PDA

View Full Version : The X-Men Universe is Trashed?!

Jitterbug
04-11-2010, 10:24 AM
I'm just now getting back into comics, and I am LOST! I picked up some of the new X-Men titles from the SECOND COMING series and I am confused. The comics are good, but what the hell happened in the universe? Here's what I understand:

Mutants stopped being born.
The Mutants have been warring and are dying off.
Magneto had something to do with the war.

Can someone catch me up to speed here? Just give me an idea of what happened so I don't feel utterly confused about all of this.

Quinstar
04-12-2010, 12:04 PM
Ha ha ha! I'm only laughing because I completely understand. I did the same thing, so I went all the way back to the 90's to get caught up, which makes me no help whatsoever. Though, I don't feel so completely stupid for having no idea what was going on.

From what I read some chica used her mutants abilities to destroy the X-gene. So, most of the mutants lost their powers and no new one's were born. Then, in The Messiah Complex the first new mutant was born, there was a huge fight over here and they (Prof. X) decided the safest place for her was in the future, so that's where she went....I stopped reading after that and went back to fill in all the questions I had. Good luck though...

daCooksta
04-13-2010, 08:54 AM
Wikipedia is your friend. It always helps me when I don't know what's going on.

shawvyshawv
04-26-2010, 09:12 PM
1st. Scarlet Witch went ape shit and used her abilities nearly eliminate all mutants. Less than 200 mutants remained. (see House of M)

2nd. Civil War in the Marvel Universe

3rd. Messiah Complex where the first mutant was born in years. Bishop tries to kill the newborn mutant girl because he believes she brings armageddon to his time in the future. Bishop accidently kills Prof x with a bullet to the noggin aiming for the girl, Cyclops sends girl with Cable time jumping and Bishop follows.

4th. Messiah War is where Bishop enlists the help of Stryfe (Cable's evil twin) to kill the girl and Cable. Blah, blah, blah, Apocalypse helps X-force, Cable and Deadpool defeat Stryfe.

NOW...the girl, Hope, is brought back to the current time because Cyclops believes she will save all mutants but anti-mutant extremists have other plans.

That's it in a nutshell...

shawvyshawv
04-26-2010, 09:18 PM
Read Grant Morrison's run of X-Men if you get the chance. There's an omnibus or the story-arcs are all in tpb. His run, I believe, is one of the best in X-Men history.

Lokela
04-27-2010, 09:07 AM
Wow...I really don't fancy all this time jumping. It's kinda the reason why I lost interest, generally speaking, in the x-men. I still like some of the characters, so I'll just focus on their comics and pretend that they're not all linked.

daCooksta
04-27-2010, 09:16 AM
At what point in continuity was Utopia? That's the most recent XMen comic I've read.

shawvyshawv
04-27-2010, 04:17 PM
Utopia happened just after Secret Invasion. It's one of the first issues with Norman Osborn's Dark Avengers. Marc Silvestri did the art for Utopia, he's one of my favorite artists.

daCooksta
04-27-2010, 09:25 PM
Utopia happened just after Secret Invasion. It's one of the first issues with Norman Osborn's Dark Avengers. Marc Silvestri did the art for Utopia, he's one of my favorite artists.

Yeah.

It was part of a Dark Avengers collection my friend loaned me (a big bag of comic books, not a graphic novel or anything). I wasn't sure how long ago that was.

Fisherman
04-28-2010, 10:43 AM
Volume 3 of the Astonishing X-Men is a very well-written storyline, and has lots of the classic X-Men characters (Cyclops, Wolverine, Beast, Shadowcat, and another who's storyline is kind of a spoiler ..). Emma Frost and Lockheed are involved, too. Volume 3 is especially good because it was written by Joss Whedon.