PDA

View Full Version : Evil Genius

Jitterbug
05-19-2010, 06:33 PM
On Episode # 86 of Talkingship, I talked about a game called Evil Genius on the PC. I thought I'd throw up a thread in here to answer any questions about this awesome game.
http://wpcontent.answers.com/wikipedia/en/a/a9/Evil_Genius_Coverart.png

There were a few of these games coming out in the early 2000's, and I thought it was going to become a new genre, but I haven't seen many of them as of late. The premise of these types of games is that you are in charge of building a lair, and bad guys (or good guys, depending on the game) keep trying to break into your lair. In some of them (Dungeon Keeper) this comprises the entire game, and your job is to build traps to stop the invaders - think of a tower defense game with traps and where you design the track.

Evil Genius took this basic premise and built upon it. Instead of simply creating a base for a never-ending cavalcade of attackers to try and make their way through, you are an Evil Mastermind intent upon either ruling the world or destroying it. You must build a base that can house your minions as well as stopping your enemies from discovering your evil deeds. This means that you have to build a lunchroom, barracks, staff rooms, training rooms, etc etc. You can get basic henchmen over time, or pay for more to show up quickly, but then you need to train these henchmen to become better able to help your grand designs.

http://images.pcworld.com/reviews/graphics/117919-c_092404_evilgenius1-large.jpg

You will need to send your minions out into the world to try and get you money, as well as complete your evil tasks (like shrinking the Eiffel Tower to steal it) all while you build your master plan. However, the more evil your deeds, the more attention you're going to get from the world's super powers - which means you are going to get the attention of the Super Agents, James Bond type characters that will come to your island to wreak havoc.

Even though this game is 7 years old at this point, there is no better example of this mini-genre of games then this one. I highly recommend it. And for $9.99 on Steam, it is a deal that you shouldn't pass up.

http://images.1888freeonlinegames.com/download-games/evil-genius/evil-genius-game.jpg

SECRET TIP - There is a great money cheat that I recommend taking advantage of. At the very beginning of the game you will go through a series of mini-trainings that are designed to slowly teach you how to play the game. The first time you play the game, you should play it like normal so that you can learn what you need to do in the game. At least make it to the second island before you start over and utilize this cheat.

After completing the first few tasks, you will be told that there is a Maid wandering around your island that you need to capture. Don't do it. At this point you will have access to the World Domination screen, which will allow you to send your minions into the world to steal cash. Send them out there, and start making a ridiculous amount of cash quickly. Then build enough barracks to accommodate 100 minions. Spend the cash ($4000 a second) to get your 100 minions, then build a very large stronghold deep in your base to store the stacks of gold you are about to make. Next, go into the options and turn off your Video Trainings to stop the game from auto-pausing to teach you how to play the game randomly during your game time. Then go to sleep. Leave the game running, and when you wake up the next morning you will be a billionaire. Congrats, you will never need money again!

blackcat0158
05-20-2010, 04:15 PM
Oh shit! I forgot all about this game. I picked it up for $3 along with Freedom Force Vs. The Third Reich at some liquidation store on boxing day a few years back.

This game IS goddamn amazing. Listen to Captain Jitterbug and pick this up.

Fisherman
05-20-2010, 05:49 PM
Actually this genre has recently had some pretty well-touted entries. Namely:

What Did I Do To Deserve This, My Lord?? (http://www.giantbomb.com/what-did-i-do-to-deserve-this-my-lord/61-24119/)

and

What Did I Do To Deserve This, My Lord!? 2 (http://www.giantbomb.com/what-did-i-do-to-deserve-this-my-lord-2/61-24120/)

Unfortunately for gamers like us, these are PSN-exclusive PSP games. The essential premise is that you dig your villain a lair in a gameplay mechanic not dissimilar to Dig Dug, uncovering resources and monsters along the way, in a place where the heroes can't get to him. I've never played the game but there is a pretty vast ecosystem involving your monsters at play here, and it almost crosses the barrier into tower-defense territory. Always heard good things about these games, but I've never played them myself.

A funny side note, though, the original game in the series was originally titled "Holy Invasion of Privacy, Badman! What did I do to Deserve This?" but the developer was sued by Warner Brothers as it was too close to something Robin would say, which was obviously the intent, and they had to change the name.

As for the write-up, Jitterbug, you sold me on the game. I'm gonna give it a whirl when I get through some of the backlog I've built up. Lord knows it will be there when I'm ready for it. Maybe around Extra Life this year ...

Ognawk
05-25-2010, 03:09 PM
I bought that game off Steam a while back. Great fun, if a bit buggy. :wub:

SaucedDave
06-09-2010, 04:12 AM
Evil Genius is quite easily one of my favourite PC games of all time, it has so much going for it, and I will probably have to give it another whirl pretty soon!

DEL
06-09-2010, 08:28 AM
Damn I had a blast with this game a few years ago. It is like evil version of that movie sim game. It is on steam now, schweet, hope my laptop can run it.