PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Updates Take Too Damn Long!

Jitterbug
04-10-2010, 11:51 AM
I figured I would sign into the PS3 and start adding the names of everyone that has listed their PSNtag on the forums as a friend - but there was an update that I needed to do for the system. Okay, no biggie. 10 minutes later and I am currently sitting at 19% completed. Holy crap, Sony... What the hell is in these updates that takes so damn long? ARGGG!!!

Sorry - I'm just frustrated and I needed to vent.

Jitterbug
04-10-2010, 12:12 PM
I figured I would sign into the PS3 and start adding the names of everyone that has listed their PSNtag on the forums as a friend - but there was an update that I needed to do for the system. Okay, no biggie. 10 minutes later and I am currently sitting at 19% completed. Holy crap, Sony... What the hell is in these updates that takes so damn long? ARGGG!!!

Sorry - I'm just frustrated and I needed to vent.

22 minutes later and it is at 52% completed.

Jitterbug
04-10-2010, 12:58 PM
So it finally finished, then I decided to put in a game that I've had for a while and just never got around to playing: Fracture. Of course there was an update... only took about a minute. Then the game starts up and, oh - what the hell do you know - it has to install files. So now I'm staring at a loading bar that is counting down the long 5 and a half minute wait for the files to install.

I know I sound really bitchy right now, but this God damned system drives me crazy with this shit. Sometimes I just want to chill out and play a game in the little bit of time I have available to play!!! There's all sorts of shit I need to get done today, and playing games isn't something I can afford to sit and wait an hour to do!!!

BLARHFGJGHCOJ!

NERD RAGE!!!

Farva
04-10-2010, 02:09 PM
Quit your crying you big baby!

Set it up to install, then turn on your 360 and play a real gaming console. When your Blu-ray player is ready to play, it'll tell you.

Cam-Dog
04-10-2010, 02:13 PM
Well when you have months between play sessions updates tend to stock up.

Also why the hell would you play Fracture?

Jitterbug
04-10-2010, 02:28 PM
Well when you have months between play sessions updates tend to stock up.

Also why the hell would you play Fracture?

I have no clue. I bought i for $10 a while ago and just now decided to try it. It sucks giant balls. I played it for about 20 minutes and quit. Then put it in the pile of games I'm going to trade in soon.

MsDrunkyTS
04-14-2010, 12:22 PM
I just bought a ps3 and I was suprised my update for the system only took 30ish mins. . .and i have slow internet, realy slow. . . . I was afried with all the complaints for the downloading times i was going to be there for hours. . . .

Fisherman
04-14-2010, 01:08 PM
I have no clue. I bought i for $10 a while ago and just now decided to try it. It sucks giant balls. I played it for about 20 minutes and quit. Then put it in the pile of games I'm going to trade in soon.

Have you picked up Uncharted 2 yet for the gamernight? If you have, you are wasting your time with any other PS3 game if you're not playing that game's campaign. I dare say you are wasting your gaming time playing any other game period if you haven't cracked the plastic on that yet. It was the best campaign I played all of last year.

But yeah, man. Fuck yeah. Apples to apples, the updates on PS3 are ridiculous compared to the updates on 360.

Jitterbug
04-14-2010, 01:14 PM
Have you picked up Uncharted 2 yet for the gamernight? If you have, you are wasting your time with any other PS3 game if you're not playing that game's campaign. I dare say you are wasting your gaming time playing any other game period if you haven't cracked the plastic on that yet. It was the best campaign I played all of last year.

But yeah, man. Fuck yeah. Apples to apples, the updates on PS3 are ridiculous compared to the updates on 360.

I plan on buying UC2 very soon. I'm looking forward to it, because people seem to really love it - and hearing someone like you wax nostalgic on it gives me a lot of hope too, because you own both systems. I have been caught up in the Fanboy crap a lot - where someone insists that a certain game is MIND-BLOWING and the BEST GAME ON THE MARKET when they are really only such a big fan because it is an exclusive (cough cough KILLZONE 2 cough cough.)

MrSoft
04-14-2010, 02:45 PM
I have been caught up in the Fanboy crap a lot - where someone insists that a certain game is MIND-BLOWING and the BEST GAME ON THE MARKET when they are really only such a big fan because it is an exclusive (cough cough KILLZONE 2 cough cough.)

It is possible to love a game that others hate you know. K2 was my 2nd favourite game of last year after Uncharted 2 and is, I think, my favourite shooter ever. That's not fanboy bullshit that's just my opinion.

And as for updates I often think you 360 owners like to complain just as much as us Sony fanboys like to defend when it comes to the PS3. Come on, they really aren't that bad. Anyway, I prefer my software to be updated when things are ready to be changed not when it gets to a certain time of the year.

Jitterbug
04-14-2010, 03:09 PM
It is possible to love a game that others hate you know. K2 was my 2nd favourite game of last year after Uncharted 2 and is, I think, my favourite shooter ever. That's not fanboy bullshit that's just my opinion.

And as for updates I often think you 360 owners like to complain just as much as us Sony fanboys like to defend when it comes to the PS3. Come on, they really aren't that bad. Anyway, I prefer my software to be updated when things are ready to be changed not when it gets to a certain time of the year.

I understand, and I think that KZ2 was a capable shooter - but I don't think it deserved the gushing praise it got. I mean, most game mags gave it a 9 or 10 score! Wha??? Seriously?

As for the update thing - I don't think it is just a bunch of 360 fanboys finding something to complain about. It is really, really, really annoying to have to sit and watch a game download and update when all I want to do is play it. I think it's a valid point that Sony needs to fix. I really think this is a great example of how Sony is ignoring the little annoyances about their system that is turning people off. It's easy to say, "Oh come on, is it that big of a deal that a game takes ten minutes to update every now and again?" But when you add that to the list of other little annoyances: No standard mic online, poor online system, multiplatform games getting scored higher on other systems... It just starts to add up.

Nerves
04-14-2010, 03:15 PM
I just got my UC2 game in the mail and am STOKED to play it!...Wait what's this? 6 updates!!!...see you tomorrow Drake and your wonderful treasures.

MrSoft
04-14-2010, 03:40 PM
Sorry, totally forgot, I know exactly why it's just 360 owners that complain. It's cos you don't play PS3 games enough so when you do it always seems like you have to update. For anyone that plays their PS3 it's not even an issue, ask PacManPolarBear from SG ;)

So sure it might help if Sony fixed it but it's not the pandemic you guys make it out to be. Suck it up.

Fisherman
04-14-2010, 03:48 PM
Sorry, totally forgot, I know exactly why it's just 360 owners that complain. It's cos you don't play PS3 games enough so when you do it always seems like you have to update. For anyone that plays their PS3 it's not even an issue, ask PacManPolarBear from SG ;)

So sure it might help if Sony fixed it but it's not the pandemic you guys make it out to be. Suck it up.

I don't think anyone's pissed that the PS3 updates its firmware, its just that the update that takes the PS3 30 minutes to download and 5 more minutes to install, whereas a 360 update takes a minute, at most, to download and install.

Its not like Jitterbug hasn't played his PS3 in years, dude. Within the last few shows we've heard about his God of War 3 impressions. Luckily for double-owners, I can pop over to the 360 and play some Just Cause while the PS3 does its thing, but for those with just a PS3, it would get pretty damned annoying.

MrSoft
04-14-2010, 06:09 PM
I don't think anyone's pissed that the PS3 updates its firmware, its just that the update that takes the PS3 30 minutes to download and 5 more minutes to install, whereas a 360 update takes a minute, at most, to download and install.

Its not like Jitterbug hasn't played his PS3 in years, dude. Within the last few shows we've heard about his God of War 3 impressions. Luckily for double-owners, I can pop over to the 360 and play some Just Cause while the PS3 does its thing, but for those with just a PS3, it would get pretty damned annoying.

1st of all, not using the PS3 still makes it seem like every time you want to play a game you have to download updates for it. Anyway, if you double owners can just pop of to play the 360 then there's no need to keep fucking whining about it, cos we of the PS3 don't.

Cam-Dog
04-14-2010, 06:32 PM
So wait 360 games dont get updates that much like the PS3?

I really do think you guys are making to big of a deal out of this but that may just sound like fanboy talk.

Jitterbug
04-14-2010, 09:57 PM
So wait 360 games dont get updates that much like the PS3?

I really do think you guys are making to big of a deal out of this but that may just sound like fanboy talk.

The 360 gets updates, but they take literally 10 - 30 seconds. The PS3 updates seem to take forever. Keep in mind, of course, that I'm an impatient jerk.

Cam-Dog
04-15-2010, 12:04 AM
The 360 gets updates, but they take literally 10 - 30 seconds. The PS3 updates seem to take forever. Keep in mind, of course, that I'm an impatient jerk.

Humm thats crazy I guess the PS3 being built more like a PC is the main problem.
Also I always take the fact that you're an impatient jerk into consideration.

Nerves
04-15-2010, 07:29 AM
I guess the issue is I have bought 4 PS3 games recently, one I downloaded off of PSN. With the exception of GOW3, which took no time to install, I have had to wait at least 6 hours to play a game I just spent $60 for. It really is a buzz kill. I love my PS3 and think it does have more power under the hood. However the frustrations that come with just trying to get the games going is ridiculous. It's not the firmware updates, it's the game loads, updates, installs, how the hell do you navigate, how does this headset work, where are my friends, how do I get in a game with them? I'm done now. Can't wait to play UC2 tonight...seriously. I hope it is awesome!

Fisherman
04-15-2010, 10:53 AM
Hey, it's not a problem for me. It's a problem for Sony, though, because this is one of those little things that make me want to purchase multiplatform games for the 360 instead of the PS3. If they don't care about that incremental revenue though, I guess it's not a problem for anyone.

djdsf
04-15-2010, 03:47 PM
Apparently all of you have slow ass PS3s, I dloaded burnout and it dloaded the game, the DLC, installed game+DLC and did the 5 updates in about 40 minutes and usually my system updates take no longer than 2 or 3 minutes tops, which is long enough to go get a drink and come back.

Farva
04-15-2010, 05:27 PM
I'm not gonna lie, I can't stand playing games on my PS3. I haven't tried UC1 or 2 yet, and am eager to get into it, as well as GOW3, but I'm anxious for the games not the system. The load times do bother me, and I have an internet speed of over 12MB/sec. My gripes really continue on with the controller (I'm just not used to it anymore), and the poor online capabilities (cross-game chat, ease of finding friends online, general navigation, etc...). I think it's an incredibly powerful system, and I'm glad I own one for the exclusives that are released, and for the fantastic Blu-ray player it is, but it's definatly my second system. If they could fix the load times, that would go a long way. Often, I rent/buy a game, then while I'm waiting for the updates/instals for the game I play my 360. Soon, I forget that I'm waiting for my PS3 and the game hardly gets played.

True I have a short attention span, but it's little things like this that need tweaking.

Quinstar
04-16-2010, 01:44 PM
I have to say that load times never really bothered me. But then again, my PS3 gets turned on just about every single day so I don't really ever have to download more than one at a time. I am a rather patient person though, so I'm sure that helps.

Lokela
04-16-2010, 02:12 PM
I think my PS3 might be slow on the download, but it never bothers me. I tend to start it, then walk away for a few hours...forgetting that I even had it on.

MsDrunkyTS
05-07-2010, 09:18 AM
wait whats this about 6 fucking updates to uncharted 2? gggrrrrr I have it and haven't bothered to play it yet and this just disancurages me more! I've turned my ps3 on once with the intentions of playing UC2 but the system had to update. So i hopped on the 360 and ended up not going back. I'm not sure why i bought this ps3 i dont' play it!

Jitterbug
05-07-2010, 10:33 AM
wait whats this about 6 fucking updates to uncharted 2? gggrrrrr I have it and haven't bothered to play it yet and this just disancurages me more! I've turned my ps3 on once with the intentions of playing UC2 but the system had to update. So i hopped on the 360 and ended up not going back. I'm not sure why i bought this ps3 i dont' play it!

Luckily the UC2 updates didn't take a ridiculously long time... Well, for the PS3 anyhow.

Cam-Dog
05-07-2010, 03:04 PM
Cry me a river.

TheStonedSheep
05-24-2010, 09:41 AM
Yeah it does every know and again take to long but I'm glad that Sony is constantly improving the system (except for the last one).