PDA

View Full Version : Should Bush Be Stripped?

Jitterbug
09-07-2010, 11:57 PM
If you haven't heard, Reggie Bush might get his Heisman Trophy stripped! This would be the first time this happened, and they're being pretty tight lipped about it at the moment, but the word is that he was "ineligible" for the award in 2005. If they take it away, then they will leave it vacant for that year. Anyone know more about this? What the hell are they accusing him of??

Cam-Dog
09-08-2010, 12:34 AM
I'm not to sure about why this is happening but I think it may be about USC giving him stuff to go to a certain NFL team.
After a google search In June, the NCAA ruled that Bush was ineligible to play for the Trojans because of illegal benefits and gifts he received from two fledgling sports marketers hoping to sign him. The men paid for everything from hotel stays and a rent-free home where Bush's family apparently lived to a limousine and a new suit when he accepted his Heisman in New York in December 2005.
http://www.boston.com/sports/blogs/thebuzz/2010/09/report_reggie_b.html?rss_id=Top+Stories
Sure what he did was messed up but don't take the trophy just fine him or something.
Onb the same note I think it is retarded that USC is banned from bowl games for a few years. Why punish new athletes for things that already happened?

Lokela
09-08-2010, 08:53 AM
Isn't it a little to late to take his trophy away? Also, when are these "sports marketers" going to learn how to cover up their "insperations" to the players?

ColbyTS
09-08-2010, 09:04 AM
Yeah while he was at USC he was just receiving like benefits for doing so good (which is illegal) I don't think its a huge issue but I think they are going to decide against stripping the trophy, they've been talking about it for awhile now.

Jitterbug
09-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Seems really goofy to me. Did people think this wasn't happening?! Yeah right. I think he is being used as a poster boy so that the other teams start to lay off this sort of thing, but come on - that shit goes on ALL THE TIME.

DouchBaggins
09-12-2010, 10:25 PM
I think it is a load of bullshit. Yes, I know I will receive a ton of responses from people who feel differently. and no, I am NOT anything near an expert on college football. Colleges shell out a ton of cash on coaches salaries who are to recruit the right people to take them to the bowl games, yet the colleges/college alumni are not to give any money or various gifts to the players to work that much harder. I, as many other's know how hard getting through college is, let alone having to be on your "A" game during practice and game day. Props to them! That must be hard as hell. None the less, I don't think it should be illegal to "bribe" an individual to play for a certain team, much less, against the rules. If they have the money/material object to shell out to get the team the upper hand towards a bowl game, I don't care. I enjoy college level football games just as much as a professional football game. So what if it limits so many other colleges on their possibilities of winning a bowl game. Most realistic people don't look for the college with the best football team who don't play football, they look for the best/better colleges in the field that they wish to pursue and make a career out of. Now, after this semi-drunken rant, I wish to say that the trophy should stay in Reggie Bush name.

Jitterbug
09-12-2010, 11:27 PM
I think it is a load of bullshit. Yes, I know I will receive a ton of responses from people who feel differently. and no, I am NOT anything near an expert on college football. Colleges shell out a ton of cash on coaches salaries who are to recruit the right people to take them to the bowl games, yet the colleges/college alumni are not to give any money or various gifts to the players to work that much harder. I, as many other's know how hard getting through college is, let alone having to be on your "A" game during practice and game day. Props to them! That must be hard as hell. None the less, I don't think it should be illegal to "bribe" an individual to play for a certain team, much less, against the rules. If they have the money/material object to shell out to get the team the upper hand towards a bowl game, I don't care. I enjoy college level football games just as much as a professional football game. So what if it limits so many other colleges on their possibilities of winning a bowl game. Most realistic people don't look for the college with the best football team who don't play football, they look for the best/better colleges in the field that they wish to pursue and make a career out of. Now, after this semi-drunken rant, I wish to say that the trophy should stay in Reggie Bush name.

Gotta disagree with your overall point here. While I think it would be overkill to strip the award, I don't think college players should be allowed to be bribed into signing with one school over another.

Cam-Dog
09-13-2010, 11:18 AM
Yeah Douch went a little to far but I do thing that collage athletes should at least have there housing and some minor other living costs payed for them by the school.

DouchBaggins
09-13-2010, 03:36 PM
You have to admit that the colleges do make a ton of money from various football related franchises, such as tickets, television and radio coverage, football clothing and apparel, and etc. You know that they get the scholarship money back ten fold, if not more. Why not share some of that wealth that the players bring them by getting them into the big ten, if not further? I don't believe it should be some ridiculous amount of money or bribes, just something a little more than what Cam Dog was saying.

Jitterbug
09-14-2010, 09:35 AM
You have to admit that the colleges do make a ton of money from various football related franchises, such as tickets, television and radio coverage, football clothing and apparel, and etc. You know that they get the scholarship money back ten fold, if not more. Why not share some of that wealth that the players bring them by getting them into the big ten, if not further? I don't believe it should be some ridiculous amount of money or bribes, just something a little more than what Cam Dog was saying.

They're already getting a great education for free. And most college football players do not go on to careers in the NFL but instead have to fall back on the degree they earned for free. This might not apply to Bush, who clearly has a great career ahead of him, but for the majority of the other players, they're getting off great.

Ala Douche
09-17-2010, 03:29 PM
Guys, the athletes playing are students. They're kids, and not professionals. Until they're professionals, they shouldn't get paid. Period. USC is notorious for doing this shit when they don't even need to. What A level athlete would turn down an offer from USC?

I think it's a shame that he's getting his trophy stripped, because none of that had anything to do with what he did on the field and the trophy he earned, but he fucked up. Doing shit you're not supposed to do yields consequences, and he's paying them now.

DavGxyz
10-14-2010, 07:38 AM
Very mis-leading topic heading I think! Came here to find a discussion about sport. Not one mention of 'Bush' anywhere! :rolleyes1: