PDA

View Full Version : Kick-Ass Comic - SPOILERS!

Jitterbug
04-10-2010, 05:44 PM
WARNING! This thread contains SPOILERS about the Comic Book and movie, KIck-Ass. DO NOT READ ANYTHING IN HERE if you do not want the plot spoiled!!

------

Okay, I just finished the Kick-Ass comic last night. Now I am 100% psyched for the movie. This damn book was fantastic. I liked all of the characters, and I think it is a perfect book to adapt into a movie.

One small, tiny complaint - I wish Red Mist and Kick-Ass would have spent some more time becoming friends. The scenes with them going around town, looking for trouble could have been fleshed out a few comics and I would have loved it. Instead, they are tossed right into that Fire and then immediately into the end-game.

Still, though - I must admit that the revelation about Red Mist's motives took me by surprise. I knew that he was the mobster's kid because of the comic book shop where they introduced him (it's not like a comic is going to introduce a character like that and then never bring him back.) But the fact that Red Mist was just trying to deceive and then capture the super heroes was a surprise.

Anyhow - LOVED this book and I can't wait for the movie - and then for the sequel to the comic!! It's going to be great.

Abrahamm Lincoln
04-11-2010, 11:18 AM
I agree completely near the end with Red Mist it felt really rushed with him learning about him then all of a sudden they're friends. Then right into the betrayal, i felt they really didn't put enough time into them as a team.

MosEisley
04-11-2010, 11:55 AM
I thought the book was awesome. The only weak issue I thought was the eighth one so I'm hoping the movies ending is a little tighter than that. I personally thought the Red Mist reveal was pretty obvious though I thought it was perfect... he was a little turd from the start haha.

I'm crazy excited for the movie, mostly because I can't wait to see what stays from the book and what changes. I really hope they keep the reveal and then murder of Big Daddy exactly how they had it in the book. I did NOT see that coming at all and it was freaking brutal.

Judging from all the trailers and clips I've seen so far it looks like they are staying pretty page for page with the book. Especially Hit Girl in the red band trailer. It's been a while since I've read it but the guy she decapitates was playing CoD4 in the trailer instead of Spyro which I thought was kind of cool.

The only person that it seems like they are changing from comic to movie is Dave himself. From the trailers he looks a little too nice and innocent. As apposed to how he is in the comic... a total douche. He knows he's a douche too. So I really hope that's just how the trailers are showing him and not how he is in the actual movie.

Last week I was Heroes season one, and now I'm fucking season 2.

Loved that line :Laugh:

Jitterbug
04-11-2010, 12:18 PM
You're right about Big Daddy... That scene was fucking BRUTAL! If they changed that in any way for the movie I will be ticked off. I think you're right though - it looks like a pretty simple panel-to-film transition, kind of like Sin City was. They are taking pains to keep the original material true to the movie.

I just hope they add in a good ten minutes of Kick-Ass and Red Mist cruising together and fighting petty criminals. That would be great.

MosEisley
04-11-2010, 03:36 PM
I just hope they add in a good ten minutes of Kick-Ass and Red Mist cruising together and fighting petty criminals. That would be great.

I agree with you that it would make for some cool scenes, as I think that they didn't use enough of Red Mist in the book. But, the thing about Red Mist is he's made to be a pussy. If you remember in the book he really never fought crime in any way shape or form. He was basically just some kid making poses in a cool super hero costume trying to get as much publicity as possible. If you remember when him and kick-ass ran in the burning building he did not want to go in at all. Even when they ran into the burning building he was trying to talk Dave out of it like crazy. The second they even got in the building he said to Dave "Okay now lets sneak out the back, the firemen will be here soon anyway." so I don't think Red Mist is that dude fighting petty criminals. He's more of the guy that's gonna smoke weed and try and get chicks because he has a badass mistmobile.

Jitterbug
04-11-2010, 04:46 PM
I agree with you that it would make for some cool scenes, as I think that they didn't use enough of Red Mist in the book. But, the thing about Red Mist is he's made to be a pussy. If you remember in the book he really never fought crime in any way shape or form. He was basically just some kid making poses in a cool super hero costume trying to get as much publicity as possible. If you remember when him and kick-ass ran in the burning building he did not want to go in at all. Even when they ran into the burning building he was trying to talk Dave out of it like crazy. The second they even got in the building he said to Dave "Okay now lets sneak out the back, the firemen will be here soon anyway." so I don't think Red Mist is that dude fighting petty criminals. He's more of the guy that's gonna smoke weed and try and get chicks because he has a badass mistmobile.

That's a great point. It would be nice if they fleshed that out a bit with a fight with some punks, where Dave is all gung-ho and Red Mist is scared at first and hangs back.

Fisherman
04-12-2010, 10:34 AM
The only person that it seems like they are changing from comic to movie is Dave himself. From the trailers he looks a little too nice and innocent. As apposed to how he is in the comic... a total douche. He knows he's a douche too. So I really hope that's just how the trailers are showing him and not how he is in the actual movie.

This is what I'm most worried about with the movie. It all looks a little too summer-pop to me, when the comics have been absolutely visceral. I guess it doesn't matter much to me what other people's pre-conceived notions are going into the movie, but if I were an outsider looking in, it would look like a pretty harmless summer action flick. If they stay true to the comics, I think some people will be very surprised by the content.

MosEisley
04-18-2010, 02:14 PM
Saw the movie the other night and loved it. However, they kind of changed quite a few major things from the book. I think most of which was for the best of the movie. But... 3 major changes just kind of bugged me.

Why does Dave end up with Katie? I absolutely hated that. It seemed so typical and obvious which is why I loved what happens in the book. You don't see it coming... I mean, I didn't expect her to send him a clip of her blowing some dude and for him to jerk off to it or anything but COME ON!

Another thing, I absolutely LOVED the torture scene. I thought the way they did that was incredibly well done. The music set such a dark tone and built it up a ton. The fact that they were live streaming the attempted execution was crazy. Then the first person Hit Girl rescue? OMFG that was such a brilliant directing. I would probably say from the start of the broadcast countdown to Big Daddy's death was one of the best scenes I've ever seen in a movie. Defiantly the best scene in the movie (for me anyway) it was just so jam packed with emotion from the performances down to the score. Way better than in the book.

Speaking of Big Daddy I HATED that they changed his story... I loved in the book that it turned out he was just some crazy comic book fan that wanted his daughter to have an exciting life.

I did think it was a little silly that Kick-Ass was beaten with brass knuckles, his own led pipes & a baseball bat and he's still conscious. Then Red Mist hit's him in the head with a kento stick and he's knocked out cold for a minute... LOL!

Dave was a little too nice and Red Mist was a little too sympathetic.

I swear when my hormones balances out shares in Kleenex are gonna take a dive. LOL best line in the movie.

I also liked when Red Mist was playing Mob Boss in his daddy's chair and then the phone starts ringing.

Don't get me wrong though I freaking LOVED the movie. It exceeded my expectations and I had really high expectations. Best movie I've seen in a long time. Day one DVD purchase for me.

Fisherman
04-19-2010, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the review MosEisley! And thanks for letting us know what changed from the comics to the movie, so I can set my expectations appropriately. I'll be seeing this one soon.

Grantly
04-19-2010, 02:38 PM
I ordered the comic off Amazon yesterday, so it should be here by Wednesday. I can't wait to read it!

Jitterbug
04-22-2010, 09:04 AM
We talked about our thoughts on the movie in Episode 84 of the show, but I figured I would pop in here and throw up a mini-review as well.

Let's start by talking about the casting. Aaron Johnson plays the main character, Dave Lizewski, also known as Kick-Ass, and does so very well. Purists may complain that his hair is black instead of blonde and that he is far too nice in the movie versus in the books, but these alterations didn't bother me much. I still prefer my dickish hero in the comics to the affable alter ego they created for the film, but this wasn't enough to make me dislike him. I will say this though, in the comics, Kick-Ass is my favorite character - but in the movie he is a distant second.

Then who IS my favorite character in the film? Easy - Hit Girl, as played by Chloe Moretz (you may know her as the little sister of the main character in 500 Days of Summer - another great movie and a great part for her as well, despite it being a small one.) The Mindy Macready character is the most controversial tyke to come out of either film or comics since Jodi Foster's prostitute in Taxi Driver. She is the lynchpin upon which this film rests. If you find yourself traveling the morale high ground in most of your life, then Hit Girl will be the reason you hate this film. If, on the other hand, you understand that this is a movie - hence make-believe - then you stand a shot of recognizing one of the most enigmatic performances ever captured. While I believe that Chloe is a pretty good actress, I am not trying to say that her performance in this film is what is laudable - rather that simply breathing real life into a comic character like Hit Girl creates something that we simply haven't had the privilege to ever see before, and when she is on the screen I could hardly breath. Every scene with Hit Girl is magnetic.

So what about the BIG QUESTION: Does Nick Cage ruin the movie? We all know about the CAGE EFFECT... where simply casting Cage in a movie sends it spiralling into lunacy. I am happy to say that this film does not suffer at all from his appearance. Hell, after seeing him as Big Daddy I am pretty close to saying that there is no one else I'd rather have play the character! He brings a cheesy, Adam West quality to his performance when his suit is on, and then gleefully abandons the bravado for a dorky dad schtick that makes him endearing. He makes this movie BETTER!

Then there was Red Mist. Oh, Red Mist. They cast Christopher Mintz-Plasse (better known as McLovin) in the role for reasons that I can not fathom. The only thing that makes any sense here is that the producers were trying to cash in on Mintz's Mclovin fame to draw in people, but it doesn't work for the character - AT ALL. His awkward movement and speech are built for comedy, and the role of Red Mist was never a comedic role. They throw in a few laughs with him jumping off a garbage can and hurting himself, and dancing in the car, but these were superfluous and did nothing for the character or the story. If you wanted more comedic relief in the film, you should have let Kick-Ass be the snarky character he was in the books - or have more scenes with his friends (which were all fantastic!) Red Mist's story line is a dark one, and to have McLovin in the role diminishes it considerably. My final gripe on the matter is the lisp. Anyone who has ever heard McLovin speak will always recognize the voice - the lisp is one of a kind. When he dons the Red Mist outfit and speaks, it is impossible to think that Kick-Ass (who goes to school with Red Mist) wouldn't recognize the voice. It really annoyed me.

Now that we're on the subject of things I didn't like about the movie, let's spend a second griping. They stole away a minor character from the comics that I loved - The Dad. In the film, Garrett M. Brown was cast to play Mr. Lizewski (Kick-Ass' Dad) and is given NOTHING to do. In the comics he is a fantastic character that has some of the funniest scenes in the story, but in the film he is relegated to a parental card board cut out. Kick-Ass' love story also plays out in typical Hollywood fashion, which is a shame since one of the greatest moments in the comics is when the girl sends Dave a picture of herself blowing another dude. I know that conventional tastes would not take well to that plot twist, but fuck it - this is supposed to be Kick-Ass! And finally, the jetpack was a tad bit goofy and unnecessary.

In all, I really liked this film. It was a great ride, and I plan on taking it again when it comes out on BluRay. I highly recommend it to all comic fans, but anyone outside of the demographic (14 - 40 year old boys and any awesome lady that loves geeks) should think twice about going to the theater.

Grantly
04-22-2010, 09:22 AM
I didn't mind Dave ending up with Katie at all. Now, I may change my mind after I read the comic (which still hasn't got here. Fuck you Amazon.) but it made the scene with Kick-Ass getting tortured even better, and after that it just felt right for him to get the girl.

I also didn't mind Christopher Mintz-Plasse. Once again, I haven't read the comic (fuck you, Amazon) but I thought he did a good job. I do agree about the lisp though. How it wasn't obvious for Kick-Ass I'll never know.

RobT
04-22-2010, 09:24 AM
Great review JB, hard to argue with any of that, thought the same about the jetpack... it didn't quite fit for me, but I still enjoyed the reveal none the less, I suspected something after they said it didn't come with the miniguns attached...

The Microwave moment was a hoot, I guess it was to demonstrate their total lack of compassion for their subjects... I think there was a similar moment in a Bond movie using a pressure tank.

Looks like a sequel is nailed on, lets hope the studio doesn't interfere too much, I think you can really see from this film how it benefited from being self-funded. I heard an interview the other day with the writer of the comic, and he said the studios wanted to remove:

Hitgirl
the OTT gore
the swearing
the wanking

basically all the things that either raised an eyebrow or a smile.

Jitterbug
04-22-2010, 09:25 AM
I didn't mind Dave ending up with Katie at all. Now, I may change my mind after I read the comic (which still hasn't got here. Fuck you Amazon.) but it made the scene with Kick-Ass getting tortured even better, and after that it just felt right for him to get the girl.

I also didn't mind Christopher Mintz-Plasse. Once again, I haven't read the comic (fuck you, Amazon) but I thought he did a good job. I do agree about the lisp though. How it wasn't obvious for Kick-Ass I'll never know.

I agree that it made the torture scene better - but if you had placed in any character that knew that Dave was Kick-Ass (maybe even create a sub plot where the Dad starts to suspect that Dave might be Kick-Ass and then have HIM see that footage! ooo chilling) it would have been just as effective. And to miss out of the texted BJ is just a shame - that part was comic gold.

MosEisley
04-22-2010, 09:36 AM
Yeah, his dad is a great role but I think if they would have added more to him it would have taken the Spiderman 3 effect. Just to many characters. Although they should have gave him a little more.

I didn't really take Red Mist dancing in the car as him trying to be goofy. The way I took it was he was watching Kick-Ass do it for a bit and just started going along with it. It seemed like he was really starting to like Dave. Although I do agree with you that Chris has an easily recognizable voice. If you remember though, Dave never actually heard him talk in the movie as Chris D'Amico. When he approached him in the comic shop he just smiled and then his body guard told him to go away. That was the first time Dave had ever seen Chris in the comic shop.

The jet pack was fucking retarded. I thought it was just going to be a Gatling Gun which would have been wicked... but they just had to have it attached to a jet pack. That almost just took me out of the movie. Meh, but what are you going to do.

I have no problem with Nick Cage as I like some of his movies. I.E. Con Air, Face-Off and The Rock. I thought he did a great job. The first time I heard him talk as Big Daddy it threw me off for a minute but then I just laughed. They completely screwed up with Katie. Dave ending up with her was so typical and stupid. They should have stuck with the book ending.

I didn't mind Dave being nice even though I would have liked him to be a little more unlikable as weird as that is to say about a main character. The way I kind of look at it is this is Kick Ass's world two or ultimate. Two completely different timelines.

MosEisley
04-22-2010, 09:39 AM

Meh, it made leading up to the scene better, but I think having him not end up with Katie would have made the entire movie better.

Jitterbug
04-22-2010, 09:47 AM
Looks like a sequel is nailed on, lets hope the studio doesn't interfere too much, I think you can really see from this film how it benefited from being self-funded.

I wouldn't be so quick to assume there is going to be a sequel. This movie has drawn a LOT of fire from some very important people in the movie industry. But, as we all know, it depends on the money. If Kick-Ass does well in theaters, then expect to see a sequel as well as a few other, darker, more adult focused comic movies (Preacher anyone?), but if it does poorly, then we might just see more and more companies bail on the idea of making comic book movies for adults. That would be a shame.

Kick-Ass pulled in $19.75 million in it's first weekend - not a bad number, but not earth shattering, and not enough for other companies to get excited about adult-comic movies. The real test will be this upcoming weekend. If Kick-Ass manages to pull in another $19 + million, then people will start paying attention. But, in the long run, the movie is going to have a tough time pulling in major moola, because Iron Man 2 is right around the corner, and when that comes out you can bet that Kick-Ass will disappear from the rankings since its the same audience that the two films are trying to get. So, in the end, I'm hoping that Kick-Ass can do in the neighborhood of $50 - $60 million in the theaters. That would be a positive sign. The bad news would be if it comes in this weekend with little to know added effect from word of mouth. If you see the movie do $10 mil or under, then we're in trouble.

Grantly
04-22-2010, 07:06 PM
I wouldn't be so quick to assume there is going to be a sequel. This movie has drawn a LOT of fire from some very important people in the movie industry. But, as we all know, it depends on the money. If Kick-Ass does well in theaters, then expect to see a sequel as well as a few other, darker, more adult focused comic movies (Preacher anyone?), but if it does poorly, then we might just see more and more companies bail on the idea of making comic book movies for adults. That would be a shame.

Kick-Ass pulled in $19.75 million in it's first weekend - not a bad number, but not earth shattering, and not enough for other companies to get excited about adult-comic movies. The real test will be this upcoming weekend. If Kick-Ass manages to pull in another $19 + million, then people will start paying attention. But, in the long run, the movie is going to have a tough time pulling in major moola, because Iron Man 2 is right around the corner, and when that comes out you can bet that Kick-Ass will disappear from the rankings since its the same audience that the two films are trying to get. So, in the end, I'm hoping that Kick-Ass can do in the neighborhood of $50 - $60 million in the theaters. That would be a positive sign. The bad news would be if it comes in this weekend with little to know added effect from word of mouth. If you see the movie do $10 mil or under, then we're in trouble.

With worldwide gross it's past $37 million right now, so it's made back its budget, and the marketing costs should be made back this weekend if it can hold its spot. I'm pretty sure the only movie that will really compete with it is The Losers, which has gotten a huge backlash from fans for its PG-13 rating, so I think we're good. The film was made independently, and even though it wasn't a massive success, I don't think any distributors would shy away from a sequel, there's enough positive reviews and responses.