PDA

View Full Version : Drill Baby Drill - Oopsie

Jitterbug
04-29-2010, 10:46 AM
Remember how all those Republicans were chanting "Drill Baby Drill" back a the last Republican National Convention? And did you know that Obama recently approved new off-shore drilling to increase American Oil Reserves...

Do you wonder if all those Republicans and Obama are regretting their support of off shore drilling in the wake of the recent tragic disaster in the gulf?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_louisiana_oil_rig_explosion

Remember how everyone insisted that Off Shore Drilling was incredibly safe and better then Wind Farming? Where are those people now? I sure as fuck hope they are buying a ticket to Louisiana to wade out into the Gulf and do everything they can to mop up this immense natural disaster. Yeah - suuuurrrreeee looks safe to me.

Farva
04-29-2010, 11:31 AM
To be fair, I lived in one oil-rich state (Alaska) and recently moved to another (Texas). I've seen how offshore and on-shore drilling can be done safely, and without damaging the enviroment around it. A lot of people complain about the money we spend on oversite rules, and on safety inspectors, but this is the reason why every major oil spill in American history is from a crashed tanker and not from an actual drilling site. We can't cut corners. Other counties are not near as responsible. This is why they have more oil available, but also why they have world-wide headlines like you posted.

Jitterbug
04-29-2010, 11:38 AM
To be fair, I lived in one oil-rich state (Alaska) and recently moved to another (Texas). I've seen how offshore and on-shore drilling can be done safely, and without damaging the enviroment around it. A lot of people complain about the money we spend on oversite rules, and on safety inspectors, but this is the reason why every major oil spill in American history is from a crashed tanker and not from an actual drilling site. We can't cut corners. Other counties are not near as responsible. This is why they have more oil available, but also why they have world-wide headlines like you posted.

But this one isn't a crashed tanker. This is an actual well that is spilling over 5000 gallons of oil into the gulf every day. The oil is going to start reaching the shore in Louisiana this Friday, so expect to start hearing a lot more about this tragedy very soon.

It reminds me of how people insist that Nuclear energy is so incredibly safe now. The arguments are that the new plants (oil and nuclear) as so far advanced from the things of the past that accidents can't happen. Here's the issue... Accidents DO happen. By the very nature of the fact that they are called ACCIDENTS - they are mishaps that were not and probably could not have been predicted. Which of these three things would you rather be living by when an "accident" happens:

1 - Nuclear Power Plant
2 - Oil Rig
3 - Wind Farm

One of the major issues that proponents of Oil Drilling have against Wind Farming is that they say that the turbines can hurt wildlife. I shit you not. This is the top concern they post about their problems with Wind Farming.... Um. Seriously? First off, since when do you guys give a fuck about nature, and second, Off Shore Drilling is FARRRRrrr more harmful to wildlife then Wind Farming ever will be.

Farva
04-29-2010, 11:41 AM
I'm not arguing that this is from a tanker. I'm stating that it's happening in a region of the world where safety standards are subpar, and there is little oversite of the upkeep and maintanence. A nuclear reacter failed in Russia, but they had neglected basic maintanence for years prior to the accident. I'm sure both could have been avoided if due dilligence had been performed. I've worked on the North Slope (where we drill for oil in Alaska) and the amount of oversite borders on ludacris. This is why an accident like this would not happen here.

Jitterbug
04-29-2010, 12:16 PM
I'm not arguing that this is from a tanker. I'm stating that it's happening in a region of the world where safety standards are subpar, and there is little oversite of the upkeep and maintanence. A nuclear reacter failed in Russia, but they had neglected basic maintanence for years prior to the accident. I'm sure both could have been avoided if due dilligence had been performed. I've worked on the North Slope (where we drill for oil in Alaska) and the amount of oversite borders on ludacris. This is why an accident like this would not happen here.

I still don't get your point though. This isn't a third world country oil drill that blew up. This is a BP drill, formerly owned by Amoco, off the coast of Louisiana. This is a US rig.

Farva
04-29-2010, 01:33 PM
I still don't get your point though. This isn't a third world country oil drill that blew up. This is a BP drill, formerly owned by Amoco, off the coast of Louisiana. This is a US rig.

Then I misread the article, and now feel like a complete jack-ass. Apparantly, I don't have a point at all.

Jitterbug
04-29-2010, 01:34 PM
Then I misread the article, and now feel like a complete jack-ass. Apparantly, I don't have a point at all.

lol, that's okay. I like all your points.... rawr.

Lokela
04-29-2010, 01:51 PM
This really is a sad situation. It reminds me that we really need a better, safer and cheaper fuel solution. We depend way to much on oil.

Choopy
04-29-2010, 11:28 PM
Well I'm convinced that Obama had this rig blown up to get out his "approval" of new off shore drilling.
It is also a fact that the Dem are the ones who want the wind mills, but not if they are near their houses.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/29/science/earth/29cape.html?src=mv
I recall hearing Teddy Kennedy being one of the biggest opponents of wind farms on the eastern seaboard.
I've never heard any Conservative against the wind farms other than to say how ineffective they are in comparison to other types of energy.

Jitterbug
04-30-2010, 09:39 AM
Well I'm convinced that Obama had this rig blown up to get out his "approval" of new off shore drilling.
It is also a fact that the Dem are the ones who want the wind mills, but not if they are near their houses.
I recall hearing Teddy Kennedy being one of the biggest opponents of wind farms on the eastern seaboard.
I've never heard any Conservative against the wind farms other than to say how ineffective they are in comparison to other types of energy.

You're a quack job, Choops. I'm convinced of it now. You think Obama blew up an oil rig to somehow get better approval ratings for his new oil rig... Wow dude. Seriously.

Choopy
04-30-2010, 02:42 PM
Not to get better ratings. You are so short sighted.

It was part of a bigger plan all along.

He recently 'endorsed' off shore drilling to save face and appear to be sympathetic to those who wish to have more offshore drilling. Now we all know that he and the the left is against offshore drilling. He was able to say this knowing that there would never actually be new off shore drilling rigs.

And to make sure there was no chance.......

I fully admit that is an unfounded conspiracy theory. But being from Chicago, you should know that there is a real possibility that I am right.

daCooksta
04-30-2010, 03:37 PM
Sounds like something Norman Osborn would do.

Jitterbug
04-30-2010, 03:59 PM
Seriously Choops, you're off the deep end on this one.

Choopy
04-30-2010, 05:03 PM
Why not consider it as a possibility?

Choopy
04-30-2010, 05:20 PM
I'll be honest. I've not read any blogs or listened to any right wing theories on this issue until right now. I was looking for interviews with someone who was removed from the rig.
This is my opinion from what I see.
There has been no interviews with the people removed from there. There has been no speculation let alone evidence of what caused this.
It's fishy.
The blog I read also pointed out that these rigs have been through many hurricanes and we've never seen anything like this.
They are sending SWAT teams to other rigs.

Something doesn't add up.

I'm not a nut job because I have suspicions of people manipulating real world events for personal gain.

Farva
04-30-2010, 07:50 PM

Yeah! That's the point I was trying to make!:Laugh:

Jitterbug
05-01-2010, 01:51 PM
I'll be honest. I've not read any blogs or listened to any right wing theories on this issue until right now. I was looking for interviews with someone who was removed from the rig.
This is my opinion from what I see.
There has been no interviews with the people removed from there. There has been no speculation let alone evidence of what caused this.
It's fishy.
The blog I read also pointed out that these rigs have been through many hurricanes and we've never seen anything like this.
They are sending SWAT teams to other rigs.

Something doesn't add up.

I'm not a nut job because I have suspicions of people manipulating real world events for personal gain.

I'm not going to discuss your insane conspiracy theories. I'll treat them the same way I treated the dumb ass "9-11 was an inside job" theories that were levied against Bush by Liberal friends of mine... BULL SHIT. It's ignorant conjecture that is dangerous to participate in. When you have PROOF, then you can start accusing Obama of wilfully blowing up Oil Rigs.

And I'd love to address the issue of Kennedy not wanting Wind Farms in Chesapeake Bay. He was an asshole for saying that and wrong in every way. I don't agree with him just because he's a democrat, I think his reluctance to allow wind farms to be placed in his 'backyard' was an example of poor leadership.

And if you actually want to look into the facts about wind energy, please visit this site that will answer most of your questions
http://www.awea.org/faq/wwt_environment.html#What are wind powers other environmental impacts

I don't think that wind energy is the 100% solution to the fuel crisis, but it sure as help won't HURT matters!!!! The fact is, oil is not infinite - we are going to run out of it. Many experts are warning that we are running out of oil faster then ever thought.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/world-oil-supplies-are-set-to-run-out-faster-than-expected-warn-scientists-453068.html

So, knowing that oil will run out within, at the latest, our children's lifetimes - why the hell would you be so proactive to support building more oil drills? Why wouldn't we start trying to figure out OTHER ways of developing clean energy? The logic on the side of the Palin 'Drill Baby Drillers' is utterly beyond me. It makes no sense what so ever.

Choopy
05-01-2010, 06:17 PM
I am not opposed to wind, nuclear, natural gas, and other forms of energy.
I am not for disrupting the natural flow of the transition though.
Tax credits for using clean fuel is ok. Requiring MPGs that are not feasible, unfairly taxing higher consuming engines, etc are not ok. Carbon Credits, Cap and trade are not ok.
Creating incentives for innovation in this field is ok.

I've worked on these wind farms. I know a bit about it.They do produce energy. However, it also takes a lot of carbon fuel based equipment to put them up, build the turbines, etc. See if an electric crane can handle a 400 wind mill. Some estimates say that recouping the 'footprint' imposed to create these farms could not be made up by energy produced by the wind farms.

Since I'm already a nut case, I'll throw another conspiracy theory at you. The suppression of advanced technology that would render exorbitant carbon fuel use down to minimal, eco friendly, and sustainable quantities. (there is actually more evidence of this than there is to my Obama oil rig terrorism theory, but i'm not going in the mood to research it to cite here) This is where the government should be focusing. Rival the incentives big oil offers to suppress them. Make this practice illegal. The market will take care of the rest better than arbitrary regulations they impose to punish usage of necessary facets of our economy.

What is the problem with oil running out anyway? Wouldn't that solve all of your problems? Who cares? We need it now. We use it. We will find an alternative eventually.

r0per
05-06-2010, 01:21 PM
Having been born, raised and still living in Louisiana I can say that off shore drilling for as many rigs that we have out there is a safe process. The information that has come out is that all of the fail safes for the drilling rig failed.

Now BP is pointing the finger to the owner of the rig and the owner of the rig is pointing the finger at BP.

Personally, I don't give a shit who's fault it is. The accident happened. Ok fine. Be a man, step the fuck up and clean up/fix your problem before it fucks my state's economy. Yes oil and natural gas are major industries in the louisiana gulf region. There is also the seafood industry. Shrimp, fish, oysters etc. The oyster beds are very fragile to environmental changes. While it took the government 8 days to decide to get involved (can we say Katrina-esque response time?) the oil slick grew.

The swamps and coastlines of Louisiana have been protected for years under several state and federal projects. It was shocking to me that with the "environmental friendly" government took so long to take a more aggressive stance knowing that there are federally protected areas here.

Jitterbug
05-06-2010, 02:18 PM
Having been born, raised and still living in Louisiana I can say that off shore drilling for as many rigs that we have out there is a safe process. The information that has come out is that all of the fail safes for the drilling rig failed.

Now BP is pointing the finger to the owner of the rig and the owner of the rig is pointing the finger at BP.

Personally, I don't give a shit who's fault it is. The accident happened. Ok fine. Be a man, step the fuck up and clean up/fix your problem before it fucks my state's economy. Yes oil and natural gas are major industries in the louisiana gulf region. There is also the seafood industry. Shrimp, fish, oysters etc. The oyster beds are very fragile to environmental changes. While it took the government 8 days to decide to get involved (can we say Katrina-esque response time?) the oil slick grew.

The swamps and coastlines of Louisiana have been protected for years under several state and federal projects. It was shocking to me that with the "environmental friendly" government took so long to take a more aggressive stance knowing that there are federally protected areas here.

Now they are planning on using a dispersion chemical that is arguably more dangerous to the environment then the oil itself. Way to go, guys!!

Choopy
05-06-2010, 02:40 PM
I'm going to take this opportunity to defend myself. Not my admittedly far fetched conspiracy theory, but my reasoning for coming up with it. I am not such a wack job apparently.

3srghy2IFBg

He is saying EXACTLY what I said, that is not far fetched for someone to cause mass chaos for a political agenda.
There are other examples of people with similar sentiments.

Jitterbug
05-06-2010, 03:59 PM
@ Choops

WHHHAAAAAATTTTTT? You're comparing Bloomberg saying that the NYC bomber was some wack job that might have some stupid political agenda to your assertion that Obama orchestrated the Oil Rig explosion? You, sir, are more then welcome to the Crazy-Person-Dunce-Cap that I've been saving for the person that deserved it most.

r0per
05-06-2010, 05:27 PM
Now they are planning on using a dispersion chemical that is arguably more dangerous to the environment then the oil itself. Way to go, guys!!

My point exactly. They seem to be piling one problem on top of the other and compounding things.

They are going from bad to worse to wtf.. They don't seem to be paying attention to anything. they are truly messing with the lively hood and ecconomy.

Jitterbug
05-06-2010, 05:40 PM
My point exactly. They seem to be piling one problem on top of the other and compounding things.

They are going from bad to worse to wtf.. They don't seem to be paying attention to anything. they are truly messing with the lively hood and ecconomy.

Agreed. Although I place most of the blame on BP versus on the government. I think the response was less then it should have been, but the fact that BP had ZERO back-up plan for this sort of accident is shocking. I agree that the government should be stricter on their demands from Oil companies concerning safety standards, but if Coal Mining has taught us anything, it's that putting money in the back pockets of politicians is the single best way to get them to turn a blind eye to your activities. Also, it is NOT lost on me that BP gave more money to Obama then any other politician out there - Money corrupts.

Choopy
05-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Also, it is NOT lost on me that BP gave more money to Obama then any other politician out there - Money corrupts.

Props to Bill Mahr for pointing that out.

Also, how can you possibly not see the parallel? Bloomberg thinks someone would blow something up, kill people, bring our economy to it's knees for a political agenda. I think the same is possible.

How am I crazy? I don't claim to have proof that Obama is responsible. My point is that is a possibility. And this line of thinking is exactly what led Bloomberg to his assertion. There are questions that have not been answered. The timing is suspect. His background makes it all the more credible to consider.

Maybe Bill Aires did it. At least he has a history of such things. Tim McVey, abortion clinic bombings, and countless other examples of domestic terrorism cover both political agendas. This is not crazy thinking.

r0per
05-07-2010, 09:23 AM
I think we agree on a lot of points Jitterbug.

I'm not fully blaming the government at all. To me an oil spill in the gulf should be an immediate emergency situation, no matter what (insert company name here) says. BP should have had resources in place wherever they are drilling to handle any kind of emergency.
With all the oil rigs that are off shore in the gulf you would think there would be some sort of emergency response station setup by the oil companies to handle any situation and not relying on the government and the Coast Guard. Those guys have enough on their hands without having to clean up after the oil companies.

Fishing in the Federally protected waters (shrimp, crab, oyster and various types of fish) has been suspended due to the oil slick as it is. This will impact both the local and national economies. Health warnings have already been issued in the coastal areas. They have started tested coastal water supplies and are testing what seafood is coming out of the gulf right now for contaminates.

Not to mention if the oil slick moves into the south and southwest passes (2 of the major ways to get from the Gulf of Mexico to the Mississippi River) are closed off due to the slick then a lot of other industries will be affected since they will not be able to import or get anything via those shipping lanes.

A good bit of my reaction and thinking is frustration right now. I live and work here. I know people that this is directly impacting. It is frustrating to see that BP is more worried about pointing the finger of blame than they are at cleaning up their mess. There will be plenty of time to sort out all the stuff later.

I can link local articles if you would like.

Jitterbug
05-07-2010, 10:29 AM
I think we agree on a lot of points Jitterbug.

I'm not fully blaming the government at all. To me an oil spill in the gulf should be an immediate emergency situation, no matter what (insert company name here) says. BP should have had resources in place wherever they are drilling to handle any kind of emergency.
With all the oil rigs that are off shore in the gulf you would think there would be some sort of emergency response station setup by the oil companies to handle any situation and not relying on the government and the Coast Guard. Those guys have enough on their hands without having to clean up after the oil companies.

Fishing in the Federally protected waters (shrimp, crab, oyster and various types of fish) has been suspended due to the oil slick as it is. This will impact both the local and national economies. Health warnings have already been issued in the coastal areas. They have started tested coastal water supplies and are testing what seafood is coming out of the gulf right now for contaminates.

Not to mention if the oil slick moves into the south and southwest passes (2 of the major ways to get from the Gulf of Mexico to the Mississippi River) are closed off due to the slick then a lot of other industries will be affected since they will not be able to import or get anything via those shipping lanes.

A good bit of my reaction and thinking is frustration right now. I live and work here. I know people that this is directly impacting. It is frustrating to see that BP is more worried about pointing the finger of blame than they are at cleaning up their mess. There will be plenty of time to sort out all the stuff later.

I can link local articles if you would like.

It must be a dramatic thing for you out there. I don't think we'll fully comprehend the economic damage this has done for years, let alone the environmental damage. I would love to read any local links you have on the subject. I used to live in SE Texas, near Beaumont, and my dad worked in the oil refineries that litter the coast there. I know a lot about how important that business is to the area, and I also know damn well what having refineries up and down your coast can do to the natural "beauty" of your surroundings.

r0per
05-07-2010, 12:41 PM
It must be a dramatic thing for you out there. I don't think we'll fully comprehend the economic damage this has done for years, let alone the environmental damage. I would love to read any local links you have on the subject. I used to live in SE Texas, near Beaumont, and my dad worked in the oil refineries that litter the coast there. I know a lot about how important that business is to the area, and I also know damn well what having refineries up and down your coast can do to the natural "beauty" of your surroundings.

Here are some of the Local News Agencies:
Channel 2 and the Advocate Newspaper (BR ABC Affiliate) (http://2theadvocate.com)
Channel 9 (BR CBS Affiliate) (http://www.wafb.com)
Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/)
Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality (http://www.deq.louisiana.gov/portal/)
New Orleans Channel 4 (http://www.wwltv.com/)
New Orleans Channel 6 (http://www.wdsu.com/index.html)
Louisiana Bucket Brigade (http://oilspill.labucketbrigade.org/main)

I hope some of these links help the news agencies will have breaking news. DEQ and LDWF will have more of a state view of the areas and what the departments are tracking. LA bucket brigade is a site where locals put in information to help track the spill.

As I find more detailed info I will post the links for you. These should give you a decent idea of what has been impacted so far.. and what is going to be impacted as things progress.

r0per
05-11-2010, 08:40 AM
Just an update on what is going on. There is a senate hearing today on the matter and the companies are already pointing fingers all over the place. Nothing that has been attempted has worked.. so things are steadily getting worse. They dispense more checmical and try to burn off more oil but at what cost?

Also we are nearing hurricane season which starts June 1st. With the storm surge associated with these storms, if they don't stem the flow of oil somehow then the oil slick can very well get pushed inland and on shore into a lot of the more fragile environmental areas like swamps and marshes. If the oil slick rides the storm surge and follow the waterways to the Mississippi River or Lake Ponchatrain then you are possibly looking at waterways that run through and around cities with an oil slick in them depending on the level of storm surge and the strength of the storm. Now it brings places like Baton Rouge and New Orleans under direct fire.

Given early season storms are usually weak or don't normally hit us. There is always that off chance. Working for the city like I do it adds an entire other layer of problems that we now need to prepare for as we get ready for storm season.

As you can see things are pretty much where they were a week ago. Just thought I'd give everyone an update.

Jitterbug
05-11-2010, 08:44 AM
Damn, Roper. Good luck out there. All politics aside, when a disaster like this happens we need to all work together on fixing the problem. The fact that the pipe line is STILL pouring oil into the ocean is shocking. How did no one have a plan for this sort of thing? Why aren't there shut-off valves all along the line? Crazy.

Choopy
05-11-2010, 05:51 PM
I'll be honest, other than giving JB a hard time and ruffling his feathers on this matter, I really don't know much about this.

How did the pipe break off so deep? Was the platform totally demolished in the explosion? Do they have any idea what caused it yet?

I've heard that there is still oil in the water from the Exxon spill 20 years ago. This is pretty crazy.

Jitterbug
05-13-2010, 08:53 AM
I'll be honest, other than giving JB a hard time and ruffling his feathers on this matter, I really don't know much about this.

How did the pipe break off so deep? Was the platform totally demolished in the explosion? Do they have any idea what caused it yet?

I've heard that there is still oil in the water from the Exxon spill 20 years ago. This is pretty crazy.

They are still trying to figure out what caused the explosion itself. It occurred on 4-20 (OMG- they must have been smoking dope up there!) and the explosion caused the entire platform to sink. That's when the line snapped at the bottom of the pipe.

Currently there is an estimated 4.8 million gallons leaked. Check the most frequent number here: http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/2010/05/how-much-oil-has-spilled-in-the-gulf-of-mexico.html

r0per
05-14-2010, 10:37 AM
Seems the news that we are hearing locally is the shut off system had a dead battery. It is theorized that a methane gas pocket made its way into the pipe and that is what caused the explosion.

Once the rig exploded, seems no one tried to fight the fire and they evac'd the rig. The rig has some damage but isn't destroyed. Seems their attempts at putting bells or whatever on top of the pipe isn't working.. now they are going to try to tap the pipe with another one and siphon off some of the oil that way.

As of current there are different sets of numbers on how much oil per day is flowing out. BP gives one. The Coast Guard and others give us another number. I think no one really knows how much per day actually.

Wildlife has been washing up ashore deceased and they are closing more and more fishing areas of the state. So far no commercial traffic entering the river from the gulf has had to be cleaned and the AG here has put the price gouging law into effect.

Seems no one still knows what to do.

Some sightings of oil on the barrier islands has been reported as well. Although everything you hear from news sources says "the majority of the spill is still in the gulf"

r0per
05-21-2010, 07:37 AM
Just wanted to give an update: News sites are now reporting oil has hit land. Tar balls are washing up in Florida. Almost a full month, and nothing of any importance is really happening. Now they are worried about the chemical cleanup they have been using. Did I mention its use was banned in England & Europe?

Seafood Fishing areas that can be open are. But they are watching everything closely.
alot of places were open for a bit. So they could harvest oysters etc before the oil destroyed the areas.

Jitterbug
05-30-2010, 08:42 AM
BP fails again. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_gulf_oil_spill

The oil is still pouring into the gulf.

r0per
06-03-2010, 10:51 AM
seems like they are never gonna get this under control... just really gets me fired up! its been over a month of oil spilling into the gulf.. and we have no ideas or anything... really? we can send a man to the moon and create weapons to destroy all life on earth... but we can't stop oil coming from under the ocean?

r0per
06-03-2010, 12:28 PM
not real sure where to put this.. but figured this would be the place since its releveant to the discussion...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Du2O8MY5CrI&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Du2O8MY5CrI&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

TheStonedSheep
07-12-2010, 03:21 AM
This spill wasn't Britain's fault. Nor was it Obama's, or the US government's, BP's and the oil rig contractor. It was the West's dependence on oil due to our luxurious, and wasteful lifestyle.

Oil is used to take us to work, keep our homes warm, makes our TVs turn on, and keeps our homes dry. We take all of that stuff for granted, and waste it constantly. We also take for granted the low price, especially in the US, which allows us to waste even more.

The high demand, and low price have forced companies like BP to go to places, like the Gulf of Mexico, where they previously wouldn't have had to go to. And, as it looks like, cut corners in some areas.

Something was going to go wrong. I wasn't a question of if, more of when.

Obviously the disaster has had a terrible effect on the US environment, but, in some ways that may be a good thing.

If this sort of disaster had happened to a 3rd world country, in which it's people can barely afford food, let alone a car or heating, it would have caused outrage. For about 2 weeks. Every news outlet would be talking about it, every charity collecting to help the victims, and then everyone would forget, and go back to being wasteful.

But instead it's happened to the country which consumes almost a quarter of the oil in the world with only 4.5% of the worlds population. Hopefully this will help the West (more specifically the US) realize that they cannot continue using oil in the way they do. That they must a) stop using as much oil b) accept price rises or c) invest in renewable energy.

I hope for the the sake of the US, and the rest of the world that they pick option C.

But that's just my opinion.

muttonchop
07-18-2010, 05:59 AM
When TSS mentioned (c): Renewable Resources, I couldn't help but think back to a video I'd seen, from a show called the Gruen Transfer.

In it, there is a section called "The Pitch", where 2 advertising agencies are tasked with trying to sell the unsellable, and put a positive spin on something normally un-spinnable.

Their task was to make an oil spill seem like a good thing. This was the result...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lhYXSOOAN5I&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?color1=0x006699&amp;color2=0 x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lhYXSOOAN5I&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?color1=0x006699&amp;color2=0 x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I was having some issues with uploading this video. If it didn't load up, go here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhYXSOOAN5I

Plereehep
07-21-2011, 06:58 PM
SARAH PALIN SAYS "DRILL BABY DRILL"

President Obama is wrong on this issue.....we must find other sources for energy independence other than off shore drilling........President Obama is great, but on this issue he has been advised wrong. The risk is just too high for any gain we may achieve.