PDA

View Full Version : Is Pastor Jones a Terrorist?

Jitterbug
09-11-2010, 10:59 AM
If you haven't heard, a preacher has been threatening to burn copies of the Quran. Pastor Jones recently said that he was told by God not to burn them, but that this decision must be met with a decision by Muslims in New York to NOT build the planned Mosque (I hesitate to call it the GROUND ZERO MOSQUE because in order to call it that, it should reside somewhat close to Ground Zero, which it does not.) My question is, "Is Pastor Jones a terrorist?"

Is it fair to say that his acts, and then his demand for results based on his decision to alter those acts, qualifies as terrorism?

Deadpool
09-11-2010, 11:11 AM
In a traditional sense, no. I think he's a bigoted asshole with no regard for human emotion and what it really means to be a Christian, but he's not a terrorist. In terms of emotional attack, yes, but todays definition of terrorist doesn't fit his bill (IMO).

I guess I'm looking at is as more boom boom shoot kill kind of terrorism. He's leading a cult is what he's doing. This cult isn't causing physical harm but they're attacking emotional and religious barriers in "the name of god."

Well shit. Can I switch my vote please?

Jitterbug
09-11-2010, 11:18 AM
My position here is that he expected the response to his act to be violence - then he said that since he decided not to do it, he should get what he wants out of it. Think of this analogy: A guy stands above a pit with a bear in it. In the pit is also a group of men that are trying to calm the bear down. The guy standing at the top of the pit threatens to start throwing stones at the bear and everyone begs him not to. When he decides not to throw the stones he then says, "Well, since I didn't throw the stones I think you should do something for me." Kinda fucked up.

Matt_the_Hed
09-11-2010, 11:24 AM
I wouldn't call him a terrorist. I don't think he is causing terror as much as profiting from it and capitalizing on it.

He is doing what the terrorists have done in twisting religion, playing on people's fears and profoundly using symbols to ignite action against a group of people he has decided is his enemy.

In my book that sounds alot like Nazism.

The terrorist is the person who allows the leader who is twisting the truth to manipulate him/her to commit massively destructive acts that have no tactical value only end human life and strike fear into a society.

Again just my opinion.

I will tell you what he isn't though... A pastor.

Cam-Dog
09-11-2010, 02:33 PM
Yeah I wouldn't mind calling him a terrorist, the actions that he is intending to do could in many ways harm people both directly and indirectly so it could be considered an act of terrorism.

ColbyTS
09-11-2010, 06:11 PM
If there is one thing I can't stand its some cock sucker running around saying that god told him to do something so now he is doing it (much like terrorism) so yes in my opinion he is a much less violent terrorist.

Grantly
09-12-2010, 11:09 AM
In a technical sense, yes he's a terrorist. But I don't really see this as being terrorism, it's just a stupid bigot doing stupid shit.

aceshigh
10-18-2010, 09:05 AM
I think he was looking for 15 minutes of fame. Did anyone notice that the event was an "International Quran Burning"? Was he in correspondence with other churches around the world, planning this as a world wide event? Once the spotlight was on him he tried to save face by saying they wouldn't go through with the burning if the Mosque wasn't built near Ground Zero.

Abrahamm Lincoln
10-18-2010, 09:21 AM
Really he is a terrorist, if General Petraeus has to take time out of what I can only imagine is a busy schedule to call some asshole in Florida to tell him to knock that shit off cause he is indangering lives overseas he's a terrorist, and it wasn't god that told him to stop, it was the 100's of death threats that he received within the first week.