PDA

View Full Version : Runaways

Fisherman
04-12-2010, 10:26 AM
I mentioned this in a previous thread, but Runaways has taken me totally off-guard and has become the second-most engaging comic series in recent memory for me (the first being Y the Last Man).

This one debuted in 2003, but as it happens, I'm just getting into it now. I like to let a comic run to its entirety before getting into them. I don't so much read comics as I consume them.

I'm partway through the second series of these comics (was happily surprised a few days ago to find out that there was a second series!) and I'm loving it. If you have someone in your life that you want to get into comics, this is the series to give them. Definitely fan service for Marvel fans, but it is the most accessible comic I've ever read. Give it a shot.

daCooksta
04-13-2010, 08:52 AM
What's it about?

And I read Y:TLM after someone here suggested it. Very, very awesome.

Fisherman
04-13-2010, 09:49 AM
What's it about?

And I read Y:TLM after someone here suggested it. Very, very awesome.

The main characters in Runaways are teens between 16 and 18 that bear witness to their parents carrying out a sacrifice, and come to realize that they are a secret organization of super-villains. They run away from home and try to figure out what's going on with their parents in the first series. Can't say much more without spoiling it.

The second series expands their role in the Marvel universe more and has cameo appearances from multiple Marvel characters.

daCooksta
04-13-2010, 03:42 PM
The main characters in Runaways are teens between 16 and 18 that bear witness to their parents carrying out a sacrifice, and come to realize that they are a secret organization of super-villains. They run away from home and try to figure out what's going on with their parents in the first series. Can't say much more without spoiling it.

The second series expands their role in the Marvel universe more and has cameo appearances from multiple Marvel characters.

It sounds really cool. How many issues have been written so far? I may start reading.

Fisherman
04-13-2010, 05:41 PM
It sounds really cool. How many issues have been written so far? I may start reading.

Quite a few issues have been published. There were 18 in series 1, I believe 24 in series 2, and they have 4 issues in the Civil War storyline that aren't part of either series.

Jitterbug
04-17-2010, 07:05 AM
It should be noted that Brian K Vaughn is the creator of this series - he's the same guy that made Y The Last Man and Ex Machina (another great book.)

Fisherman
04-17-2010, 12:35 PM
It should be noted that Brian K Vaughn is the creator of this series - he's the same guy that made Y The Last Man and Ex Machina (another great book.)

Yes! His influence is easy to see in the writing here. Both Y and Runaways are equal parts funny, melancholy, and character-driven. I'll have to check out Ex Machina.

Jitterbug
04-17-2010, 01:49 PM
Yes! His influence is easy to see in the writing here. Both Y and Runaways are equal parts funny, melancholy, and character-driven. I'll have to check out Ex Machina.

Ex Machina is bad ass. It's about a super hero that prevents one of the planes from crashing into the towers on 9-11. This then leads to the Superhero revealing his identity and being elected mayor of New York. I'm not spoiling any plot here as all of this happens before the first comic even starts. It is tremendous.

Fisherman
05-03-2010, 11:25 AM
I'm really enjoying Ex Machina, Jitterbug. It's not often that a superhero story goes full-on public in the fiction. It's also got a very smart story, you don't see this much political infusion in most comics. Vaughn's writing always takes a few episodes to get you hooked, but once you're in, there's no getting out.

Jitterbug
05-11-2010, 10:32 AM
I'm really enjoying Ex Machina, Jitterbug. It's not often that a superhero story goes full-on public in the fiction. It's also got a very smart story, you don't see this much political infusion in most comics. Vaughn's writing always takes a few episodes to get you hooked, but once you're in, there's no getting out.

Glad you're digging it. To my knowledge it is the only comic to ever successfully pull off political intrigue!

Grantly
05-23-2010, 09:47 AM
Does anyone else think that about the time Vaughan left, things seriously went downhill? I love Joss Whedon, but that whole going into the past thing was just dumb. Through most of the series, I couldn't stop reading, but about the time they went to 1907, I couldn't wait for it to be over. In the earlier issues, it always felt like they were doing something, and there was a reason for everything, but where I am, I feel like things are just happening to happen, and I couldn't care less.