deserves a mention too.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:13 PM
Jitterbug Offline
Co-Captain of Talkingship

Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!

I love album art, especially records from the 70's. However, I love the convenience of digital downloads far more, and the medium should change to adapt to the new opportunities. Bands should look at creating interactive album art that can be viewed while listening to the music. Think of kids in the 70's tripping on acid and staring at the latest vinyl cover while the music plays - it'd be like that, but WAY MORE AWESOME.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:11 AM
Nerves Offline
Co-Captain of Talkingship

Nerves has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Nerves has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Nerves has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Nerves has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Nerves has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Nerves has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Nerves has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Nerves has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Nerves has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Nerves has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Nerves has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!

I am a dinosaur when it comes to how I feel about music as a thing. For me it is more than just what is coming out of the speakers. It's a living breathing entity that takes you to a place and creates ideas. Hell, I wrote a song about it recently for Fifty to Phoenix. I love the art and liner notes and the credits and guest musician acknowledgements. It all builds on the magic of music for me. I like Jitterbug's idea. It already exists on many newer albums. iTunes has interactive booklets for some albums when you purchase the whole thing. It could go a lot further though. Like having bio-links and facts when you click certain areas. I am rambling.
Cover art is important to me.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:05 AM
Cobberwebb Offline

I love some of the album art so much I went ahead and reproduced it on my bedroom walls when I was in my teens. I'll see if I can find any photos and post them. Luckly my parents liked it even though the massive one was of Vic (Megadeth) leaning on a 'for sale' sign.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:54 PM
MarksmanShrimp Offline

MarksmanShrimp is completely neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobberwebb View Post
I love some of the album art so much I went ahead and reproduced it on my bedroom walls when I was in my teens. I'll see if I can find any photos and post them. Luckly my parents liked it even though the massive one was of Vic (Megadeth) leaning on a 'for sale' sign.
Ah yeah, that album art for Peace Sells... But Who's Buying is good, I had a poster of their Youthanasia cover for years, until it ripped
Old 02-13-2012, 04:25 PM
Cobberwebb Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarksmanShrimp View Post
Ah yeah, that album art for Peace Sells... But Who's Buying is good, I had a poster of their Youthanasia cover for years, until it ripped
Had Youth on vinyl which was blue, Rust In Peace vinyl picture disc album (they played this album in it's entirety at download 2010 and that was the first time I saw them live, it was mental) , some other shaped picture discs, fucking loads. shame I got rid of them.