PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Ska Bands

Natural Eraser
06-18-2010, 05:13 PM
OK, time for another one of these... So what is your top five ska bands?

Streelight Manifesto
The Specials
Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Sublime (maybe more reggae?)
Operation Ivy

Jitterbug
06-18-2010, 05:23 PM
Oh lord have mercy. This is a tough one. I am going to give you five, but they are in NO PARTICULAR order.

- Desmond Dekker
- Streetlight Manifesto (or Catch 22's Keasby Nights)
- Hepcat
- Mighty Mighty Bosstones
- The Specials

Natural Eraser
06-18-2010, 05:42 PM
Oh lord have mercy. This is a tough one. I am going to give you five, but they are in NO PARTICULAR order.

- Desmond Dekker
- Streetlight Manifesto (or Catch 22's Keasby Nights)
- Hepcat
- Mighty Mighty Bosstones
- The Specials

Fuck, forgot about Hepcat.... They have to be in my top five.... who should I replace? Shit... I have to replace Op. Ivy even though I love them.

By the way, I heard Streelight Manifestos Keasby Nights first and got really into all their other albums and then I heard on the show it was a "cover" of Catch 22, so checked them out, I got to say; Streetlight Manifesto is a lot better then Catch 22.

daCooksta
06-18-2010, 07:00 PM
Five iron frenzyyy

Cam-Dog
06-19-2010, 03:02 PM
Nice I've been meaning to look up some good ska bands thanks duuudes.

m-m-m
06-27-2010, 01:36 AM
Sooo hard to pick ....

Here's 5 ska bands that I really like ... I can't commit to putting them all in my top 5

Skankin' Pickle
Hepcat
Operation Ivy
Bosstones
Aggrolites

there's so many bands that play some ska, but aren't full-time ska bands too

Goldfinger's first two albums had a ton of ska, but they kind of moved away from it as the '90s came to an end. Less Than Jake started out playing mostly ska-core but lately what they play is more like punk with a trombone playing the melody lines. Mad Caddies are pretty cool. Blue Meanies get labeled ska a lot, but I don't really see 'em that way.

melinawaugh
07-19-2010, 04:03 AM
Mine favourites are:

Sublime
NOFX
Dead Kennedys
Streetlight Manifesto
Mad Caddies...

Natural Eraser
08-18-2010, 08:25 AM
Mine favourites are:

Sublime
NOFX
Dead Kennedys
Streetlight Manifesto
Mad Caddies...

Did this guy get banned because he said NoFX and Dead Kennedys were ska bands? I don't mean to be a dick to anyone, but if you look me in the eyes and says that Dead Kennedys is a ska band I would punch you in the nose.

Cam-Dog
08-18-2010, 08:06 PM
I don't know if that was the reason but it sure could have been.

ColbyTS
08-19-2010, 12:09 AM
Did this guy get banned because he said NoFX and Dead Kennedys were ska bands? I don't mean to be a dick to anyone, but if you look me in the eyes and says that Dead Kennedys is a ska band I would punch you in the nose.

Maybe he is just musically uneducated like me, cause I have never even listened to the Dead Kennedys, not to mention I hadn't heard of The Killers until this show

Natural Eraser
08-19-2010, 10:20 AM
Maybe he is just musically uneducated like me, cause I have never even listened to the Dead Kennedys, not to mention I hadn't heard of The Killers until this show

But since you have never listened to Dead Kennedys you wouldn't post them as a ska band, since you would not know what kind of a band they were, again I'm not trying to be a douchbag to this guy and I'm not saying that you need be all knowing about music to post something, that would make me a hypocrite ;).
By the way as a huge music fan I think that it's great that this show actually make people more interested in music.

ColbyTS
08-19-2010, 11:00 AM
But since you have never listened to Dead Kennedys you wouldn't post them as a ska band, since you would not know what kind of a band they were, again I'm not trying to be a douchbag to this guy and I'm not saying that you need be all knowing about music to post something, that would make me a hypocrite ;).
By the way as a huge music fan I think that it's great that this show actually make people more interested in music.

Man I listen to the old episodes and look up like 90% of the bands mentioned.