PDA

View Full Version : I'm addicted to BluRays

Jitterbug
03-25-2010, 10:19 AM
As you all know, I am in love with the movie Black Dynamite. I must own it. Problem is, I want it on BluRay and NO ONE HAS IT!! So today I'm going to buy it online and have it shipped here.

But this made me realize that I have a problem: I'm addicted to BluRays! There is no reason that a movie like Black Dynamite needs to be purchased on BluRay. There aren't any kick-ass special effects! The camera was shot grainy and shitty on purpose. Even the sound was done half-ass because it is supposed to be a blacksploitation movie! Yet I will not allow myself to buy it on regular DVD.

DAMN YOU, CONSUMERISM and your fancy - awesome toys!!

Farva
03-25-2010, 03:12 PM
I've found that since I've gotten a Blu-Ray player (my PS3) I can not stand to watch movies on anything else. It's made me quite a spoiled snob in this fashion, but I've noticed an unintended side effect. I've found myself much more selective over the movies I purchase, simply due to the higher price point.
I know Blu-Rays have signifigantly dropped in price recently, but I still find myself wanting to know if it's worth spending $15 on Wyatt Earp, when a $3 dollar DVD copy is one bin over. I used to purchase dvd's on a whim. Go to the store for milk, bring home Undercover Brother. Now, I'm much more selective.

Jitterbug
03-25-2010, 04:55 PM
Going to the store for milk and coming home with Undercover Brother sounds like the greatest damn grocery trip in history.

Farva
03-25-2010, 05:15 PM
Going to the store for milk and coming home with Undercover Brother sounds like the greatest damn grocery trip in history.

Two weeks ago I hit Walmart for toilet paper. Ended up getting the original Boondock Saints on Blu-Ray for $3 because someone had mislabled it and thrown it in the cheap bin. Technically, I wasn't getting groceries but it was still pretty awesome.

Cam-Dog
03-25-2010, 06:28 PM
I find myself buying a blu-ray on every Wal-Mart run or in every Amazon order I have nowadays.
This may sound like a lot but since I live in a small town this only happens a few times a month. Last time I got Black Dynamite and Blade Runner: Super Amazing Ultra Edition 4000

El Mariachi
03-26-2010, 12:07 PM
There was a movie sale on the hollywood movies because they were going out of business. Bought like 3 dvds, 2 blurays and a crappy game for 20 bucks.

And yeah, there is something about blu-rays that amazes me. Maybe it is the sound quality and the almost uncompressed video that feels so good to watch.

(Also I'm excited that blu-ray burners are going down in prize and my school is getting a bunch in the next couple of months.yay)

RobT
03-26-2010, 05:58 PM
I stopped buying DVD's a few years ago, but Blu-rays came out and suddenly i've built up 30ish already, I can't get enough of the things!

And when are they doing Aliens!?

Jitterbug
03-26-2010, 06:04 PM
I stopped buying DVD's a few years ago, but Blu-rays came out and suddenly i've built up 30ish already, I can't get enough of the things!

And when are they doing Aliens!?

Y E S ! I have been waiting for Alien and Aliens ever since I got my PS3

RobT
03-26-2010, 06:13 PM
I heard that they're having to remaster Aliens as having so much detail doesn't flatter the sets, costumes and environments, but who gives a shit! it's going to be INSANE.

The thing i've noticed the most with blu-rays, is that it's evolved at the same time as 100hz+ TV's, which totally compliment each other. I turned the 100hz off the other day and everything looked ...jerky! amazing how quickly we get used to major changes in tech.

Jitterbug
03-26-2010, 06:16 PM
Its getting pretty close to time for me to pluck down the cash for a new TV. My HDTV is a first gen 1080i. Seriously. It doesn't even use true HDMI, but rather the first gen HDMI that doesn't carry sound! So I run my HDMI from the PS3 into my Receiver and then from the receiver to the tv via the old HDMI. sigh. I really need to suck it up and get a new tv, but the last thing I want to do is haul this 500lb BEAST of an 85" rear projection screen up the basement stairs.

RobT
03-26-2010, 06:19 PM
85"! holy crap

Jitterbug
03-26-2010, 06:21 PM
85"! holy crap

Wait, that's a lie. It's a 65" not an 85"

Lokela
03-26-2010, 06:30 PM
@Jitters Psshhh, only an 65"??? Ha! Mine's like a .....a.....27"!

I'm not really sure if I can say that I'm addicted to buying BluRays. I tend to look for movies on BluRay first, and if I don't find it I'll wait for a few weeks 'til it comes out.

OK, OK....I'll admit it. Hello, my name is Lokela, and I'm addicted to BluRays.

RobT
03-26-2010, 06:31 PM
Wait, that's a lie. It's a 65" not an 85"

I make the same mistake when using dating sites..

UndeadDoG
03-26-2010, 06:56 PM
I was strolling through Walmart (rather weaving between forest camo covered and toothless beasts) the other day I noticed that they are cramming 4 classic films into 1 Blu-ray for around $20. And they had a ton of them. Sure, some of them had 3 great flicks and 1 turd, but its still a good thing for Blu-ray junkies.

Jitterbug
03-26-2010, 07:09 PM
I was strolling through Walmart (rather weaving between forest camo covered and toothless beasts) the other day I noticed that they are cramming 4 classic films into 1 Blu-ray for around $20. And they had a ton of them. Sure, some of them had 3 great flicks and 1 turd, but its still a good thing for Blu-ray junkies.

I've seen those for regular flicks, but not for BluRays. That might just send my addiction over the edge.

RobT
03-26-2010, 07:13 PM
Do you all go for the Extra Features too? I'm a sucker for a good commentary

muttonchop
03-26-2010, 07:43 PM
I think it's time I consider a blue ray player... but I also want a new playstation...

Wouldn't it be great if you could somehow combine the 2?

Nerves
03-26-2010, 07:59 PM
You might have something there muttonchop! And Jitterbug, you are crazy to think Black Dynamite isn't blu-necessary. The soundtrack is all original done in the 70's style and sounds great with all those effects coming through your speakers. The picture, although grainy still has a much cleaner appearance and sharper lines. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre was one I was not super excited about watching for the visuals, but wow did blu-ray make a difference. I wasn't expecting it, but that film is even better. I can't wait to hear your review after you get it.

Cam-Dog
04-06-2010, 12:51 AM
*fluter* You hear that ? Its the sound of my wallet getting 50 bucks lighter because The Lord of the Rings Trilogy is coming out on Bluray tomorrow.
My poor wallet may take another beating when Tombstone comes out later this month too.

MrSoft
04-06-2010, 02:38 AM
My name is MrSoft and I too am a BluRay addict. Before I went to university I had never really bought movies (on DVD or BluRay), I always thought it was a waste. Since then I've not only started buying films but after just 2 DVD purchases decided I can't buy any film from now on that's not on BluRay. If I do I just feel an empty feeling inside every time I glance at my film collection and see it's grey box towering clumsily over it's sleek blue successors.

I went out to get some supplies the other week and came back 38 lighter with Moon, Milk and Hurt Locker (on BluRay) in my excited little mitts. More recently I've come to be in express need of a copy of The Lion King and find that it's not rumoured to be released on BluRay until October 2011... WTF am I supposed to do with that? I can't buy it on DVD, I'll just end up hating it's very presence on my shelf.

Ryno r13
04-06-2010, 06:45 AM
Quick warning to everyone considering the LOTR bluerays on Tuesday. Apparently it only has the teatrical releases, not the extended cut. Those will come out later, I almost ordered these on amazon before finding that out. Just wanted to make sure no on else did the same.

Jitterbug
04-06-2010, 08:33 AM
Quick warning to everyone considering the LOTR bluerays on Tuesday. Apparently it only has the teatrical releases, not the extended cut. Those will come out later, I almost ordered these on amazon before finding that out. Just wanted to make sure no on else did the same.

Damn you Peter Jackson! Damn you to HELL!!

Cam-Dog
04-06-2010, 10:45 PM

Thanks for the tip man I would have found this out before I bought them but thanks for saving me the trouble.

Farva
04-06-2010, 11:05 PM
Hello, my name is Farva and I'm a Blu-ray Addict.

(Waiting for your reply..................none follows................fuck you guys, then)

Anyway, I've been an Addict since I first bought my PS3 in May of 2008. Since then, if I've purchased a film, it was always on Blu-ray. At first is was the major releases. Batman Begins, Dark Knights, Iron Man, etc. Now, it's movies I don't even care about. 50 First Dates, Night at the Museum, Invincible, hell even Independence Day.

Thanks to Walmarts Roll-back prices, I can't stop. If a Blu-ray is less then fifteen dollars, I find a way to sneak it into my cart. Doesn't matter if I don't really like the movie, I'll say "Well, I bet the part where he punches the alien and says "Welcome to Earth" will look good". It's a sickness.

I've recently taken a step back. I started shopping at Kroger and have backed away from the video sections all together. I avoid Best Buy like it's on fire, and will drive four blocks out of my way to avoid Walmart. I'm being strong................

My wife just informed me she purchased the LOTR set online, and it'll be here next week.

Fuck it, I'm going shopping......

NuclearNinja
04-07-2010, 01:53 PM
Never saw a blu ray movie, YET!