PDA

View Full Version : So what if I never liked Star Wars.

El Mariachi
06-16-2010, 04:07 PM
Seriously. I get so much shit on film school for not liking it. I tried watching the first hour and I literally fell asleep on my chair. I get confused with the whole time;line-chracters. And such.

Jitterbug
06-16-2010, 04:51 PM
Are you talking about Episode 4?

That movie is a classic and still stands as one of my favorite movies of all time, trailing just behind Empire Strikes Back. Now... If you're talking about Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace, then I can't blame you. It is crap.

Lokela
06-16-2010, 06:25 PM
Yeah, what Jitterboobs said. If it was Episode IV that you didn't like, well....then I'm afraid that there isn't any hope for you to like Star Wars. Not even with Obi-Wan.

ColbyTS
06-16-2010, 08:31 PM
Seriously. I get so much shit on film school for not liking it. I tried watching the first hour and I literally fell asleep on my chair. I get confused with the whole time;line-chracters. And such.

Wait did you say you're in film school?

Nerves
06-16-2010, 09:33 PM
WTF?! The force is not with this one.

Jordan the hobo
06-18-2010, 08:50 PM
Iv never really liked any of them all that much. I don't hate them im just indifferent. Although they have kinda ingrained in our culture so much you almost have to enjoy them.

Also why the desperado sig that says el mariachi. You have your sequels mixed up. Great movies tho

ColbyTS
06-18-2010, 11:16 PM
Iv never really liked any of them all that much. I don't hate them im just indifferent. Although they have kinda ingrained in our culture so much you almost have to enjoy them.

Also why the desperado sig that says el mariachi. You have your sequels mixed up. Great movies tho

Correct me if I am mistaken but I'm pretty sure that Antonio Banderas was El Mariachi in Desperado as well as Once upon a time in Mexico. But it could just be me...

Farva
06-19-2010, 06:51 AM

I look at Star Wars much like I looked at The Lord of the Rings as far as what it did for the genre. The Lord of the Rings gave us Elves, Wizards (robes and pointy hats), Orcs, Hobbits and other creatures and themes that have become a staple in the fantasy universe. Star Wars did much of the same for the Sci-Fi genre. It's a space opera that is rooted in a deep interwoven story line. The first film (Episode IV) is a little slow to start, as it's laying the basis of the universe and the rules that define it. I'm sure, even if you've never seen them, that you're familiar with "The Force", "Darth Vader", "Chewbacca" and other staples of the universe. For most of us, the first time we saw these films was the first time we were introduced to these concepts and characters. For someone who's familiar with these, the set up and explanation of these concepts could be seen as slow and boring. I recommend setting an afternoon aside (after a nap of course) and relaxing with a friend and a good beer, and enjoy the original trilogy (Episodes IV - VI). I think you'll find that the story will draw you in. It won't blow your mind, but if you consider that most people who love these films watched these as kids, and that this was the original story that many films have borrowed or based their ideas on, I think you'll find that you'll enjoy it more than you think.

Wait did you say you're in film school?

You'll have to do a little digging on the front page, but El Mariachi posted one of his first short films on the front page of site a few months back. It's pretty good and worth a view.

Correct me if I am mistaken but I'm pretty sure that Antonio Banderas was El Mariachi in Desperado as well as Once upon a time in Mexico. But it could just be me...

He was, but here is where you need to be corrected. Desperado and Once Upon a Time in Mexico were both sequels to a spanish film called...."El Mariachi". That character was not played by Antonio Banderas. He's not wrong in choosing that as his avatar as the character was known as "El Mariachi", although the actor did not play the original El Mariachi. (Technically, Antonio Banderas' character had an actual name as he was called it by his older brother in Desperado at the end of the film.)

ColbyTS
06-19-2010, 05:29 PM
I didn't want to quote your gigantic awesome post, but oh I did not know that Desperado was indeed a sequel. Thanks for the heads up and I will get searching for that first film of his

Lokela
06-19-2010, 05:38 PM
The original El Mariachi isn't really all that great. It's good, but not great. Desperado isn't a squal, but more of a redo of sorts.

El Mariachi
07-01-2010, 11:39 PM
The original El Mariachi is the grand daddy of the independent scene. It put Robert Rodriguez on the spotlight and gave film festivals the whole hype of this days.

Farva
07-02-2010, 07:54 PM
Also our El Mariachi also fucks Melanie Griffith.