PDA

View Full Version : Front Projection TVs

Jitterbug
04-23-2010, 04:25 PM
Well, I have come to a decision.

I am going to begin getting prepared (ie saving) to get a front projector for my man cave. I currently have an older generation Sony 65" screen 1080i set and am more then ready to upgrade. I have debated getting a new LCD for a long time, and was waiting for the new 3D tech to come out, but now that I am seeing the new 3D stuff, and it blows ass, I am ready to get myself a new set.

However!!! Most companies are only making a maximum of 55" LCDs (a few are doing 60", but nothing bigger unless I plan on paying stupid amounts of money.) There is no way I am downgrading the size of my set for better quality picture. It would always look small to me.

I already have the set-up for a ceiling mounted projector - and it looks like it will cost me about $4000 to get a good quality projector and a screen for the room. This will allow me to have a 92 - 120" display!!!! The projectors are 1080p, but there is ONE drawback - the max refresh rate of projectors is 60mhz, where as for standard LCDs you can get up to 240 mhz these days.

So what do you guys think? Should I just bite the bullet on a 240mhz LCD at 55", or spend the same amount of money and get a 120" 60 mhz?

blackcat0158
04-23-2010, 08:02 PM
Is this going to be used solely for gaming, or are you going to be using it like a right-proper television?

With the 60 mhz projector, you're going to have practically zero interpolation- things will look like you expect them to.

With the higher processing of the LCD tv, a lot of companies feel the need to insert frames to make movement look fluid with their motion blur technology. I think it winds up looking like you're watching a raw feed, or a soap opera and cannot stand it most of the time.

I would ask the dude at the store to see them in action and decide from that.

Jitterbug
04-24-2010, 09:42 AM
Is this going to be used solely for gaming, or are you going to be using it like a right-proper television?

With the 60 mhz projector, you're going to have practically zero interpolation- things will look like you expect them to.

With the higher processing of the LCD tv, a lot of companies feel the need to insert frames to make movement look fluid with their motion blur technology. I think it winds up looking like you're watching a raw feed, or a soap opera and cannot stand it most of the time.

I would ask the dude at the store to see them in action and decide from that.

I was checking out the units they had on display. I agree that the high processing speeds tend to make things look unrealistic. I was watching the new Transformers on a 240 Mhz set and it looked like absolute ass! You could see all of the glaring, unnatural edges on the computer animated stuff and I hated it.

djdsf
04-25-2010, 05:42 PM
Ok, before I say this, let me go on the record that even though it may not sound nice, I do not mean it in a mean way.

Now:

If you have the $ to pay for new TVs every once in a while, then ether go with the same size or be happy with what you have, there is no real need what so ever for you to be wanting a new tv if your current one still works, aside from that, if you for some odd reason MUST get a bigger size, go with a projector like I do, I use my white wall to get a huge display and a difference between 60 and 240 does not show to the eye, so unless you can slow down time enough to actually count the refresh rate, I do not see as to why it should matter to you seeing as how most of the stuff is blasted @ 30 FPS and on many cases it will not go higher than 60 FPS so there is no need what so ever for a 240.

Now ether go with the proyector but keep in mind that unless you want to go with a new house in a couple of years so that you have a bigger space to project onto, there is no way you can go any higher.

Also, there are poor people out there who are happy with 21 inch TVs man, why can't you go down in size?

Jitterbug
04-25-2010, 07:23 PM
Also, there are poor people out there who are happy with 21 inch TVs man, why can't you go down in size?

Maybe there are some poor people that are happy eating turkey shit sausages too, but it doesn't mean I need to chow down with that. I like having a movie room in the house, and having a 90"+ screen sounds freaking awesome. Saying that I should be happy with a 21" screen is like saying I should get a smaller house because people out there live in shacks.

djdsf
04-25-2010, 08:25 PM
Maybe there are some poor people that are happy eating turkey shit sausages too, but it doesn't mean I need to chow down with that. I like having a movie room in the house, and having a 90"+ screen sounds freaking awesome. Saying that I should be happy with a 21" screen is like saying I should get a smaller house because people out there live in shacks.

Tell that to the ODDS and haity and sally strudders

Jitterbug
04-26-2010, 09:38 PM
Here's the one I'm thinking of getting
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?oid=63085423&BV_UseBVCookie=yes

Choopy
04-26-2010, 11:17 PM
NO NO NO
Don't do a projector. You will regret it if you buy a $1500 projector.
Get a Mitsubishi rear projection. You can get a 65" for <$2000. They go up to 85". The LCD screens do not look that good beyond 55". And plasma just isn't a good idea for gaming.

They are not as big as RP's used to be and yours is now.
Then take your money and invest in a good surround system. Receiver (Denon at the minimum, Sunfire if you want to do it right), speakers (NO Bose! Here is what I use (http://www.bostonacoustics.com/VR975-P318.aspx).), media server, and a remote.

I can't stress enough the remote. If you want flashy, get a Pronto (http://www.pronto.philips.com/). If you want super customization get a URC (what I have - MX850 (http://www.universalremote.com/product_detail.php?model=38)). If you want whole home automation get Control 4 (http://www.control4.com/) (very pricy, but bad asssss! They have an iPhone app to run your whole system)

To get the most from a projector, you need to spend big bucks. A decent screen alone will set you back $1000 for the minimum I would use. Also, there are lots of factors that can affect performance. Screen material, color, gain, viewing angle, ambient light, etc. A $1500 projector is for business presentations, not hardcore gaming and theater presentations. Yea, you can watch it on a white wall or that reflective paint crap, but to get proper colors, black levels and true HD resolution, you NEED a good screen.
If you go this route, I would highly suggest you get a professional to match a good product to your man cave.

Jitterbug
04-26-2010, 11:24 PM
NO NO NO
Don't do a projector. You will regret it if you buy a $1500 projector.
Get a Mitsubishi rear projection. You can get a 65" for <$2000. They go up to 85". The LCD screens do not look that good beyond 55". And plasma just isn't a good idea for gaming.

They are not as big as RP's used to be and yours is now.
Then take your money and invest in a good surround system. Receiver (Denon at the minimum, Sunfire if you want to do it right), speakers (NO Bose!), media server, and a remote.

I can't stress enough the remote. If you want flashy, get a Pronto (http://www.pronto.philips.com/). If you want super customization get a URC (what I have - MX850 (http://www.universalremote.com/product_detail.php?model=38)). If you want whole home automation get Control 4 (http://www.control4.com/) (very pricy, but bas asssss! They have an iPhone app to run your whole system)

To get the most from a projector, you need to spend big bucks. A decent screen alone will set you back $1000 for the minimum I would use. Also, there are lots of factors that can affect performance. Screen material, color, gain, viewing angle, ambient light, etc. A $1500 projector is for business presentations, not hardcore gaming and theater presentations. Yea, you can watch it on a white wall or that reflective paint crap, but to get proper colors, black levels and true HD resolution, you NEED a good screen.
If you go this route, I would highly suggest you get a professional to match a good product to your man cave.

We plan on getting a screen, and not a shitty one. This room is built for a projector, and I have made the move to black out the windows. I already have a decent receiver (Onkyo) and all Klipsch 7.1 surround. I've been researching the projectors a lot these past few days and nearly every expert opinion I have read has said that the only thing wrong with front projectors are the necessity for a black out environment - which we now have. With the space I have, I can get a 92" screen, which is not an option with rear projectors at a price under $3K. I can get this projector and a great screen for that price. If you can find any sites expressing a different view point, please link them, as all the ones I have looked at that aren't attached to a company are saying that front projectors are the way to go for a movie room.

Choopy
04-26-2010, 11:34 PM
I still suggest you get a consultant to make sure your projector and screen match the dynamics of the room. If you can control the ambient light, the projector is the way to go. (All the more reason to integrate the remote with your lighting)
Did you have the Klipsch speakers when I was there? I thought you said you were considering Bose.
Onkyo is as good as Denon. Good job there (I think you had that when I was there). I'd still get the remote and media server first. Especially with your collection of movies.

Jitterbug
04-26-2010, 11:53 PM
I still suggest you get a consultant to make sure your projector and screen match the dynamics of the room. If you can control the ambient light, the projector is the way to go. (All the more reason to integrate the remote with your lighting)
Did you have the Klipsch speakers when I was there? I thought you said you were considering Bose.
Onkyo is as good as Denon. Good job there (I think you had that when I was there). I'd still get the remote and media server first. Especially with your collection of movies.

Yeah, we had the Klipsch. I still have the two Cerwin Vegas as the two mains - but those do fine for me until I can convince my wife that I need to spend $2k on two speakers. I like Bose, but they are overpriced (although I do love my Bose head phones.) I just ordered a 30' HDMI to use for the set-up, but it probably won't be for a couple months before I actually purchase the screen and projector. I will probably sit in my basement, watching blurays for days after I get it set up.

Choopy
04-27-2010, 12:03 AM
OK. The stats on this projector at this price are awesome. 1800 lumens, 36k:1 contrast and 3 chips for $1500? Makes me eat my words.

Jitterbug
04-27-2010, 12:08 AM
OK. The stats on this projector at this price are awesome. 1800 lumens, 36k:1 contrast and 3 chips for $1500? Makes me eat my words.

The only downside is the refresh rate is 60 Mhz, whereas the top of the line tvs have 240 now. However, I read several articles saying that one thing that experts installers are doing is configuring the tvs DOWN to 60 Mhz because the 120s and 240s are too high and create unnatural edges.

Choopy
04-27-2010, 12:20 AM
As dj said, >60 doesn't do much good in theory. In actuality, it seems to be worse. But i've not seen it myself.