PDA

View Full Version : Comic books are for kids right?

DavGxyz
05-19-2010, 11:35 AM
Right first off. Let me explain where this is going before I get booted out of here. :confused1:

Having listened to the podcast and browsed this forum, it become apparent that there is much love for comics in these parts. It seems like most Americans either like or know people who like comics. Whereas I know absolutely no-one that does. And I personally couldn't name one comic published in the UK.

Do you comic lovers feel that the US has a special affinity for the comic? What make the comic an acceptable read for adults? Can someone point out why they love comics and why I should give them a try?

Come on. Sell them to me, cos i fear I may be missing out. :frown1:

Jitterbug
05-19-2010, 12:17 PM
The American comic market is paltry compared to the Japanese market. They read comics as much as books out there.

But what it really comes down to is storytelling. It used to be that good stories were found mainly in books. As pop culture began to create new ways of telling a story, we saw rise of many other mediums - movies, magazines, television, etc. In the maelstrom of new media, comics arose as an outlet for the reallylllllyllyly weird stuff. It started as something that was not necessarily geared towards kids, but as an outlet for the super weird. But soon, super hero stories took hold, and the industry ran with it. For a long time, the stories were fairly generic and everyone copied off of each other, but the medium provided an outlet for stories that would be accepted in no other medium, and that genre flourished.

In the 70's and 80's, the first generation of kids that grew up reading comics became adults, and suddenly the genre that was formerly "Just For Kids" was being fondly remembered by adults. This ushered in a large group of writers and artists that decided that comics were what they wanted to do with their life, but they wanted to make comics that adults could enjoy as well. This lead to much more complex storylines and characters.

Today, the rest of the media has finally taken notice of what those genius storytellers were doing back in the 70's and beyond. That's why you are seeing an ass load of movies based on comics. It's because that is where the originality is. These artists and writers were doing things that NO ONE ELSE in the world was doing, and they were great at it.

Currently, comics are experiencing a bit of a renaissance. In the 90's, when Hollywood first started to take notice of comics and started to put money into the industry, we saw a glut of shit pour out of the major studios. It was a bad time for comics. But now, the industry has turned around and is back to putting out some of the most thought provoking material in entertainment.

There. That's why you should care. Go pick up a copy of Y The Last Man to see why comics are awesome.

Fisherman
05-19-2010, 12:26 PM
I think the comic market can be compared easily with the video game market. You wouldn't say video games are for kids, right? But there are games that are made for kids. Essentially around the time of the home console renaissance, most games were targetted at kids. But as the people that got hooked on those games as kids grew up, so too did the games. I got hooked on comics as a kid and went away for a while. When I (recently) came back to them, I found that they'd done the same thing.

The biggest American gaming market is guys between 25 and 40, and I would imagine so too is the American comic market. Besides, with all the entertainment choices out there, I would imagine its tough to get a kid's attention as a comic book these days. You know what they say about the cost of acquiring a new customer versus the cost of retaining an old one.

While there are comics out there made for kids, many writers, artists, and brands realized that their fans grew up and started writing and creating for the super-mushroomed versions of their old customers. There are certain artists and writers that only delve into the post-adolescent comic arena, like Brian K. Vaughn.

Quinstar
05-19-2010, 12:28 PM
I was going to say that the pictures were cool, but I think that JB and Fisherman put it a bit more eloquently, so I'm going to second what they said.

Lokela
05-19-2010, 12:37 PM
Well I would say comics are as much for kids as coloring(colouring) books are. ........What's that? Adults don't like coloring books?? So I'm all alone on that boat, huh?

Anywho, I also second JB and Fishey's posts.

DavGxyz
05-22-2010, 08:56 AM
Right. I suppose I will have to get started on comics then. :smile1: If I don't have a look I'll never know. Wonder if I can get any of the ones you have mentioned over in good old Blighy!