Talkingship Forums

Talkingship Forums (http://talkingship.com/forums/index.php)
-   DVD and Blu-Ray (http://talkingship.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   I'm addicted to BluRays (http://talkingship.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84)

Jitterbug 03-25-2010 10:19 AM

I'm addicted to BluRays

As you all know, I am in love with the movie Black Dynamite. I must own it. Problem is, I want it on BluRay and NO ONE HAS IT!! So today I'm going to buy it online and have it shipped here.

But this made me realize that I have a problem: I'm addicted to BluRays! There is no reason that a movie like Black Dynamite needs to be purchased on BluRay. There aren't any kick-ass special effects! The camera was shot grainy and shitty on purpose. Even the sound was done half-ass because it is supposed to be a blacksploitation movie! Yet I will not allow myself to buy it on regular DVD.

DAMN YOU, CONSUMERISM and your fancy - awesome toys!!

Farva 03-25-2010 03:12 PM

Much More Selective

I've found that since I've gotten a Blu-Ray player (my PS3) I can not stand to watch movies on anything else. It's made me quite a spoiled snob in this fashion, but I've noticed an unintended side effect. I've found myself much more selective over the movies I purchase, simply due to the higher price point.
I know Blu-Rays have signifigantly dropped in price recently, but I still find myself wanting to know if it's worth spending $15 on Wyatt Earp, when a $3 dollar DVD copy is one bin over. I used to purchase dvd's on a whim. Go to the store for milk, bring home Undercover Brother. Now, I'm much more selective.

Jitterbug 03-25-2010 04:55 PM

Going to the store for milk and coming home with Undercover Brother sounds like the greatest damn grocery trip in history.

Farva 03-25-2010 05:15 PM

One up

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jitterbug (Post 126)
Going to the store for milk and coming home with Undercover Brother sounds like the greatest damn grocery trip in history.

Two weeks ago I hit Walmart for toilet paper. Ended up getting the original Boondock Saints on Blu-Ray for $3 because someone had mislabled it and thrown it in the cheap bin. Technically, I wasn't getting groceries but it was still pretty awesome.

Cam-Dog 03-25-2010 06:28 PM

I find myself buying a blu-ray on every Wal-Mart run or in every Amazon order I have nowadays.
This may sound like a lot but since I live in a small town this only happens a few times a month. Last time I got Black Dynamite and Blade Runner: Super Amazing Ultra Edition 4000

El Mariachi 03-26-2010 12:07 PM

There was a movie sale on the hollywood movies because they were going out of business. Bought like 3 dvds, 2 blurays and a crappy game for 20 bucks.

And yeah, there is something about blu-rays that amazes me. Maybe it is the sound quality and the almost uncompressed video that feels so good to watch.

(Also I'm excited that blu-ray burners are going down in prize and my school is getting a bunch in the next couple of months.yay)

RobT 03-26-2010 05:58 PM

I stopped buying DVD's a few years ago, but Blu-rays came out and suddenly i've built up 30ish already, I can't get enough of the things!

And when are they doing Aliens!?

Jitterbug 03-26-2010 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobT (Post 339)
I stopped buying DVD's a few years ago, but Blu-rays came out and suddenly i've built up 30ish already, I can't get enough of the things!

And when are they doing Aliens!?

Y E S ! I have been waiting for Alien and Aliens ever since I got my PS3

RobT 03-26-2010 06:13 PM

I heard that they're having to remaster Aliens as having so much detail doesn't flatter the sets, costumes and environments, but who gives a shit! it's going to be INSANE.

The thing i've noticed the most with blu-rays, is that it's evolved at the same time as 100hz+ TV's, which totally compliment each other. I turned the 100hz off the other day and everything looked ...jerky! amazing how quickly we get used to major changes in tech.

Jitterbug 03-26-2010 06:16 PM

Its getting pretty close to time for me to pluck down the cash for a new TV. My HDTV is a first gen 1080i. Seriously. It doesn't even use true HDMI, but rather the first gen HDMI that doesn't carry sound! So I run my HDMI from the PS3 into my Receiver and then from the receiver to the tv via the old HDMI. sigh. I really need to suck it up and get a new tv, but the last thing I want to do is haul this 500lb BEAST of an 85" rear projection screen up the basement stairs.