PDA

View Full Version : Legalization of Cannabis

Natural Eraser
04-02-2010, 05:18 PM
The title kind of says it all; are you for or against the legalization of cannabis? Just wondered if anyone here had any opinion about the subject.

Jitterbug
04-02-2010, 07:57 PM
100% for it. I haven't smoked weed in 13 years, and don't really have any desire to start again, but the fact that it is illegal is just plain dumb.

Cam-Dog
04-02-2010, 08:03 PM
I did a ton of research on this topic for a government project. I was and am still for it being legal but It would cost quit a bit of money from the government up front and it would take 5-10 years for us to start making a profit. So yeah It should happen but not till we have more money to spend freely.
Any questions? I've got quit a bit of info on the subject.

Farva
04-02-2010, 08:06 PM
I'm all for it. The taxes alone would help.

m-m-m
04-02-2010, 08:38 PM
for it.

Natural Eraser
04-03-2010, 08:00 AM
I agree with you, itīs very weird that they havenīt already legalized it when there is money to be made. It would also take it away from the streets and take away a pretty large criminal community.

Jitterbug
04-03-2010, 08:27 AM
The history of why it was made illegal in the first place is astonishing. No kidding - it was made illegal to stop black men from smoking it, going crazy, and raping white women. You can't make shit like that up. In truth though, William Randolph Hurst was the one that made it illegal. He was the newspaper baron of the early 20th century (The Rupert Murdoch of his day - and the basis for Citizen Kane) that OWNED the USA propaganda machine - aka the media. He owned all of the major newspapers. Because his business required so much paper, and because he was an enterprising kind of guy, he put a lot of money into timber. This meant that the more papers were sold, he made more money in EVERY way, Well, when old Hursty heard that a new fiber called HEMP could revolutionize the paper industry because it was better for the environment, easier to use, and all around BETTER then timber, he wouldn't stand for it. He started running article after article about how terrible marijuana was. Fabricated articles that lead to a hysteria in congress about a harmless plant.

If you really want to get into it, the company Dupont also had a lot to do with the criminalization of Pot, again for their own monetary benefit. But that's another story.

El Mariachi
04-03-2010, 09:32 AM
They should legalize to make stoners talk about something else. Seriously.

doworkson176
04-03-2010, 10:52 AM
I havent ever smoked it but i wouldnt care if it was legalized.

BlinkinCard41
04-03-2010, 11:07 AM
The only way I'll ever try marijuana is if it becomes legal. I'm not one for taking risks and I'm definitely not going to risk going to jail for something as stupid as that

doworkson176
04-03-2010, 12:16 PM
The only way I'll ever try marijuana is if it becomes legal. I'm not one for taking risks and I'm definitely not going to risk going to jail for something as stupid as that

I agree dude. Im sure it is a lot of fun but i wouldnt want to risk my future over something like that. I think ill wait to try it too.

Grantly
04-03-2010, 03:50 PM
I am absolutely for legalizing marijuna. Drinking is legal, and when you're drunk you do stupid shit and hurt people. But when you're high you just sit there, giggle, and eat a lot. It's totally harmless.

Nipples
04-04-2010, 02:24 AM
First of all I think this thread deserves a poll added to it.

Secondly, I'm for it.

Thirdly, with this TALKINGSHIP MACHINE (lol) we can and WILL unite the people to stand up, grab our local representatives by the balls, and tell them to legalize it. Most likely the stoner majority will sit back and think about it until they smoke another one and forget what was going on.

Farva
04-04-2010, 08:10 AM
I was going to write my Congressman, but now all I want are Frito's.

DEL
04-04-2010, 10:32 AM
It is going toward the direction of legalization with states like MA decriminalizing small amounts first. There are plenty of states that want the money that it will bring to the tax pool these days with there budgets being strained to the breaking point and all. Though they are also weary to become the first state to do so, since narco-tourism will be an inevitable side effect for the first state that does it, and many states do not want to have Americas Amsterdam within their borders since it will inevitably increase the need for law enforcement in the area due to the risk of smuggling to bordering states.

Choopy
04-04-2010, 05:10 PM
This is one I am torn on. Politically, I'm against it being illegal. Personally, I'm not sure it's necessary.
I've never been a big fan of smoking it, however, I've probably been exposed to more pot than most people.
I have no problem with people getting high at their leisure. I guess my only hesitation comes in with dangerous jobs. There are jobs out there where your life depends on other people. I wouldn't want to worry about someone being high and dropping a wrench on a 345 kV lead joint in a manhole that was just pumped while I'm down there. I guess my point to this is that it's an unnecessary risk.

Other than that, I'm all for it.

VinDali
04-06-2010, 09:07 AM
FOR

Look at Holland - they decriminalized it and crime rates went WAY down!!
Plus instead of treating drug addicts on truly hard drugs like criminals, they put them into treatment. They treat the problem, not discard the individual and clog up the prisons.

I respect your research, but can't see how it would take 5 years to make a profit. Give the Cigarette companies a piece of the pie (they've been screwing up peoples lives for a Loooong time) and let them harvest, roll 'em up and package them like a pack of smokes. They already have the equipment there.

As someone who lost both of their parents to Chemotherapy for Cancer (both were much healthier before starting Chemo, even if they did have cancer) I would have loved for them to have been able to have some pot to help them with the Nausea and restore some of their appetite.

"Remember Kids - if you're gonna smoke pot, use clean needles."
Frank Caliendo

Natural Eraser
04-06-2010, 10:31 AM
I have no problem with people getting high at their leisure. I guess my only hesitation comes in with dangerous jobs. There are jobs out there where your life depends on other people. I wouldn't want to worry about someone being high and dropping a wrench on a 345 kV lead joint in a manhole that was just pumped while I'm down there. I guess my point to this is that it's an unnecessary risk.

Doesn't the same apply to alcohol then? It's just commonsense that you don't risk someones life because you wanted to get high or drunk, you just don't do it, but I see your point.
I actually hoped someone would be against legalization, I would like to see their side of this.

Choopy
04-06-2010, 01:40 PM
Doesn't the same apply to alcohol then? It's just commonsense that you don't risk someones life because you wanted to get high or drunk, you just don't do it, but I see your point.
I actually hoped someone would be against legalization, I would like to see their side of this.

You are right. It is pretty much the same thing.
My concern is that by legalizing it, you are endorsing it in a sense. This will lead people to use less judgement and induces additional risk.
With alcohol you can take a piss test and know if it is in your system at that moment. Pot stays for weeks. You really can't test someone to see if they are high at work at that moment. This will increase usage in situations like this.

Again, this is just a side point. My official stance stays the same.

MrsChupacabra
04-06-2010, 10:08 PM
Hmmm, I have never, yes never smoked weed. I never really saw the plus to doing so. Everyone that I have ever met that did was slow & annoying to hold a conversation with. This being said, I have never done drugs of any sort- I watched too many people just turn into someone else.
I think the jails would be better put to use if it was legalized. At the same time, we already take a chance driving down the street with people that don't have enough sense to not drink and drive. I don't want it in my life, or in my kids life. If you want to sit home and smoke a bowl, go for it- BUT, don't make it my problem. I also consider my boys in this... Do I sit around and tell me kids, drinking is cool. Not at all, will they do it? Most likely. My job is to teach them to be responsible adults. It's their choice to decide what they are going to do with that. We have taught our kids, "Don't do drugs" is making it legal saying "It's okay now?"
I don't at all want my kids to be pot heads- What stops people from taking it too far? The fact they will go to jail. Take that away and you're stuck with a lot of people that think it's okay to be under the influence. Then again, you can throw out the same debate for alcohol, right?

MrsChupacabra
04-06-2010, 10:16 PM
Oh and I just read something where you can get your weed in Arizona from the Ice cream man.... Really? That's the kinda world you want to live in?

Just for the record if I wasn't clear.... I am against this. Then again, I am very against drugs of any sort and I honestly find it disgusting!

Jitterbug
04-06-2010, 10:39 PM
We would be far better off if we stopped focusing on and jailing pot dealers/users and started focusing on the Pharmaceutical industry and Doctors prescribing opiates to their addicted patients. Think about this: Bad Drug Interactions is the #1 cause of unnatural death in the USA, yet an infinitesimal number of doctors are ever charged with providing patients with abusive levels of drugs. Pot kills damn near NO ONE, yet thousands of people are jailed for dealing it every year. HUH?! Oh wait, the government gets a nice slice out of those pharmaceutical sales - so they aren't very motivated to stop that.

MrsChupacabra
04-06-2010, 11:25 PM
I was talking to Christian (my son- who is 16) and we were having a conversation about drugs. He told me this " Mom, kids don't really do coke or acid- You know what they sell at school? pain killers (oxy cotton and such) and Xanax type of drugs. Kids, don't really know about acid and the stuff you grew up with."

On a personal note, my cousin at 29 died of a weird mix of oxy cotton, his drug dealer wasn't careful to tell him to not mix.

A year later, my cousin that is like a brother, shot himself in the head, high on meth. He was 28-

While that has nothing to do with pot- It's just really is it all worth it?

In regards to the doctors and the prescribed pills... I am with you a 100%- That's the stuff that we're dealing with now.

Why do people think it's okay to do these drugs? BECAUSE they're legal.

I am sorry but I did read someone say that they have NEVER smoked weed, but IF it is legalized they will give it a shot.

We are simply saying "it's okay" and being that no one has died from it is where you can kinda say what's the big deal.

My thought is do you want these people at work with you? Driving down the streets? Around your kids?

Jitterbug
04-07-2010, 08:43 AM
But lumping Marijuana in with these opiates, or even meth, isn't a fair comparison. Studies have shown that mumbo-jumbo about Pot being a gateway drug is BS, and the harmful effects of Pot are insignificant when compared to real drugs. I think my main point with Pot is that it is classified wrong. It is literally classified as the same level narcotic as heroin!!! WTF?! That's plain goofy.

MrsChupacabra
04-09-2010, 09:57 AM
I totally gotcha there.... Kinda went on my own rant about that. My point was really about the prescription drugs in your previous post.
I agree, meth is not the same as pot. I just know when we were kids Jason (my cousin) was a simple pot smoker. All in all, it comes down to choice. We do have control over what we choose to do. If you smoke pot then try out meth, that's kinda on you and I devalue anything otherwise.
Last night I started to think about this post for some unknown reason and wanted to apologize if I offended any potheads out there. Live and let live is my motto. I didn't mean to be so abrupt. I just feel passionate about the whole drug topic. On that note, as I said above, do what you want, just don't make it my problem, and I am not sure how much this will matter, but be responsible!
I do take more of an issue on whether or not its cool to legalize it... Because I don't think kids these days need another vise or an excuse like "it's legal" to do unhealthy things.

Jitterbug
04-09-2010, 10:19 AM
I can understand your viewpoint, but I feel that our freedom of choice shouldn't be taken away regarding something as innocuous as marijuana. Eating fastfood on a regular bases is far more dangerous to the body then smoking a joint every now and again (unless your smoking a joint and then running to Taco Bell! lol) And smoking tobacco trumps them all! If we're talking about this purely from a health standpoint, then tobacco should be first on the list to get banned, not marijuana. I'm not saying I want kids smoking dope, I think it's a dumb ass decision to smoke dope - but so is the decision to go on a beer-bender during a Bad Movie Drinky Drinky - the way I harmed my body during those is FAR worse then it was ever harmed by a joint, but I wouldn't want the government to take away my right to do that.

I think the thing to look at here are the countries that have decriminalized marijuana. Did the youth revolt? Are they horribly unhealthy due to marijuana? Are they all on heroin now because pot acted as a gateway for them? Nope.

If anything, putting an 'illegal' label on something as clearly harmless as marijuana is what creates the gateway effect. Damn near everyone would agree that marijuana is not as harmful as heroin, yet they are both classified as a Schedule 1 drug because they are 'addictive.' This is false, and kids KNOW it's bullshit. So they make the decision to do something illegal and smoke some pot because they understand that the government is lying to them about how harmful it is. Then, once they've made the decision to do something illegal and smoke pot, the road further down that drug highway is easier to make for two big reasons: 1 - They are associating themselves with other people who are willing to break the law and are into drugs. 2 - They have already broken the law, now laws have less merit for them.

Finally, if we were to make marijuana legal, we could tax the living hell out of it. I'm all for a 50% tax on marijuana. Say that it is a tax to try and help deal with any fallout from the drug being made legal. And if you want to solve the health issue, then don't make smokeable marijuana legal, but just the ingestible forms. Hell I've even seen THC soda!!!!

Fisherman
04-10-2010, 01:04 AM
I'm for it as well, and Californians will actually vote in November on this very topic. Here's hoping the majority of them see the potential profit and benefit of legalizing it, and the mad hysteria that led to it being outlawed in the first place.