PDA

View Full Version : iPad Gaming

Fisherman
04-03-2010, 01:10 PM
So I got my iPad today, and while I'm waiting (pretty patiently considering the circumstances) for it to sync the apps I pre-bought for it, I was wondering if anyone else got one or is planning on getting one too? I picked up Geometry Wars, Civ Rev, and will be playing the iPhone versions of Madden and 9 Innings baseball on its huge screen.

Also, I guess this begets the larger question - is iPad gaming considered Handheld Gaming? Or is it is its own class? Vote in the poll!

RobT
04-03-2010, 01:54 PM
Still not even a price for the UK... sigh. Hurry the FUCK up Apple. please.

Ryno r13
04-03-2010, 11:05 PM
So jealous...can't wait until I can get one.

daCooksta
04-03-2010, 11:07 PM
ehh...

I know I won't be getting one. I just don't think it's portable enough for a gaming device of it's kind, and the only use I'd be able to find for it would be to read comics.

Fisherman
04-04-2010, 12:17 AM
ehh...

I know I won't be getting one. I just don't think it's portable enough for a gaming device of it's kind, and the only use I'd be able to find for it would be to read comics.

I can assure you, reading comics on this thing is a delight. That usage was what pushed me over the edge, but the awesome implementation of Geometry Wars was unexpected.

daCooksta
04-04-2010, 12:46 AM
I can assure you, reading comics on this thing is a delight. That usage was what pushed me over the edge, but the awesome implementation of Geometry Wars was unexpected.

If I find myself with extra scholarship money, I'll look into it. Could be interesting.

RobT
04-04-2010, 05:45 AM
Geometry wars?!! GOD DAMN, APPLE YOU BASTARDS!

NuclearNinja
04-05-2010, 09:08 AM
Im not gonna get and Ipod Touch XXL. Its too damn big to play portable games with.

Jitterbug
04-05-2010, 09:09 AM
This fucking thing weighs over a pound! The last thing I want to do when gaming is port around a system that weighs a pound!

MrWooT
04-05-2010, 10:40 AM
It looks pretty cool, I will wait for the next version/upgrade though, because by then I would've read enough reviews to decide.

Cheese
04-05-2010, 10:57 AM
Yeah, I'm holding back too. Gonna give the day one buyers a chance to find the main bugs first so they're ironed out by the time I get one.

Farva
04-05-2010, 11:35 AM
There is no way in hell I'm going to pick one up. I did vote, yes however, simply due to the fact that I consider my iphone a portible gaming device. Even if the games are sometime simple in nature, I've lost hours to them when sitting around waiting for....whatever.

daCooksta
04-05-2010, 01:21 PM
I'll say though, a new Civ game for it would be awesome. Civ Rev has sucked several hours out of my life.

Fisherman
04-15-2010, 12:31 AM
I'll say though, a new Civ game for it would be awesome. Civ Rev has sucked several hours out of my life.

My girlfriend is absolutely obsessed with Civ Rev for the iPad. It is a shot-for-shot remake of the console version. As stated, I've been digging Geometry Wars, but I've also been digging Real Racing HD and Flight Control HD. I've heard great things about the iPad's version of Mirror's Edge and am intrigued by C&C Red Alert, but those prices need to come down before I take a real hard look at them.

I was looking forward to running my iPhone apps on it on a larger screen, but once you see a few actual iPad apps/games on it, you can't really go back to playing blown-up versions of games designed for a smaller screen. It's not as if you can't go back and play them on an iPhone/iTouch, it just looks horribly pixelated on a bigger screen, especially when you blow it up to fill the screen more completely.

The other thing that's bothersome about it is just how crippled it is when there's no wifi around (and I'm not paying monthly for 3G). Many of these apps rely on internet connection, and that's essentially how I have my homepages sorted - the first page all has apps that rely on the internet, and the second/third page all have apps that don't need the internet. Hopefully there will be some way to jailbreak this to tether it (either through a tether or through bluetooth) to an iPhone and leech off of that data network.

The killer app for this thing has been ComicZeal and Marvel, the comic book readers. I will never read comics any other way than digitally on this device, and for that alone the purchase was totally worth it. Another excellent app is Camera for iPad, which will connect the device to your iPhone, and probably in the future any bluetooth-enabled camera phone, and while you snap pictures on your phone, it saves them on the iPad. Sort of like the thing had a camera in the first place, but you don't need to try to take pictures with this unwieldy device.

Wow, I didn't anticipate that response developing into a full-blown review, but there ya go. If you can get around the transportation thing, are into comics and games as well as interested in reading ebooks, and you can justify $500 (because there really isn't much reason to get any of the more expensive models) this thing is probably a good buy.

RobT
04-19-2010, 09:03 AM
International launch delayed a month due to US demand. I hate you all cocktards!

GAH

Shaha44
04-19-2010, 12:25 PM
I can only imagine how awesome Plants vs. Zombies would be on an iPad. It kicks ass on my phone and would love to try it out on a bigger screen.

Devette
04-24-2010, 03:33 AM
I can only imagine how awesome Plants vs. Zombies would be on an iPad. It kicks ass on my phone and would love to try it out on a bigger screen.

My husband has Plants vz Zombies on his iPad. If he sees me playing it on my iphone he can't resist plopping down next to me and starting it up on his iPad just to flaunt how much better it is.

Fisherman
04-24-2010, 10:46 AM
My husband has Plants vz Zombies on his iPad. If he sees me playing it on my iphone he can't resist plopping down next to me and starting it up on his iPad just to flaunt how much better it is.

Haha, what a jackass. By the way, I'm playing Plants v. Zombies on the iPad as you're reading this.

Devette
04-24-2010, 12:58 PM
Haha, what a jackass. By the way, I'm playing Plants v. Zombies on the iPad as you're reading this.

lol daaaannngg yoooouuuu!!!!!! **shakes fist**