PDA

View Full Version : How To Install a USB Flash Drive Into Your Xbox 360

Jitterbug
04-15-2010, 03:13 PM
Today I purchased an 8 GB USB Flash Drive to install on my Xbox 360 to increase the Harddrive space (My Mass Effect download ate up all but the last bit of space on my original 20GB harddrive.) I know that there are some hacky ways of getting around this and just using a large external Hard Drive, but I'm a puss about doing hack mods on my consoles. So I went the route of the sucker and bought a Flash Drive. I got the Geek Squad one from Best Buy for $27.99 (I chose the 8GB instead of the 16GB because I am hoping to be able to convince my wife to let me get an Elite soon and just transfer this over to the bedroom soon, but that's another story.)

I plugged the stick into the back of my Xbox in the port that was designed for the Wireless router that plugs into the back of the system, but since I run my online goodies through a direct connection, it allowed me to use this slot instead of plugging the Flash Drive into one of the two ports on the front of the system.

Next, I hit the center button on my controller to access the old style blade menu and scrolled to the right to get to the System Settings. There I selected Memory, and then chose the USB Storage Device option that appeared under the Hard Drive (with a measely 298 MB free left on it!!!) This brought up a Configure Now option along with a Customize option. I chose Configure Now, which will erase any previous data on the device (so make sure you don't have anything important on there!)

The process to configure the device took only a few seconds, but oddly, after finishing I was left with only 7GB of space on the device. Apparently the act of formatting the USB Device took up a GB of space. I call Bullshit on that. But, even still, using this option was a hell of a lot cheaper then buying a new Harddrive from Microsoft, and a MUCH better deal then being suckered into purchasing the Microsoft specific USB Flash Drive that is going to cost a stupid amount of money.

Fisherman
04-15-2010, 03:25 PM
Have you had any luck putting 360 content on it? The 360 has always been able to recognize USB flash drives, but I think the new feature is that you can put your games, game saves, and profile on the flash drive.

djdsf
04-15-2010, 03:44 PM
Your Flash will now act as a small HDD and the 1GB of space taken away was explained when they released the news, if you notice, on any new HDD you will see thart there is always space being taken away for internal use. On the matter of the USB, it is to protect people from sticking arcade games or full games on the USB, transferring it over to the PC and hacking at the code easier, is a simple form of DRM.

I would recommend using the front ports though, the back of the 360 tends to get hot at times and then cool off periodically, which I believe is not too good for USBs

Farva
04-15-2010, 05:31 PM
Can you use multiple external devices. My Rock Band Library is taking up a huge amount of space and I'd love to externalize that data. Is it possible to use multiple drives (one for Music Games, one for Driving Games, One for Shooters, etc...)?

Nipples
04-15-2010, 09:13 PM
Can you use multiple external devices. My Rock Band Library is taking up a huge amount of space and I'd love to externalize that data. Is it possible to use multiple drives (one for Music Games, one for Driving Games, One for Shooters, etc...)?

Yes you can use multiple drives on your system. On that note, I was also thinking about popping a hub on there to see if I could max out USB drives and see how many I can throw on there.

Nipples
04-15-2010, 09:16 PM
Oh, and Jitterbug, just do the HD hack.

Seriously, the only warranty that you will void is the sticker on your 20g HD enclosure. I think that even if you spend the cash ($45) to get a 250g HD and somehow it fails then all you are short on is a HD (of which you pop your original one back into the enclosure).

Even if you change your mind in the future to change it back then you can just reformat the sucker and have a 250g you can throw into an external enclosure or your PC.

Shit... send me your HD from you xbox and $50 bucks and I'll even do the damn hack for you!!!

djdsf
04-16-2010, 07:19 AM
Oh, and Jitterbug, just do the HD hack.

Seriously, the only warranty that you will void is the sticker on your 20g HD enclosure. I think that even if you spend the cash ($45) to get a 250g HD and somehow it fails then all you are short on is a HD (of which you pop your original one back into the enclosure).

Even if you change your mind in the future to change it back then you can just reformat the sucker and have a 250g you can throw into an external enclosure or your PC.

Shit... send me your HD from you xbox and $50 bucks and I'll even do the damn hack for you!!!

Only a max of 2 USB drives are allowed each with a max size of 16gbs.

RobT
04-19-2010, 08:27 AM
So does your profile sit on the stick? or is it simply just another space to dump some saves?

Jitterbug
04-19-2010, 09:39 AM
Place to dump saves. It's not perfect, as it requires you to remember which device you've saved stuff on, but it works all right.

Nipples
04-20-2010, 11:26 PM
Only a max of 2 USB drives are allowed each with a max size of 16gbs.

I think you misquoted the wrong post of mine buddy... the one you quoted was me talking about the 250G HD hack not the one about the HUB and whatnot.