PDA

View Full Version : OnLive

Fisherman
04-13-2010, 10:56 AM
If you're not aware of what OnLive is, it was debuted last year around this time (maybe at E3?) and essentially uses cloud computing for the heavy lifting of graphically intensive games, and beams you back a compressed video, which is uncompressed in real-time and displayed on your monitor. Your inputs are beamed to the server, and the game is played at a server farm somewhere, while your po-dunk machine displays super-high res graphics without having to have any of the hardware normally required for such an operation (outside of a quick internet connection).

At least, that's how it's supposed to work. The service launches June 17, and has been in beta for a while now. The beta is supposedly going well, but who knows how it's going to handle an actual production load when real consumers start paying real dollars to access their server. Therein lies another issue with the service: pricing. The subscription service will cost $15 a month. It has many features that Xbox Live does, and a few that it doesn't, including live look-ins at your friends' games and "greatest hit" style replays. The fee won't cover game purchases or rentals.

Assuming the service works the way it's intended, what's your take on OnLive? Are you going to give it a shot?

egg651
04-13-2010, 03:05 PM
$15 a month? What it seems like is that I would be paying someone to sell me something else.

What would be interesting is if one of these services (OTOY, Gaikai, OnLive) simply charged me to play games I already own through steam or simply games I have the disk of on their service, similar to the way the pricing for xbox live works.

Put simply, the idea of not having to have a beast of a PC to play a game interests me, but I don't want to have to buy my games again, or be locked in to only being able to buy them from one place.

Fisherman
04-20-2010, 01:50 PM
For anyone who's interested, stay tuned. We may be getting some exclusive TalkingShip OnLive Hands-On Coverage in the next couple weeks.

Kariz
04-20-2010, 04:59 PM
Not a chance. I'm already paying 180 bucks a year for my Zune Pass, and another $15/month subscription would be impossible to keep up with. I could see myself using it for a $50 year subscription, but paying the price of 3 full games every year to play games you've already payed for is rediculous.

Fisherman
05-29-2010, 05:05 PM
Here's a heads-up to expect some in-depth coverage of OnLive around launch. I was in the beta but am still under NDA regarding its details, but for participating in the demo I received 12 months of the service for free and a coupon code for a free game. Not a bad little thank-you, if you ask me. Anyway, I'll definitely have this service for at least a year and be able to let you guys know if its worth its salt. Look for it on the redesigned games page on or around June 18-20 (official launch is June 17).