PDA

View Full Version : Recommended iphone Apps

Farva
04-08-2010, 03:29 PM
I know not everyone has an iphone, but for those that do, there's a lot of Bull Shit apps to search through to find a few good ones. If you have an app you like, drop a reply in here with the name of the App and why you like it. Here's a few of mine.

Amatuer Surgeon
- It's a game kinda like the Trama series on the Wii. Imagine a cartoon version of Operation (the nose-lighting game when you were a kid). It's under a dollar and worth it.

Epic Fail / Demotivaional Posters
- These are two fee apps that are nothing more than a collection of fail pics and demotivational posters. They get new stuff pretty often, and it's always good for a smile when I need one.

The Word
- If you're a fan of Stephen Colberts "The Word" segment, then you must get this app. It's under a dollar and updates everytime he does a new one. It has every one he's ever done, and it's a great way to kill a little time.

Fieldrunners
- One of the best Tower Defense games on the iphone. It's simple yet incredably addicting and challenging. worth the ninety-nine cents.

I've got a few more, but I wanted to see what you guys recommend.

VinDali
04-08-2010, 05:32 PM
Find Craft Beer
Using your current location it will show you near by bars, brewpubs, good stores for beer, home brew shops.

Tweet Defense
Really addictive tower defense game. Never got into a TD game before, but picked this one up a couple weeks ago for a buck and love it.

ESPN Radio app
I use it every day. Choose from 15 (I think) different cities ESPN rado stations or get podcasts directly in the app.

Jitterbug
04-08-2010, 06:58 PM
Settlers of Cattan - It's pretty darn fun if you like the boardgame. Just realize that the tougher enemies will cheat like a mother fucker, so just play against the three lowest level enemies.

Farva
04-08-2010, 07:02 PM
Find Craft Beer
using your current location it will show you near by bars, brewpubs, good stores for beer, home brew shops.

Tweet Defense
Really addictive tower defense game. Never got into a TD game before, but picked this one up a couple weeks ago for a buck and love it.

ESPN Radio app
I use it every day. Choose from 15 (I think) different cities ESPN rado stations or get podcasts directly in the app.

Thanks Vin, I downloaded the ESPN App and am loving it. Great call, Sir. Now I can listen to ESPN Chicago instead of being bombarded by the Cowboy-loving station.

Settlers of Cattan - It's pretty darn fun if you like the boardgame. Just realize that the tougher enemies will cheat like a mother fucker, so just play against the three lowest level enemies.

I played Cattan a few times with some friends back in Alaska. Thought it was a pretty good game. I had no idea that there was an App for it. If the price is right, it'll get downloaded tonight. Thanks.

doworkson176
04-08-2010, 08:38 PM
Jelly Car 1 & 2.
Nuff said.

Fisherman
04-13-2010, 11:14 AM
My most-played iPhone games are Flight Control ($.99), 9 Innings: Pro Baseball ($2.99) and Words Free (free).

Flight Control is basically a puzzle game where you're tasked with landing planes on their respective air strips. It spent a lot of time around #1 most downloads, which is how I found it, and it is addictive fun. Things get hairy around the 30-40 plane mark, and it's basically a fight for survival from that point on.

9 Innings: Pro Baseball is a baseball game that takes it back to the older NES-style arcade baseball games. It's got a TON of quirks, is very Japanese, has outdated rosters and not actual MLB teams, and is not for everyone. But if you don't wanna drop 3 bucks on it, there's a Lite version for free you can try out.

Words Free is basically turn-based Scrabble game you can play with friends. It's great because you get a push notification when your opponent makes a move, and you can make your move whenever you have time. Games can last between a few hours to a few days. Does anyone have this and want to start up a game with Fisherman?

MsDrunkyTS
05-07-2010, 08:39 AM
@Fisherman I'm up for a game anytime screeen name Yoko-out

Niyon
05-07-2010, 01:54 PM
I just got my iPod Touch last week, and I have found some cool apps that I picked up both free and paid that are good.

FREE:
TapDefense- great game, tower defense with a few maps and 8 tower types. Not a bad game to kill some time.

StarPagga- A starship FPS kinda game. Using accelerometer to turn your ship and do dogfighting against enemy ships. Also allows you to upgrade your ship and customize to your style

LineUp 2- It's the game where lines of colored blocks rise from the bottom, and you clear blocks off in sets of 3 or more. Has an unlimited mode, and a "Standard" mode where you need to clear as many as you can in 80 or so touches. It works really well.

DiceBag - It's a non-motion dice roller. Has most of the basic D&D dice rolls, including 4d4 with removing the lowest die, a % roll of 2d10s. Basic, but for a free dice roller, not bad.

Converter Plus- Allows you to put in certain values and compare them to similar measurements (like cups, to tablespoons, to Liters, to Gallons; or picometers, to miles, to yards, to fathoms)

Sudoku (by Mighty Mighty Good Games) - not a bad sudoku game, sometimes doesn't always respond to touches, or will decide you chose "6" instead of "5"

Solitare (by MobilityWare) - nice solitare game, allows different rules, different deck colors, and different backgrounds. Has an ad that pops up everytime you start a new game, but easily skipped.

PAID:
Sword and Poker 2 - fun RPG game that is similar to Galatrix or Puzzle Quest, but instead of Pop Cap style games, you have to create poker hands, almost like a Texas Hold-Em style. Definitely give the free lite version of the 1st sword and poker game a chance. ($1.99)

Mach Dice - another dice roller, this one you type in the equation (5d5+2d20+d2) and it will allow you to roll 5 6-sided, 2 20-sided and a 2-sided and see the results. Also allows you to hold dice and keep them from being re-rolled, and uses the accelerometer to roll the die rolls. Worth the value ($.99)

That's it for now, but I will probably give more when I download more

Choopy
05-07-2010, 06:09 PM
I really like iShoot. It's like the old ass game called Scorched Earth Comish and I used to play on his moms 386.
I have been diggin Zombie Farm lately.
And the text based RPGs by Storm 8 are fun too.

I just DL Red Laser. It used the camera to scan UPC coeds and search for better prices. It's a neat novelty.
For concert announcements, I have tended to use iLike Concerts alot. I've got JamBase and I Heart Concerts, but iLike made some nice improvements that blow the rest away.

I use Flixter over Fandange for the NetFlix integration.

Farva
05-08-2010, 08:06 AM
I just got my iPod Touch last week, and I have found some cool apps that I picked up both free and paid that are good.

FREE:
TapDefense- great game, tower defense with a few maps and 8 tower types. Not a bad game to kill some time.

StarPagga- A starship FPS kinda game. Using accelerometer to turn your ship and do dogfighting against enemy ships. Also allows you to upgrade your ship and customize to your style

LineUp 2- It's the game where lines of colored blocks rise from the bottom, and you clear blocks off in sets of 3 or more. Has an unlimited mode, and a "Standard" mode where you need to clear as many as you can in 80 or so touches. It works really well.

DiceBag - It's a non-motion dice roller. Has most of the basic D&D dice rolls, including 4d4 with removing the lowest die, a % roll of 2d10s. Basic, but for a free dice roller, not bad.

Converter Plus- Allows you to put in certain values and compare them to similar measurements (like cups, to tablespoons, to Liters, to Gallons; or picometers, to miles, to yards, to fathoms)

Sudoku (by Mighty Mighty Good Games) - not a bad sudoku game, sometimes doesn't always respond to touches, or will decide you chose "6" instead of "5"

Solitare (by MobilityWare) - nice solitare game, allows different rules, different deck colors, and different backgrounds. Has an ad that pops up everytime you start a new game, but easily skipped.

PAID:
Sword and Poker 2 - fun RPG game that is similar to Galatrix or Puzzle Quest, but instead of Pop Cap style games, you have to create poker hands, almost like a Texas Hold-Em style. Definitely give the free lite version of the 1st sword and poker game a chance. ($1.99)

Mach Dice - another dice roller, this one you type in the equation (5d5+2d20+d2) and it will allow you to roll 5 6-sided, 2 20-sided and a 2-sided and see the results. Also allows you to hold dice and keep them from being re-rolled, and uses the accelerometer to roll the die rolls. Worth the value ($.99)

That's it for now, but I will probably give more when I download more

For 99 cents you can pick up Gamebox. It used to be called "all in 1 gamebox". It's got a lot of these games in one app. It's got a knock-off "Fieldrunners" tower defense game, Sodoku, a few sniper games, an archery simulator, an archery "protect the castle" type game, a "Lemmings" type game, and much more. It started with 23 games and now has 30 games and they seem to add a new one for free every month or so.

If you're tight on cash, it's a must buy.

I really like iShoot. It's like the old ass game called Scorched Earth Comish and I used to play on his moms 386.
I have been diggin Zombie Farm lately.
And the text based RPGs by Storm 8 are fun too.

I just DL Red Laser. It used the camera to scan UPC coeds and search for better prices. It's a neat novelty.
For concert announcements, I have tended to use iLike Concerts alot. I've got JamBase and I Heart Concerts, but iLike made some nice improvements that blow the rest away.

I use Flixter over Fandange for the NetFlix integration.

Thanks for the ilike Concerts post. Since I've moved from Alaska and have more access to more concert venues, I've been trying to find a way to see who's playing where in one easy place. This is perfect.

Abrahamm Lincoln
05-24-2010, 09:31 AM
Plants VS Zombies - Tower Deffence game with plants... and zombies, just recently bought an iTouch and I've been addicted to this for the last week.

Civilitation Revolution - Almost exactly like the 360 game, except not as flashy.

Ognawk
05-24-2010, 04:54 PM
Angry Birds - Great puzzle game with a lot of similarities to Boom Blox, if any of you have ever played that.

Words With Friends Free - Free 2 player online Scrabble game.

Elfslayer087
05-24-2010, 09:13 PM
Angry birds great game where you slingshot little birds at homes to knock them over lots of fun

Shaha44
05-26-2010, 11:36 AM
Words With Friends is must have for any iDevice.

I also really like Shazaam. It only works with an iPhone, but what it does is tell you what song is playing. For example, you are at a bar and song you like comes on the jukebox but you don't know who the artist and track title are. Simply launch the app and it "listens" to the song and then gives the info. I haven't' had it fail yet.

Niyon
06-07-2010, 11:33 AM
I recently found Phoenix Wright for the iPhone/iPod Touch. Paid $4.99 for it, but as far as I can tell (never played the original game) it is a faithful recreation of the DS game. I've been having a lot of fun with it.

Niyon
10-02-2010, 08:05 PM
Found a free game thanks to the Gamercast Network VGS (in ep 212).

The game is Undercroft (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/undercroft/id388644935?mt=8).

For anyone who played the original DOS Might and Magic games, this will feel like a stripped down version of it. It is much simpler than Might and Magic, but it is all the same otherwise. I have sunk a lot of time into this game, and I am really enjoying it.

The only unfortunate thing is that it is a battery killer. So if you plan on long game sessions, have your charger nearby, or be charging it while playing.