Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 79
Star Trek Online - Talkingship Forums

Go Back   Talkingship Forums > Videogames > PC Gaming

PC Gaming Do you prefer gaming on the PC? Then this is the place for you.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:11 PM
blackcat0158 Offline
Petty Officer Third Class (rank up at 100 posts)

blackcat0158 is loved by somebody!
Send a message via Skype™ to blackcat0158
Default Star Trek Online

I was wondering if any of the other shipheads out there play STO?

I was thinking we could get our own fleet together and steamroll the galaxy.

ID: @Blackcat0158
Old 04-23-2010, 08:45 AM
Jitterbug Offline
Co-Captain of Talkingship

Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!Jitterbug has acheived the ultimate rep rank!  Congratulations on being universally loved in the Talkingship Forums!

I had been really considering it, but I have been hearing bad things. From the reviews I have heard (really just from a couple of podcasts) it is a hell of a lot of fun at first, but after a couple days of playing it gets really tiresome and doesn't have much for experienced players to do. I would be interested in hearing your review of the game.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:48 AM
Fisherman Offline
Video Game Community Manager

Fisherman is becoming a valued member of the Talkingship CommunityFisherman is becoming a valued member of the Talkingship Community

I'm thinking about it, but I need to see how The Old Republic is received first. I'm sure I'll eventually get involved with one of these games, I'm just not sure which one yet.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:37 PM
DavGxyz Offline
Petty Officer First Class (rank up at 500 posts)

DavGxyz is loved by somebody!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
I'm thinking about it, but I need to see how The Old Republic is received first. I'm sure I'll eventually get involved with one of these games, I'm just not sure which one yet.
Took the word right out of my mouth! But I've been thinking about it also.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:24 PM
blackcat0158 Offline

blackcat0158 is loved by somebody!
Send a message via Skype™ to blackcat0158

Let me start off by admitting this is not a perfect game. Also, I am slightly inebriated, so this may contain a bit of rambling.

I jumped in and got a lifetime membership right off the bat, so I'll be playing this for a while. It started off amazingly, but I won't lie- I did put it down for a few weeks.

For those of you who don't know, the players are segregated into two separate groups: Klingon and Federation. It takes place after all of the movies (even the new one is tied into the story). Klingons and the Federation have had a falling out. Fed have the standard mission based MMO feel, while the Klingon side requires a little more focus on fighting other players.

You can customize your character to your heart's content- pick your class between engineering (mortar/turret/shield/mine fabrication, weapon enhancement buffs), tactical (grenades/melee), and science (buffs/debuffs, heal). You work your way up from a newbie flying a little ship around to a right-proper rear-admiral, commanding giant warships.

The ship-combat is pristine, almost naval-like in how it behaves. Each weapon has an "effective arc" wherein it can fire at an enemy. Some tricky maneuvering is required to become proficient at wiping out baddies. Your crew offers your chance to switch up your in-ship skills.(for example, some engineers will have skills to beef up your shields, while others focus on engines, weapons or repairs.)

Ground combat is surprisingly fun as well. You roll with your crew (or other players if you have teamed up), each of them having different skills. There are tons of different weapons, with different secondary firing and abilities (split-beams, overcharged shots, knockback, stun).

The story is well written, most of it is well executed. There are some missions that are damn near impossible to do on a regular pick-up game, but they're all fine with a group that knows what they're doing.

I'd give it a 7 on the Talking Ship scale.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:23 PM
Devette Offline

Devette is loved by somebody!

Just thought I'd throw this out there... but I believe my husband is Captain Ocean of the USS Oceanbreeze. If you come across him please feel free to faceroll him and then screen shot it and post it on the forums