PDA

View Full Version : Splinter Cell Conviction - ONLY 5 HOURS?!

Jitterbug
04-15-2010, 09:04 AM
The word is out on the new Splinter Cell game. People seem to really like the game and say that it is one of the best Splinter Cells to date - but there is one MAJOR problem with it. From what I am hearing, this game is only going to take you 5 - 6 hours to complete. WTF?!

There is no way I'm paying $60 for 5 hours worth of gameplay. I don't know if this is a trend in videogames or not (GoW 3, I'm looking at you) but trading gameplay time for a more polished end result is a losing battle in my opinion. I want to play a compelling story as much as the next guy, but to only get 5 or 6 hours out of a $60 purchase really seems lame.

From what I understand, the new Splinter Cell has an online multiplayer component - but is it enough to warrant a purchase? What are your thoughts?

Fisherman
04-15-2010, 10:44 AM
The word is out on the new Splinter Cell game. People seem to really like the game and say that it is one of the best Splinter Cells to date - but there is one MAJOR problem with it. From what I am hearing, this game is only going to take you 5 - 6 hours to complete. WTF?!

There is no way I'm paying $60 for 5 hours worth of gameplay. I don't know if this is a trend in videogames or not (GoW 3, I'm looking at you) but trading gameplay time for a more polished end result is a losing battle in my opinion. I want to play a compelling story as much as the next guy, but to only get 5 or 6 hours out of a $60 purchase really seems lame.

From what I understand, the new Splinter Cell has an online multiplayer component - but is it enough to warrant a purchase? What are your thoughts?

This news absolutely killed my purchase buzz. I had the game pre-ordered and cancelled it when I found out about this. Yeah, I'll be renting SC:C or maybe if I don't get around to it for a long while, buying it used.

I was really looking forward to it since I saw it at PAX, but 5-6 hours of gameplay is not even close to enough, especially for a game that I don't really have much interest in playing multiplayer.

Some people will say that this is the type of game that can be gone through and played again and again, but I felt the same way about Halo: ODST, and never, ever went back to it after running through it once. Luckily I got that thing for $40 and flipped it back to gamestop for $20, so my losses were minimized. I don't want to roll the dice like that with Splinter Cell, though.

Farva
04-15-2010, 05:58 PM
I knew it'd be a rental from day one. Most games that have a linear story are for me. If the multiplayer turns out to be something amazing, then I'll pick it up. I was going to make Red Dead Revolver a rental, until I saw the amazing concept for the multiplayer. I'm hoping for a similar surprise in SC:Conviction.

Cam-Dog
04-15-2010, 06:09 PM
Old topic but JB GoW3 took me 9 hours to beat (I found all the collectibles). Whats up with that?

Also don't spend 60 bucks rent that mofo!

Jitterbug
04-15-2010, 06:22 PM
Old topic but JB GoW3 took me 9 hours to beat (I found all the collectibles). Whats up with that?

Also don't spend 60 bucks rent that mofo!

And there's no Multiplayer component to GoW3. But be careful, I got flamed pretty hardcore for daring to recommend that people rent that game instead of buying it, because renting it would mean that I wasn't supporting Sony. No shit. I can't make that stuff up.

djdsf
04-15-2010, 07:22 PM
Is so not 5 hours, is more like 17 or 18 w/o counting the co-op story mode. It might be 5 hours on super easy mode while running around on with a machine gun on full blast w/o using stealth like the game was meant to be played.

PS: Halo 3 was 8 hours and look how many people bought that and all the DLC that came with it, including ODST, Convic is giving out free DLC every Thrusday.

RobT
04-16-2010, 03:46 AM
They're also saying you can play it through action stylee, and then play it through using stealth kills and it'll be a totally different experience.

I generally don't like game reviews but this site is probably the only one I trust... have a read if you're interested, they avoid spoilers.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/splinter-cell-conviction-360-review?page=1

PaganNinja
04-19-2010, 02:27 PM
the single player is 5 hours. the co op campaign is about 4 hours. then there are all the challenges. plus to complete all of the deniable ops missions thats about 14 hours. so really if you actually play the whole game it is alot longer than 5 hours.

Fisherman
05-03-2010, 12:22 AM
I just finished it, after having rented it yesterday. Yeah, the campaign was short. Real short. That's all I was really interested in anyway, so I'm glad I rented it.

I will say the campaign was very enjoyable, though. I'm not usually into stealth games but this game had a lot of the Batman: Arkham Asylum thing mixed in where you felt more comfortable in the darkness and angled your way into it as often as possible. When they say the game makes you feel like a predator, its absolutely true.

Also, it has the longest God damned credits I've ever seen. Here's the cliffs notes: Lots of French people worked on this game.