PDA

View Full Version : Favorite XBLA game

Fisherman
04-18-2010, 11:32 AM
Simply put, what is your favorite XBLA game? What is the game you go back to when you're waiting for friends to pop online, or what is the game that had the best narrative arc that you bought from Xbox Live?

Also do you think downloadable games have reached a level where they can be considered for game of the year status? If not, do you think they ever will?

Grantly
04-18-2010, 01:58 PM
For me it's a tie between Braid and Castle Crashers. I don't want to beat a dead horse, but Braid was amazing. It totally blew me away, and I could go back and play it a hundred times, and it would never get old.

Castle Crashers is just crazy fun, especially when you're playing with your friends. If you haven't played these games yet, you owe it to yourself to give them a shot.

Kariz
04-18-2010, 02:01 PM
Definitely Castle Crashers. Another awesome one is I MAED A GAME W1TH ZOMB1EZ IN 1T!!! (Don't remember the exact spelling) which is easily the best 99 cents I've ever spent.

Farva
04-18-2010, 07:06 PM
I know this puts me in a sad state, but I didn't like Braid. Don't know why, I just didn't. I'd have to say the game I've killed the most time on is the TMNT Arcade game. I played it a ton when I first bought it. It just brought back a flood of memories of all the quarters I'd lost to those damn arcade slots during my childhood.

RobT
04-19-2010, 08:17 AM
Trials HD! fuck... i'm starting a thread!

Fisherman
04-19-2010, 09:42 AM
Good picks guys!

Yeah, I loved Braid. The sense of accomplishment in getting all the way through that was the best thing about it, as you basically had to 100% (except for the stars) to even get to the end of the game. Its nice to see a developer take a risk like that, as it has the chance to alienate the audience. For Braid, it worked.

Castle Crashers was a blast, and I would love to pick it up and play it with some of you guys - maybe in an upcoming TS Gamernight. I never got all the way through it as it was mostly my girlfriend and I playing local co-op, and those of you who game with girlfriends know how quickly some games fizzle out in that sense.

One that I haven't seen mentioned here yet is Shadow Complex. I know Orson Scott Card has a bit of a reputation, but he came through with a hell of a game, made specifically for those of us that remember and enjoy old-school side-scrolling shooters. It plays like a hybrid of Metroid, Mega Man, and Pitfall. If you've waited this long for it, I'd suggest waiting for it to (inevitably) go on sale for a half-price weekend or something, but definitely give it a look.

Farva, I own both of the TMNT games that were released on Live and I have to say I enjoyed Turtles in Time Re-Shelled more than the original TMNT. I'm sure I dumped just as many, if not more quarters into the original arcade game but as an exact recreation of the arcade cabinet game, it becomes pretty apparent how far video games have come in terms of design since that one came out. Of course, that's not to say I wouldn't buy the X-Men arcade game if it got released on XBLA. That shit would get snapped up in an instant.

Finally, I'd like to recommend Chime to anyone who likes puzzle games and is looking for the "next" Tetris. Obviously not in terms of influence, because no puzzle game can touch Tetris in that sense, but in terms of a new puzzle system that is simple to learn but difficult to master. If you've ever played Lumines for the PSP it's basically the same system here, except with better music and graphics. Also, I believe a portion of the devloper's revenue goes to charity, so you can feel good about your purchase, or maybe write it off on next year's taxes.

Farva
04-19-2010, 12:21 PM
Good picks guys!

Finally, I'd like to recommend Chime to anyone who likes puzzle games and is looking for the "next" Tetris. Obviously not in terms of influence, because no puzzle game can touch Tetris in that sense, but in terms of a new puzzle system that is simple to learn but difficult to master. If you've ever played Lumines for the PSP it's basically the same system here, except with better music and graphics. Also, I believe a portion of the devloper's revenue goes to charity, so you can feel good about your purchase, or maybe write it off on next year's taxes.

Sounds like an interesting game. I'll check it out.

DavGxyz
04-20-2010, 01:24 PM
I would say PuzzleQuest is the game I've spent most time on. It simply eats up the hours. :) Also really enjoyed Feeding Frenzy 2. :o

SaucedDave
04-21-2010, 02:20 AM
Mine as of late would have to be Toy Soldiers, its easy to kill a little or a lot of time on. Fantastic Tower Defense game where you can also go in to first person mode and control the towers, as well as a number of vehicles. Well worth checking out!

djdsf
04-21-2010, 08:00 AM
Marble Blast Ultra, that is the most epic game on XBLA

daCooksta
04-21-2010, 08:34 AM
I like MvC2, Soul Calibur, I Maed a game with zombies in it, and Castle crashers.

Grantly
04-21-2010, 04:00 PM
I do love me some MvC2, I just suck terribly at it.

I've been meaning to get I Maed a Game With Zombies in It and Shadow Complex for a while.

DavGxyz
04-21-2010, 10:25 PM
Marble Blast Ultra, that is the most epic game on XBLA

MMM. Forgot about that one. Its a brilliantly simple game which I've spent lots of time on aswell. :wub: Harder to choose a favourite than I'd thought. :confused:

Venom0666
04-22-2010, 02:39 AM
castle crashers and shadow complex had a blast playing those two games

Shaha44
04-27-2010, 01:41 PM
I really dig 'Splosion Man. I picked it up when it was on sale for 400 space bucks and it was well worth it. It gets pretty challenging and seems to have a good chunk of gameplay length with it.

Lokela
04-27-2010, 05:12 PM
I'm down with the trials HD....that and Battlefield 1943.

Nipples
04-28-2010, 12:34 AM
...I've been meaning to get I Maed a Game With Zombies in It....

This has to be one of my favorite games I have ever downloaded on the box to date. Shit, I would buy the damn soundtrack just to have it.

GunnderDaWunder
04-29-2010, 05:22 PM
Braid and Battlefield 1942 were both great!

NuclearNinja
04-29-2010, 05:30 PM
Trials HD all the way

Shaha44
05-05-2010, 01:16 PM
Now that I have spent some time with Trials HD, I am changing my response from 'Splosion Man to Trials HD. It is soooooooo damn good!