PDA

View Full Version : OnLive Founding Members - Free for a year

Fisherman
06-19-2010, 04:45 PM
I'll be spilling the beans in detail about OnLive on the next GameLounge, but you should know that the offer they extended to the beta testers (one year for free) has now been extended to "founding members". Looks like founding members is anyone that signs up now, but I'm not sure how long it will run. Give it a shot, you can play demos and stuff for free, so there's no reason not to give the service a try. Link to sign up is below:

OnLive Founding Members (http://www.onlive.com/signup)

DEL
06-22-2010, 09:45 AM
Thanks for this, signed up.

ColbyTS
06-22-2010, 01:01 PM
I signed up but still not entirely sure on what it is. So what is it? Do you have to have the games on the PC?

Cam-Dog
06-22-2010, 02:05 PM
I signed up but still not entirely sure on what it is. So what is it? Do you have to have the games on the PC?
Its a little box thing with a controller that streams games over the internets right to you. Like Netflix for games.

Fisherman
06-22-2010, 03:33 PM
Its a little box thing with a controller that streams games over the internets right to you. Like Netflix for games.

Actually the founding members thing is just a computer program. I'll be going in-depth about it in the next GameLounge, but its basically remote desktop with a super-powered gaming rig with little to no lag.

djdsf
06-25-2010, 02:37 PM
I got picked for it!

Got my E-mail about it today so I get 1 free year YAY Thanks fish.

DEL
06-25-2010, 09:50 PM
I got picked too, thanks!

Jordan the hobo
06-29-2010, 02:52 PM
Everyone got it but watch out cause after a year it will automatically charge the credit card you are useing so remember to cancel before the year is up or pay the subscription fee

Fisherman
06-29-2010, 08:03 PM
Good point Jordan. Unless you really get into it, I guess. But I'm starting to get pretty meh on the whole thing.

djdsf
07-01-2010, 02:31 PM
even then, is $4 for every month for a year after that, so is somewhat like XBL. Which I would much rather give my $ to Onlive than PS+

Fisherman
07-01-2010, 06:25 PM
even then, is $4 for every month for a year after that, so is somewhat like XBL. Which I would much rather give my $ to Onlive than PS+

It's $5/month per year and that's if you're a Founding Member. If you're not its $15. Even so, $5 x 12 months is $60, and I'll be damned before I pay $60 for a year of XBL. If its one or the other for me, its definitely XBL. But luckily for me, its not one or the other. I'll probably pick 2 of the 3 though, so either this or PSN+ ....... not sure yet.

One note, if you're a Founding Member (or a member of any type at all, I'd imagine), all games and rentals this week are 30% off. Check your email for the coupon code, because its probably unique to your account.

Cam-Dog
07-02-2010, 06:26 PM
I got my invite and signed up. While launching the Onlive app it warned me that my connection wasn't that stable, which isn't old new my connection only clocks in at an average of 5mbps which is also the minimum requirement to us Onlive.
So after I got it launched every 10 seconds or so the frame rate would drop making everything look 8bit and pixelated. I did manage to get into a game of World of Goo and played for about 5 minutes till I got disconnected due to my shitty connection.
No big deal though its not Onlive's fault just my lame internet. From what I did see though the interface looked cool and easy to use. There was a bit of lag but that may just be my fault.
Oh and did I mention I was running it on my cheap Compaq laptop? This thing is far from being a gaming machine.

Fisherman
07-02-2010, 07:06 PM
I got my invite and signed up. While launching the Onlive app it warned me that my connection wasn't that stable, which isn't old new my connection only clocks in at an average of 5mbps which is also the minimum requirement to us Onlive.
So after I got it launched every 10 seconds or so the frame rate would drop making everything look 8bit and pixelated. I did manage to get into a game of World of Goo and played for about 5 minutes till I got disconnected due to my shitty connection.
No big deal though its not Onlive's fault just my lame internet. From what I did see though the interface looked cool and easy to use. There was a bit of lag but that may just be my fault.
Oh and did I mention I was running it on my cheap Compaq laptop? This thing is far from being a gaming machine.

Yeah you're likely to do pretty well on OnLive with a better internet connection. Try it with the 360 controller you're borrowing too, that pretty much eliminates the lag factor.

Cam-Dog
07-02-2010, 09:48 PM
Yeah you're likely to do pretty well on OnLive with a better internet connection. Try it with the 360 controller you're borrowing too, that pretty much eliminates the lag factor.

I'll do that.
I need to call my ISP too because I pay for a 15mbps connection and I'm not even getting a half of that!

Brandonpop
07-09-2010, 10:11 PM
Sorry for being a noob but this service is only available in the US of A right?

Jitterbug
07-09-2010, 11:51 PM
Sorry for being a noob but this service is only available in the US of A right?

I believe so, although by most accounts it doesn't seem like you're missing out on a hell of a lot. Most people are pretty underwhelmed at this point.

djdsf
07-11-2010, 02:05 AM
I believe so, although by most accounts it doesn't seem like you're missing out on a hell of a lot. Most people are pretty underwhelmed at this point.

people are bitching because of something retarded, they bitch because they have to pay to get on the service and then pay for the games, is the same shit XBL and what others do you pay to get the XBL service but you do not get any games out of it, just the connectivity and then you have to pay for the game, is just that people are complaining because they are getting hit by so many purchases that they just see the sign of $ and not the value of the product.

Fisherman
07-11-2010, 02:46 AM
people are bitching because of something retarded, they bitch because they have to pay to get on the service and then pay for the games, is the same shit XBL and what others do you pay to get the XBL service but you do not get any games out of it, just the connectivity and then you have to pay for the game, is just that people are complaining because they are getting hit by so many purchases that they just see the sign of $ and not the value of the product.

I think the main difference is that you can get the same games from OnLive through other means that don't require a subscription (Steam for example). Many XBL releases are only on XBL. And I might be wrong about this, but can't you buy XBLA games without a Gold subscription? That would seem like an unbelievably stupid move to cut Silver subscribers out of the market.

DavGxyz
07-14-2010, 12:01 PM
No fu*king good to me all this onlive stuff. Being based in the UK suck the preverbial 'bell-end'.!