PDA

View Full Version : ZHP Unlosing Ranger vs. Darkdeath Evilman

blackcat0158
11-21-2010, 11:42 PM
I picked this up earlier this week, and have been having a blast. If you enjoy the humour and gameplay of the Disgaea series, and thought "man, if only it was a little more self-referential, zany, and had a smattering of Japanese hero cameos and RPG in-jokes", then look no further.

Anyone else on the ship snag this?

zMEqIzM843U

Cam-Dog
11-22-2010, 12:00 AM
Man if I was into the RPG type games and had a DS I would totally give this a shot it seems funny.

Edit: Oh dang its on PSP maybe I'll give it a shot.

blackcat0158
12-05-2010, 09:28 AM
After putting about 25 hours in, I've finally beaten the game. As such, I thought I'd share my thoughts on it.

I am nowhere close to having seen all that this game has to offer. I was a mid-range hero with a total level somewhere in the low 900s.
Sure that sounds like a lot, but I was forced to play super defensively by the end.

The main plot is that the Absolute Victory Unlosing Ranger is going to the final battle to save Super Baby and defeat Darkdeath Evilman. He gets hit by car, mortally wounding him and forcing him to pass his morphing belt on to the nearest person- you, making you go in his stead. The last boss kills you handily, and you wind up in Bizarro Earth- where all the real heroes come to train. This is where the game opens up and gives you the dungeons to delve into.

The humour in the game is fun and self-aware. If you've played a NIS game before, you know what to expect. Lots of crass jokes, and a requirement that you die a bunch of times to level up and get stronger.

You can unlock special dungeons wherein each has special rules such as adjacent enemies combine, rooms crumble after a set number of turns, or the stairs roam around the level. They also have a final boss character from some anime (My personal favourites were Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan, and Baccano).

Combat is straight-forward. Walk up to a dude, hit square. Every weapon has a unique special attack. Weapons can be combined at the blacksmith to give them multiple special attacks and properties.

If you die in a dungeon, you lose all the items cash and equipment on you (this can be counteracted with certain features added to your hero base), your stats and Total Level go up, and your character level is reset to 1.
When you complete a dungeon, your stats and Total Level go up, and your Character level resets to 1.

I was honestly surprised at how much care was put in to making this. The graphics aren't bad, the script is fun, and the entire game is fully voiced- and voiced well.

If you can find this for $20-30, and it seems to be in your wheelhouse, then I can't recommend it enough.