PDA

View Full Version : Heath Care

Cam-Dog
03-28-2010, 10:14 PM
While reading through this (http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2010/mar/26/health-care-promises-resolved/) short story on the resent heath care reform bill I got to thinking how does the ship feel about the whole thing.

Now I'm not saying this or any article on the internet is right or wrong and I'm definitely not saying that I know a whole lot about the issue in the first place
but from what I do know I think is a pretty good start to something that could really help our country in the long/medium run.

I'll come back later to add some more of my thoughts.
I'm adding a poll too to add more drama and the poll will be public.

Jitterbug
03-28-2010, 10:18 PM
While reading through this (http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2010/mar/26/health-care-promises-resolved/) short story on the resent heath care reform bill I got to thinking how does the ship feel about the whole thing.

Now I'm not saying this or any article on the internet is right or wrong and I'm definitely not saying that I know a whole lot about the issue in the first place
but from what I do know I think is a pretty good start to something that could really help our country in the long/medium run.

I'll come back later to add some more of my thoughts.
I'm adding a poll too to add more drama and the poll will be public.

Oh boy... You have no idea what smelly tuna can you just opened.
Here's my thoughts - Thank GOD we are finally trying to do SOMETHING about the health care system in this country. It might not be perfect, but it is the BEST STEP FORWARD we've taken in this country in the past 60 years. The fact that the leading cause of bankruptcy in this country is medical expenditure is horrible. And don't believe for one second that this is only because "irresponsible" people choose to take a chance by not having health insurance. A very large percentage of those bankruptcy's are because people THOUGHT they were covered, only to discover that the insurance company had a loop hole that was designed to fuck the insured person. Happens every day.

So, no matter if you like the bill or not, you have to admit that it is a good thing that the country is focused on the problem at hand. I can't see how we would be better off ignoring it.

Cam-Dog
03-28-2010, 10:29 PM
Yeah I knew this would be a exciting topic and I knew you would be the first to reply JB.

Choopy
03-29-2010, 12:10 AM
Oh boy... You have no idea what smelly tuna can you just opened.
I can't help but feel you had me in mind here....

My head is spinning over this topic. I will not be a buzz kill here (unless provoked) but I wIll say this....
I don't like it as a whole. I like some of what it does, but the cost is too great. Both in terms of financial and in freedoms relinquished.

If you want to know how I really feel, click on the blog link in my sig. Feel free to post here your comments on my views.

(I really tried to stay out of this but I just couldn't , sorry)

Jitterbug
03-29-2010, 12:13 AM
I can't help but feel you had me in mind here....

My head is spinning over this topic. I will not be a buzz kill here (unless provoked) but I wIll say this....
I don't like it as a whole. I like some of what it does, but the cost is too great. Both in terms of financial and in freedoms relinquished.

If you want to know how I really feel, click on the blog link in my sig. Feel free to post here your comments on my views.

(I really tried to stay out of this but I just couldn't , sorry)

Hell, I think you should talk freely about what you think. That's what this forum folder is for. If people didn't want to hear someone else's opinion on this, then they shouldn't go looking in the Politics folder!

So, what is it with the argument over the relinquished freedoms? What freedoms have been taken away?

Choopy
03-29-2010, 12:37 AM
Fucking iPhone..... Deleted my brilliant post I spent forever writing
I'll get back to you on this

PaganNinja
03-29-2010, 08:38 PM
im from canada. So free health care! YAY!

Natural Eraser
03-30-2010, 06:15 PM
I donīt really get why people are protesting about this. The ones who obvious benefits most form this are the poor and the unemployed. Correct me if Iīm wrong, but before the new health care bill you either received health insurance through employment or you had to pay for it yourself, which I understand is extremely expensive. If ca. 60% of your countries population is covered that means that almost half isn't. It baffles me that people can be against this, how can you be so selfish? In my opinion this is obviously a great leap forward for American citizens welfare.

Choopy
03-30-2010, 06:46 PM
I donīt really get why people are protesting about this. The ones who obvious benefits most form this are the poor and the unemployed.

The problem with this is that there are better ways to fix the system than making everyone else pay for it. And it will affect the poor more so than the middle class and rich by way of increasing costs for ALL businesses as they will inevitably have to cut back on employment and raise prices.The system is flawed. It needs to be fixed. Adding a shit ton of people to a broken system is not going to fix it, only break it further.
I have a post on my blog on some steps to take to fix the system here (http://www.myelection.info/hot-topics/how-to-fix-health-care-without-legislation).

What freedoms have been taken away?

Ok, I will address this now.
The first freedom is choice. We no longer have the choice on how to spend our money. We will HAVE to buy insurance or face a penalty enforceable by the IRS. This is not the way we do things here. It is probably not constitutional.
The bill is designed to ultimately break the private health insurance system and land everyone on the government dole. We do not need more entitlements, we need more self reliance and personal responsibility.
The other issue is what this will give the government the right to regulate in the future. Down the line when this program is facing the same budgetary constraints that Medicare and Medicaid are facing, are they going to ration care? Are they going to impose more regulations on what we can and can't do or how we do it? For instance, (I use this example a lot, but it's easy and can be applied to many different things) salt. What if they decide that they are spending too much on treatments for heart disease and high blood pressure? Will they ban salt? Don't say that inconceivable. Just look at trans fats in New York. What if broken bones are on the rise? Will they regulate hiking, skiing, skateboarding? This is not the kind of flood gate that should even be encroached upon by the government.
Additionally, one amendment of the bill removes the guarantee to private organizations for federally backed student loans. This is an obvious loss of choice. You can go to the government for these now and no one else. How does this improve health care? How can this be seen as anything but a power grab and not make the above claims more concerning?

Jitterbug
03-30-2010, 07:21 PM
So, were you mad when they made it mandatory to have car insurance?

Choopy
03-30-2010, 08:03 PM
I can choose to not drive. And thus not have to buy insurance. Driving is a privilege not a right. I can't opt out of having to buy healthcare under this plan unless I cease to live. Living is a right.