PDA

View Full Version : Comic Suggestions for New Readers

MrSoft
04-22-2010, 12:43 AM
Does anyone have suggestions for good comics for new (like myself) or inexperienced comic readers?

I know I'd certainly be very interested in checking out some comics if I knew where to start in the myriad of titles out there.

Jitterbug
04-22-2010, 07:38 AM
Does anyone have suggestions for good comics for new (like myself) or inexperienced comic readers?

I know I'd certainly be very interested in checking out some comics if I knew where to start in the myriad of titles out there.

The Ultimate titles from Marvel are recommended a lot. I'm reading Ultimate X (which is only a few episodes in.)

Fisherman
04-22-2010, 08:21 AM
Runaways is a very accessible comic, as is Y, The Last Man. Outside of that if you read comics in your younger days try going back to the refreshed versions of those comics (Spider-Man, X-Men) before moving on to brand new series.

daCooksta
04-27-2010, 09:30 AM
If you're looking for specific titles to start following, look for comics that either have the name of a series (like, "Sins Past: part 1 of 3") or are issue 1 and go from there. I also suggest you pick up the past event's Graphic novel and then start on the current event.

For example: I recently (a few months ago) started reading Marvel comics in addition to DC Comics. To catch up, I bought the Secret Invasion graphic novel and then the Dark Avengers graphic novel. That caught me up to where I needed to be to know what was going on in the Marvel universe and read from there. I eventually spread to reading other series, because I could relate the events of, say, Thor, to what was going on in Dark Avengers and Thunderbolts.

If that's not making any sense at all, which I'm afraid it isn't, just go to your local shop and ask the dude(tte) there to get you started.

Good comics right now are Thor, Thunderbolts, Green Lantern, Flash, and Green Arrow.

Flash just had a reboot, so get started on that if you can.

Quinstar
04-28-2010, 01:51 PM
What I found best for me was the start with the ones that I had prior knowledge of. I read some X-men and Batman as a kid, so I picked up those. The characters were familiar and I didn't feel like I was overwhelmed by new information. Though, all the crossovers and multiple universes can get really confusing.

MrSoft
04-28-2010, 04:06 PM
What I found best for me was the start with the ones that I had prior knowledge of. I read some X-men and Batman as a kid, so I picked up those. The characters were familiar and I didn't feel like I was overwhelmed by new information. Though, all the crossovers and multiple universes can get really confusing.

Yeah, I gotta say the Marvel Universe does seem like a bit of a Clusterfuck at times.

I'm gonna go comic shopping when I get back to university (hopefully next week), I'll bare in mind everyone's advice and let you know how it goes. :D

shawvyshawv
04-28-2010, 08:15 PM
Check out some of the $1 re-issues that are on sale now. Fables is fantastic and so is 100 Bullets. Losers may be worth picking up now that it's a movie. Give a few a test drive, for a dollar it can't be beat.

MrSoft
06-07-2010, 10:22 AM
After finally executing my long delayed comic shopping trip I finally have the 1st issues of Marvel Zombies, Runaways and Y: The Last Man. Now I just have to finish Kick-Ass which I got about a week ago and I'll be laughing. :D

Quinstar
06-07-2010, 11:49 AM
After finally executing my long delayed comic shopping trip I finally have the 1st issues of Marvel Zombies, Runaways and Y: The Last Man. Now I just have to finish Kick-Ass which I got about a week ago and I'll be laughing. :D

And.... what do you think?