PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Exclusive: Hulu Plus

Fisherman
06-30-2010, 10:31 AM
As discussed on tomorrow's episode of the GameLounge, a new Hulu service is on the horizon, called Hulu Plus. It will have full seasons of all the shows currently on Hulu and multiple past seasons, too. It will still run ads and cost $10/month. Why would you pay $10/month for something that's barely better than the free service you get on Hulu now?

Well my friends, Hulu is banking on versions that extend beyond the computer screen for that. In July, why Hulu Plus officially launches, it will launch with support for the PS3, the iPad, and the iPhone. Here's the kicker: it won't launch with support for 360. That won't happen until 2011.

How big a win do you think this is for Sony? Are you going to be interested in the new service?

If you're interested, toss your name in the hat for the Hulu Plus Preview Service here (http://www.hulu.com/plus). I put mine in and haven't heard back yet, but I would imagine it is much like the OnLive Founding Members program where it's free at least until the real service launches. No harm in that.

UPDATE: Just saw that Hulu Plus for the PSN will require PSN Plus to operate, much like Netflix requires 360's Gold service. This could be a huge stumbling block for potential new subscribers, not sure it's gonna matter all that much to me.

Jitterbug
06-30-2010, 03:39 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about this as of now. I don't even know if I would pay for it if I WAS planning on getting PSN+, which is still in debate for me. They need to wow me with something before I'll pay for it.

Cam-Dog
06-30-2010, 04:53 PM
If it was just me living alone I would just get Hulu Plus and Netflix, thats all the TV I need, not counting sports.
But I will not be getting this from what I have seen so far.

djdsf
07-01-2010, 09:29 AM
Gonna move this to the Multiplatform forum and change the title because they announced that Hulu will be coming to the 360 as well, so is not a PS3 exclusive.

El Mariachi
07-02-2010, 06:27 PM
I think the only plus is watching the stuff on the pod touch/iphone, since netflix has pretty much pwned the rental service. But it is a wait and see.

Farva
07-02-2010, 07:37 PM
And there goes all the love I gave Sony on the exclusive Hulu deal.

Fisherman
07-02-2010, 07:42 PM
I think the only plus is watching the stuff on the pod touch/iphone, since netflix has pretty much pwned the rental service. But it is a wait and see.

Yeah, the iPad support will be pretty sweet. I love watching Netflix on the iPad and if its anything like that, it'll be a slam dunk.

And there goes all the love I gave Sony on the exclusive Hulu deal.

Because of the PSN+ requirement? I agree it seems punitive for no good reason, but is it that much different than Microsoft requiring XBL Gold to run Netflix streaming?

Cam-Dog
07-06-2010, 06:11 PM
Rumor smashed.
With the launch of Hulu Plus there have been many rumors started and we are trying our best to remedy the situation. Specifically to your question, the Playstation Plus service is only a requirement during the preview period.

Once the preview period ends you should be able to download the Hulu Plus app but that will still require the Hulu Plus subscription.

Right now we are limiting the number of users but Hulu Plus will be launching to the public very soon so stay tuned!
PS+ isn't needed to get Hulu Plus.

InstantKarma
07-06-2010, 06:23 PM
Well, I'd get a Hulu Plus and Id pay absolutely anything, if they just made it so Hulu wasn't fucking region locked. Christ.

Fisherman
07-06-2010, 10:23 PM
Rumor smashed.

PS+ isn't needed to get Hulu Plus.

So it turns out! I mentioned it on the podcast we just recorded. PSN+ is required for the preview event, but not the service.

Farva
07-07-2010, 02:16 AM
When does it officially come online?

Kariz
07-11-2010, 05:26 PM
When does it officially come online?

Early 2011, no official date yet.

Fisherman
07-11-2010, 07:08 PM
Early 2011, no official date yet.

Hulu Plus actually comes online sometime this month. 360 support doesn't start until early 2011.

Kariz
07-11-2010, 10:40 PM
Hulu Plus actually comes online sometime this month. 360 support doesn't start until early 2011.

My bad, is that the paid or the beta type thing coming out this month?

TheStonedSheep
07-12-2010, 02:43 AM
Damn, wish I lived in the US. This deal sounds sweet compared to paying for satellite TV.

Fisherman
07-12-2010, 03:22 PM
My bad, is that the paid or the beta type thing coming out this month?

Should be the paid one, the beta is already running and they're trickling people into it.

Deadpool
07-16-2010, 09:20 PM
The deal breaker for me was the ads. I'm paying $10 a month to support your site and you still make me watch ads? Nuh-uh. That's dumb. If I want ads, I can pay $0 and just use the basic service.

Speaking of. Is the basic service available on PS3, or is it just Hulu+ on PS3 and the basic is only online?

Damn, wish I lived in the US. This deal sounds sweet compared to paying for satellite TV.
They don't have every show on TV though. They only have a few of the major networks (NBC, ABC, CBS I think. Not sure about Fox). And a couple basic cable networks. USA comes to mind first. Every other show they have on there whose network hasn't agreed to full shows only have short clips and a link to a site where they can watch full shows. It'll only be a truly viable replacement for satellite/cable when they get universal network participation...which won't ever happen, but it's the dream (and is when I'll actually pay for it).

Fisherman
07-16-2010, 09:41 PM
I don't think the ads immediately kill it for me. I pay for XBL and there are ads on there, and a better comparison is that I pay for cable and they have a shit-ton of ads. I'm still not in the early access yet, but if I get in I'll let you guys know what I think.

Deadpool
07-16-2010, 10:28 PM
It is for me. I mean...cable and online streaming are two different animals at the end of the day (EDIT: and the XBL dashboard is an alien life form) . I pay for Netflix, but I don't get any ads on the TV shows I stream.

Cam-Dog
07-16-2010, 10:58 PM
I would think about getting Hulu Plus if they got FX, Comedy Central, and the History Channels(So I could watch Pawn Stars and American Pickers).