PDA

View Full Version : Comic Books

daCooksta
03-31-2010, 08:47 AM
So, there's not a comic book section. That's fine.

Does anyone else around these parts read comics? I read the main continuity Marvel and DC stuff, and boy, is it awesome. And... if you do read Marvel, HOLYFREAKINGWOWSIEGETHREEISGOINGTOBEAMAZING.

That is all.

Quinstar
03-31-2010, 09:10 AM
Since I just got reprimanded via Twitter for not having been on the forums yet I will make this my first official post... are you ready...?

Yes. I too read comics, but I'm playing catch up right now. I'm in the mid 90's of Batman and X-men right now, as well as reading a little Superman Batman, so I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, but I'll take your word for it and say YAY!

Sorry I have nothing more enlightening to add to your post.

daCooksta
03-31-2010, 09:17 AM
Since I just got reprimanded via Twitter for not having been on the forums yet I will make this my first official post... are you ready...?

Yes. I too read comics, but I'm playing catch up right now. I'm in the mid 90's of Batman and X-men right now, as well as reading a little Superman Batman, so I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, but I'll take your word for it and say YAY!

Sorry I have nothing more enlightening to add to your post.

Well, I jumped in to DC's stuff at the very beginning of Blackest Night (after reading Final Crisis and a TON of graphic novels and stuff to get me acquainted), and it was pretty easy to know what's going on. I started reading Marvel continuity after reading the Civil War graphic novel, then Secret Invasion, and then reading the Dark Reign stuff. If you keep wikipedia handy for character information, it's really easy to just jump in at the start of an event.

Jitterbug
03-31-2010, 09:24 AM
If you haven't checked out 'Y The Last Man' then I highly recommend it. The first half is breathtakingly awesome, but the second half of the series is, unfortunately a bit of a let down. That being said, it is still good enough to warrant a read.

daCooksta
03-31-2010, 09:26 AM
If you haven't checked out 'Y The Last Man' then I highly recommend it. The first half is breathtakingly awesome, but the second half of the series is, unfortunately a bit of a let down. That being said, it is still good enough to warrant a read.

What kind of art is it? American, or Japanese?

Quinstar
03-31-2010, 09:26 AM
Yeah, I have a problem with not starting at the beginning of something. I do the same thing in games. It's kind of an issue.... So, I justified picking up Batman & X-men in the early 90's since that's what I read as a kid after my friend lent me his Knightfall comics. I'm really enjoying going back and reading through them. I've read Civil War and loved it. Considering that there are only 12 issues in a year it's not that difficult to read through all the back issues pretty fast, though the crossovers have been slowing things down a bit, but that's mostly due to trying to find them all.

daCooksta
03-31-2010, 09:27 AM
Yeah, I have a problem with not starting at the beginning of something. I do the same thing in games. It's kind of an issue.... So, I justified picking up Batman & X-men in the early 90's since that's what I read as a kid after my friend lent me his Knightfall comics. I'm really enjoying going back and reading through them. I've read Civil War and loved it. Considering that there are only 12 issues in a year it's not that difficult to read through all the back issues pretty fast, though the crossovers have been slowing things down a bit, but that's mostly due to trying to find them all.

Are you focusing on Batman? If so, good luck when you get to recent issues. I won't spoil anything for you, but things get a bit crazy in 2009 with the Batman comics and the comics connected to him.

Quinstar
03-31-2010, 09:33 AM
Are you focusing on Batman? If so, good luck when you get to recent issues. I won't spoil anything for you, but things get a bit crazy in 2009 with the Batman comics and the comics connected to him.

For the moment I'm sticking to Batman and X-men until I get current with them. I have read Batman & Son, The Black Glove, and Batman RIP. I had a friend kind of spill the beans and I couldn't wait. I have all the Batman & Robin sitting in a box just begging to be read, but I'm containing myself. This is quickly turning into an expensive hobby.

djdsf
03-31-2010, 09:36 AM

Yes, "Y The last man" is one of the best things I have ever read.

daCooksta
03-31-2010, 09:40 AM
For the moment I'm sticking to Batman and X-men until I get current with them. I have read Batman & Son, The Black Glove, and Batman RIP. I had a friend kind of spill the beans and I couldn't wait. I have all the Batman & Robin sitting in a box just begging to be read, but I'm containing myself. This is quickly turning into an expensive hobby.

You should also read the Final Crisis graphic novel once you get there in the continuity. It's crucial to your Batman education.

Quinstar
03-31-2010, 09:41 AM
Yes, "Y The last man" is one of the best things I have ever read.

DJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

djdsf
03-31-2010, 09:43 AM
dj!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chipmunk!!!!

Quinstar
03-31-2010, 09:45 AM
Chipmunk!!!!

Shhhhhhhhh... that's my secret identity. Now everyone will know...

djdsf
03-31-2010, 09:46 AM

There your secret has been edited :wink1:

daCooksta
03-31-2010, 09:47 AM

hai mayn he edited his pozts, but the quote remains in your quote. You've caused your own demise, Stephen.

EDIT: or... not!

Quinstar
03-31-2010, 10:00 AM
And no one will ever know.... Mwa Ha Ha Ha

Quinstar
03-31-2010, 10:19 AM

I'm intrigued. What is the storyline?

djdsf
03-31-2010, 10:25 AM
I'm intrigued. What is the storyline?

Deadly virus kills off every man in the world except for 1.

"Y" is a reference to the Y chromosome guys carry and how he has the last one.

Farva
03-31-2010, 12:14 PM

Luckiest Man EVER! Now let's see how all those bitches who quoted "Not if you were the last guy on earth" feel.

daCooksta
03-31-2010, 02:34 PM

Is it based off of I Am Legend? I've read a comic book interpretation of IAL, and it was really, really good.

shawvyshawv
03-31-2010, 03:31 PM
Is it based off of I Am Legend? I've read a comic book interpretation of IAL, and it was really, really good.

It's not based on I Am Legend and don't think the only man on Earth has it made. Senator's wives try to take over the White House, feminists try to take over the world and there's no more good music! The guy is in hell. Also, Siege is fucking awesome!

Jitterbug
03-31-2010, 03:40 PM
What kind of art is it? American, or Japanese?

It's American - and get this everyone: It was so good that the producers of LOST hired the writer to come and save their show. They felt it needed someone of his talent to come on and get the show going in the right direction again. So, remember how LOST sucked for a little while but then got awesome again - yeah, that was because of Brian K Vaughn, the writer of Y The Last Man.

Fisherman
03-31-2010, 04:47 PM

Absolutely! Y is one of the series that got me back into reading comics seriously again. Half the reason I'm blowing my wad on an iPad (yeah, read that out of context) is to read digital comics on its big, beautiful screen.

Deadpool
03-31-2010, 05:16 PM
I agree with the sentiments about Y. It's a fantastic read. It's going to be one of those books where, in 20 or so years, there's going to be this huge renaissance about it and it's going to be turned into a movie that's going to somewhat disappoint people...I've seen this happen...

As for basic Marvel/DC stuff. I'm a big big big big big fan of Deadpool, if you couldn't tell.
I love it. I will do my best to read anything I see about him. I'm super pumped for Deadpool Corps. with all the multidimensional Deadpools.
Keeping with Marvel, Dark Avengers is great. And Marvel Zombies is a fun little side thing as well (Zombie Deadpool's head from MZ 3 and 4 is going to be in Deadpool Corps. as "Headpool").

On the DC side, I'm a fan of Batman. I'm not really as big into it as Deadpool (I'm not really big into DC in the first place save for Batman and Watchmen), but I've read the bigger books (like Killing Joke and Year One).

I'll also read most of the stuff Geoff Johns writes if I get ahold of it (His Blackest Night stuff is great).

Jitterbug
03-31-2010, 05:41 PM
Y The Last Man the Movie is already in the works.

Deadpool
03-31-2010, 05:45 PM
Y The Last Man the Movie is already in the works.
Really now? How did I not hear about this?

Fisherman
03-31-2010, 05:53 PM

Yeah, With Mr. Transformer in the lead role. Ugh.

Deadpool
03-31-2010, 06:01 PM
Shia LeDouche?
Boner has gone down...

Jitterbug
03-31-2010, 06:01 PM

It's been on again - off again for a while now. But it seems like it is on again at this point. Here's a link to an article about it. (http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/opinions/7-things-we-demand-from-y-the-last-man-movie.php)

daCooksta
03-31-2010, 06:11 PM
Geoff Johns

Geoff Johns is they guy who walked into DC Comics, put on the big boy pants, and fixed everything for the awesome.

I just got done meeting my friends to all read Blackest Night 8 together (his work). Oooooooooooohhhhh boy are we excited for what comes next. He's also in charge of The Flash's revamp (I think), the current Green Lantern stuff (which is excellent), and he may be in charge of the new Green Arrow stuff. That man is DC Comics.

oh, and Deadpool pwns.

Deadpool
03-31-2010, 06:18 PM
oh, and Deadpool pwns.
I know.

shawvyshawv
03-31-2010, 08:31 PM
I just finished The Umbrella Academy Vol. 1: Apocalypse Suite. Gerard Way (My Chemical Romance) writes this surprisingly good emo inspired comic. Gabriel Ba does a fantastic job as artist. Definitely worth checking out.

daCooksta
03-31-2010, 09:07 PM
I know.

It's not related to Deadpool, but I feel inclined to suggest you find the comic where Daken (as Dark Wolverine) fights (and supposedly kills) The Punisher. It was an EPIC fight.

Deadpool
03-31-2010, 09:20 PM
It's not related to Deadpool, but I feel inclined to suggest you find the comic where Daken (as Dark Wolverine) fights (and supposedly kills) The Punisher. It was an EPIC fight.
I'm sure I've read it. I've read most of the Dark Avengers.

daCooksta
03-31-2010, 09:30 PM
I'm sure I've read it. I've read most of the Dark Avengers.

This was either a Dark Wolverine or a Punisher book. In fact, I'm pretty sure it was Punisher.

DimebagAbottRIP
04-02-2010, 11:25 PM
I just started getting into comics (mostly Marvel and DC) and found a website called www.graveyardmall.com that has a daily deal every once-in-a-while where they will ship you 50 random comics from either publisher for just $16 shipped in around a months time.

The box I got last time was of early '90s comics, and I got to admit, I've been reading at least 2 a day everyday since.

daCooksta
04-02-2010, 11:27 PM
I just started getting into comics (mostly Marvel and DC) and found a website called www.graveyardmall.com that has a daily deal every once-in-a-while where they will ship you 50 random comics from either publisher for just $16 shipped in around a months time.

The box I got last time was of early '90s comics, and I got to admit, I've been reading at least 2 a day everyday since.

Nice! My friends and I all collect different series and pass them along to each other. It's awesome.

Deadpool
04-02-2010, 11:36 PM
I had the opportunity to read Final Crisis again recently and it reminded me why I like Grant Morrison. Good stuff.

daCooksta
04-02-2010, 11:44 PM
I had the opportunity to read Final Crisis again recently and it reminded me why I like Grant Morrison. Good stuff.

Ahhhh don't remind me of FC. It's an awesome event, don't Get me wrong, but it raises a lot of questions about Batman and his current situation when you consider recent Blackest Night events/revelations and the events surrounding FC together.

Deadpool
04-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Try reading Batman R.I.P.
It's by Grant Morrison and it's what happens before Final Crisis. I think it's good.

daCooksta
04-04-2010, 12:38 PM
Try reading Batman R.I.P.
It's by Grant Morrison and it's what happens before Final Crisis. I think it's good.

Trust me, I have. It's a crazy book.

And it's even worse than Final Crisis when it comes to the mindfreak that is Blackest Night.

You see, since Batman's "dead", he should have come back in Blackest Night. However, when he did, he was all messed up. Thus, "Batman" was more likely one of the clones Darksied created. Which raises the question: was it really Batman who killed Darksied? if so, where is he now? And if it wasn't, then where is he?

Deadpool
04-04-2010, 12:40 PM
I don't fucking know. I just read this shit, m'kay?

daCooksta
04-04-2010, 05:16 PM
I don't fucking know. I just read this shit, m'kay?

No one but good ole Geoff Johns knows, and he's not telling.

Fisherman
04-07-2010, 07:35 PM
I read the digital version of the first edition of Runaways on my trip and couldn't put it down. Quite an excellent read, and a great one for anyone that isn't really *into* comics to jump in.