PDA

View Full Version : Will the Playstation Move and Microsoft's Project Natal kill the Wii?

Jitterbug
03-26-2010, 01:57 PM
With Sony releasing a Wii copycat, and Microsoft coming out with Project Natal - are we in the final days of the Wii? Once these two things come out, will there still be such a demand for another Mario Party game that the Wii will be able to survive?

Personally, I think Nintendo is going to need to come up with something quick to stop the damage that might be headed their way. What do you guys think?

Farva
03-26-2010, 04:30 PM
I don't think it'll do near the damage people are thinking it will. I don't know of a single person that plays the Wii exclusively and would still be considered a "Hardcore Gamer". I have a Wii, but it is almost never used. I play my Xbox 360 and PS3 almost exclusively. I was looking to trade in my Wii about a year ago, when my wife pointed out that our daughter (then three) was soon approaching the age where Wii Sports would be perfect for her.

Through that experience, and the lack of Third party games like Madworld and No More Heroes selling well, leads me to think that many of the Wii units being sold are for family-friendly games, the elderly and for the kids. The advent of PS Move and Project Natal are interesting, but are oranges being compared to apples. They're both fruit, but the similarities stop there. Project natal is attempting to be a completely controller-free experience. I think the people at microsoft looked at star-trek and said "why not?" The PS Move will be aimed at those who already own a PS3 and are expecting higher qualitiy games. With the power behind the system alone, the PS Move wil blow the Wii away.

I think the Wii wll continue to do what it's doing. Marketing to families, helping the elderly get mobile in the safety of their homes and help fathers bond with their daughters.

Fisherman
03-26-2010, 05:04 PM
I don't think Nintendo has anything to worry about, and frankly both Move and Natal seem somewhat ill-conceived. What Microsoft and Sony aren't realizing is that motion control came bundled with something in the Wii, and I'm not talking about Wii Sports. I'm talking about the pristine Wii brand that actually sells video games to non-video gamers. Until Microsoft and Sony can come up with something that does that, they could create the greatest piece of gaming tech in existence and it wouldn't touch the Wii's market. Nintendo doesn't rely on "our types" to make their money anyway.

Regardless, this:

CgoCKKAEDmI

is fantastic.