PDA

View Full Version : Latest PS3 Terms and Conditions

DouchBaggins
07-10-2010, 01:53 PM
When I first got the PS3 the firmware was allowing me to play PS1 & PS2 Games, and now it doesn't. I shrugged that off without ease, but I still did.

Now I am reading the latest and they are having you agree to several new terms, one of which:
You agree that you will not use any unauthorized hardware, including peripherals not sold or licensed by a Sony company such as, by way of example only, non-licensed game enhancement devices, controllers, adaptors and power supply devices (collectively, “Non-Licensed Peripherals”) or software to access or use Sony Online Services or any content or service provided on or through Sony Online Services.

I am sure that everything I have currently is "Licensed", but I don't know why some of these electronic companies go to great extremes to cover everything in Terms and Conditions. Why would it matter if I don't use their "Licensed" devices? If I did have the programing and electronic know how, I would be most happy not to have to drop a minimum of $29.99 to play a for the most part, already overpriced game. Let's not forget about this new subscription system they are putting into effect.

Don't get me wrong, I do know that the odds of them actually checking on my hardware and software are similar to the lottery, but these agreements are getting out of hand.

Now on a side note, anyone know of any good board games? j/k.

Fisherman
07-10-2010, 02:46 PM
I guess the easiest answer is that you don't have much of a choice but to sign it if you want to use the PS3, and they have a vested interest in you paying the maximum amount of money to play their games. They feel like it won't impact your purchasing decisions, so they make a mandate. These days if I get a certain amount of entertainment out of a game, I don't feel like its overpriced even at $60.

Farva
07-10-2010, 06:07 PM
And a good board game is Settlers of Catan.

Lokela
07-11-2010, 04:25 PM
I think Sony is just covering their ass, by including that you will no use non-licensed "game enhancement devices" in the Terms and Conditions. You know, so if someone breaks something by using the non-licensed "game enhancement device" they can't blame Sony.

Kariz
07-11-2010, 05:10 PM
When I first got the PS3 the firmware was allowing me to play PS1 & PS2 Games, and now it doesn't. I shrugged that off without ease, but I still did.

Wait, so you can't play PS1 discs on your PS3? Because I can.

Nerves
07-11-2010, 05:23 PM
Damn straight! The Sett-el-ers of Cat-A-HAN! I actually wrote a jingle about that game and sing it everytime we play. Love that game. Carcasonne is also excellent.

DouchBaggins
07-12-2010, 12:19 PM
Wait, so you can't play PS1 discs on your PS3? Because I can.

Well, I got the cheap 40 GB version about 2 Christmas' ago, and at the time it cost $300, but also allowed me to play games, but from what I discovered, they changed that in one of the updates between then and now.

The Sett-el-ers of Cat-A-HAN!

Didn't you get that game as a wedding gift?

Deadpool
07-15-2010, 09:36 AM
I don't think they can change something like that with a software update. All PS3s have the ability to play PS1 games standard, but if you have one of the original systems with PS2 BC, then you should still have it. It's a hardware component inside of your PS3. Sony has the ability to disable it remotely as much as they have the to enable it without the component.

Nowadays, you HAVE to include everything in your ToS because people will sue you over ANYTHING. They're covering their asses and making money at the same time. I think Sony would rather you spend the dough you have on their first party peripherals instead of third party devices because they make money off of it. Of course, people are going to use third party devices anyway...this is just a counter measure for those people that would get mad if their system fucks up because of it. It's a motherly "don't do it, because something is going to happen, and we won't have any sympathy for you" inclusion. Check any ToS for anything ever. I'm sure there is some clause about using third party devices on the first party item.