PDA

View Full Version : Avenged Sevenfold

Choopy
03-28-2010, 07:14 PM
Avenged Sevenfold is easy to overlook as a one or two hit wonder band with their radio play. And if you know me, not the kind of band you would expect to hear me rave about. Yet, if you look deeper into their albums, you will find a deep, dynamic, and really talented band.

I first heard them about 5 years ago on the Fuse version of Headbangers Ball. The video was a pretty heavy band with mohawks and a punk look. The music was ok. They went on to have some radio play with Afterlife and kind of mellowed out. I never paid much attention because it seemed like the typical chill out to get popular ala Atreyu/Metallica/etc.

At work I would listen to Pandora and I found myself running to my phone to see what band was playing only to find Avenged Sevenfold as the artist. So I got some of their albums and they are really good.

While this song (A Little Piece of Heaven from their self titled 2008 release) isn't the best song to get an overall feel for the band, it does display their versatility and dynamic range.It's a fun sounding song with pretty dark lyrics. It could be the soundtrack to any Tim Burton movie with Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham-Carter.
This video seems to have been made by a fan. It is very entertaining and well made.

Check them out, and give them a chance beyond what you've heard on the radio.

e8rPt4HL_l8

Grantly
03-28-2010, 07:27 PM
I love A7X, and A Little Piece of Heaven is one of my favorite songs by them. It sucks that we're not gonna get to hear anymore of The Rev's vocals.

muttonchop
03-30-2010, 06:52 AM
I must admit, I haven't really listened to any of their music before, I'll have to go out and buy some of their albums. Any suggestions for their better albums?

Choopy
03-30-2010, 02:18 PM
I'd suggest the self titled album
http://www.metalunderground.com/images/covers/Avenged_Sevenfold_-_Avenged_Sevenfold_cover.gif

doworkson176
03-30-2010, 09:07 PM
I must admit, I haven't really listened to any of their music before, I'll have to go out and buy some of their albums. Any suggestions for their better albums?

Oh my god bro, you are missing out. These guys are fucking amazing.

muttonchop
04-01-2010, 07:56 AM
Oh my god bro, you are missing out. These guys are fucking amazing.
Okay, what album would you suggest then?

Abrahamm Lincoln
04-01-2010, 08:14 AM
I first heard their music on one of the Burnout games for the PS2 really enjoyed their music back then but haven't listened to them in awhile they must have some new stuff since way back then.

Natural Eraser
04-03-2010, 07:56 AM
I believe they have a new album coming out this year, dedicated to their drummer who died a couple of months ago. I hope it will be as good as their last one.

Buy the one named Avenged Sevenfold, that is (in my opinion) the best one, either that or City of Evil, but buy one first to see if you enjoy them.

doworkson176
04-03-2010, 10:36 AM
Okay, what album would you suggest then?

You should buy their self-titled album. It is my favorite one.

doworkson176
04-03-2010, 10:37 AM
I believe they have a new album coming out this year, dedicated to their drummer who died a couple of months ago.

That was a sad day when i found out that he died.

Grantly
04-03-2010, 03:38 PM

If you've never heard them I'd say City of Evil or their self titled album.

Cam-Dog
04-03-2010, 04:30 PM
They are kinda big around where I live but I really haven't listened to much of them.
I'll look into their self titled album.

doworkson176
04-03-2010, 04:35 PM
They are kinda big around where I live but I really haven't listened to much of them.
I'll look into their self titled album.

I highly recomend it. I love it a lot.

Grantly
04-03-2010, 05:13 PM
I think the biggest problem with Sevenfold is that each album has its own sound that's really different from the others, but most of the songs on the album sound the same. City of Evil and Waking the Fallen were especially bad about this, even using the same guitar riffs on several different songs. The self titled album doesn't have nearly the same amount of problems with that, but it still happens.

NuclearNinja
04-04-2010, 10:03 PM
Their drummer died :'(

Grantly
05-18-2010, 11:52 PM
Their new song Nightmare came out today, and I fucking love it. I like it better than every song on the last album (except for A Little Piece of Heaven). I'd definitely recommend giving it a listen.

Natural Eraser
05-19-2010, 08:00 AM
Their new song Nightmare came out today, and I fucking love it. I like it better than every song on the last album (except for A Little Piece of Heaven). I'd definitely recommend giving it a listen.

Yeah man, just bought it. It's good, maybe better then most of the stuff they have released. I hope the hole album will be like this, I don't really like the really hard stuff they have on City of Evil(?), but this was fucking good.
On a different note; I just bought the new Muse track as well, also very good.

ColbyTS
05-19-2010, 08:44 AM
Yeah man, just bought it. It's good, maybe better then most of the stuff they have released. I hope the hole album will be like this, I don't really like the really hard stuff they have on City of Evil(?), but this was fucking good.
On a different note; I just bought the new Muse track as well, also very good.

Avenged Sevenfold is totally awesome and I am a big fan, but I'm an even bigger Muse fan they are awesome. I dream of one day going to a Muse concert

Grantly
05-19-2010, 10:21 AM
I'll be seeing Sevenfold in August and Muse in November (and Shinedown is playing a show at the Iowa state fair which is like two hours away so I'll be seeing them) this year. It's gonna be a good year for concerts.

I can't wait for this album. July 27th can't get here soon enough.

Natural Eraser
05-19-2010, 11:48 AM
Avenged Sevenfold is totally awesome and I am a big fan, but I'm an even bigger Muse fan they are awesome. I dream of one day going to a Muse concert

Not to derail the thread, but check this out http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.channel&friendID=15049710&n=15049710 a full Muse concert from the Resistance in Seattle I believe.. I saw the same show back in August or something and that entrance is the most epic entrance ever! I`m going to see them again in July, both them and Arcade Fire, can't wait ;)

Grantly
05-19-2010, 10:45 PM
Not to derail the thread, but check this out http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.channel&friendID=15049710&n=15049710 a full Muse concert from the Resistance in Seattle I believe.. I saw the same show back in August or something and that entrance is the most epic entrance ever! I`m going to see them again in July, both them and Arcade Fire, can't wait ;)

I'll start a Muse thread so we can stay away from the derailment.

I'm freaking out like crazy about Uproar. The lineup is great.

ColbyTS
05-19-2010, 11:23 PM

GOOD GOD MAN, that place is packed

Grantly
07-26-2010, 11:10 PM
I just got done listening to the new A7X album, Nightmare, and it was amazing. It's without a doubt their best album yet, and I can't recommend it enough.

ColbyTS
07-26-2010, 11:25 PM
I haven't heard the whole album but Nightmare is a bad ass song

Natural Eraser
07-28-2010, 05:59 AM
I just got done listening to the new A7X album, Nightmare, and it was amazing. It's without a doubt their best album yet, and I can't recommend it enough.

I would probably put their self-named album above it. The new one is very good, I've listened to it quite a few times now, but there is something on the self-named that is missing, I can't put my finger on what... I still love the album, especially the songs Danger Line, Buried Alive and Fiction. A great tribute to Sullivan.

Gilarus
07-28-2010, 02:39 PM
I just got back from seeing them in Montreal. They had Mike Portnoy drumming and they put on one helluva show!

Natural Eraser
07-28-2010, 02:52 PM
I just got back from seeing them in Montreal. They had Mike Portnoy drumming and they put on one helluva show!

Cool! I've always wanted to see both Avenged Sevenfold and Mike Portnoy live, but never got the chance. The problem for me is that I don't like Dream Theater, but I really like the stuff Mike is doing with his drums. This would be the perfect opportunity to see both... too bad the tour doesn't include Norway or any of the countries near by. Damn...

Grantly
07-29-2010, 02:59 PM
I'm gonna be seeing them next month. It will be my first time seeing them, and I can't wait. I do wish I could have seen them while The Rev was still alive, but it will still be awesome to see Portnoy.