PDA

View Full Version : Torchlight MMO in the works

Fisherman
06-30-2010, 10:48 AM
Do/Did you love Torchlight? Do you know it exists? It is basically a modern-era Diablo II, which can play on any kind of hardware. It is a great pickup and play experience that is easy to get into, rewarding in the Pavlovian sense (lots of bells and whistles and lights and explosions when you level up), and just plain fun. The only thing it's missing? Multiplayer. Well, apparently that shortcoming is about to be dealt with.

Runic, the developer of the game, talked with PC Gamer (and has an article coming in the next print mag) detailing the Torchlight MMO. It will be a free-to-play MMO and will run much like the product that is currently on the market, with some tweaks to party dynamics and skills that can benefit and chain with a party member's skills. Currently the game is single-player only and thus, there is no party-combo system or anything of the like. Before you worry about this one being a free-to-play that goes into microtransaction hell, consider this quote from the company's president, Travis Baldree:

“I will never, ever buy a microtransaction item. I’m that kind of player. And the game has to be enjoyable for me, too. We don’t want our monetisation stuff to offer ways to skip the game because the game is boring.”

For free? Count me in. Who wants to raid with The Fisherman?

Source: PC Gamer (http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/06/29/torchlight-mmo-details-in-the-new-pc-gamer/)

Lokela
06-30-2010, 03:34 PM
Raiding and looting for free???!!! Count me in as well! Thanks for the heads up on this, fishguy!