PDA

View Full Version : PSN Premium at E3?

Cam-Dog
05-17-2010, 05:15 PM
Oh please let it happen! I know I'd be getting it heck with all that free stuff I'd be saving money by getting the Premium Service.
VG247 has learnt that Sony is to reveal plans for PSN’s premium services at E3.According to a highly-placed source, Sony will announce a large-scale monetizing scheme for PSN at the LA show, but we’re assured nothing planned will impact the service’s current free aspects.

A string of features will be revealed, apparently costing “less than £50 per year”.Sony will confirm plans to give all subscribers one free PSN game per month, from a choice of “two to four” every month.“If you work it out, PSN games cost an average of £6-9 each, so over a year you’re basically going to be breaking even,” said our source.

A streaming music application similar to Spotify will be announced in Sony’s press conference on June 15. It’s thought that this can run in the background while playing games.

Rumours that cross-game voice chat is being saved as a paid feature are apparently not true, we were told.“I can tell you now, 100 percent, that that’s not the case,” our man continued.“There’s nothing in the premium package which will gimp regular PSN users.”

The PSN premium services announcement is thought to be a major part of Sony’s E3 conference, which will also heavily feature Move.It’s thought that a PSP2 announcement, for this reason, is unlikely, and will be saved for either gamescom or TGS later this year. Get more detail on that here.

Here is more possible info on what would be included.
The actual subscription costs flung around ranged from $20 to $60 a year, or alternatively $6 to $9 a month, and while some features might sound familiar to Xbox Live members, there's plenty of innovative stuff here that we wouldn't mind seeing pop up on either platform, including:
Customer Service Priority Access
Exclusive Experiences with Sony Brands
Extended Console Warranty 3 Years
Access to Beta Games
Early Access to All Store Content
Member Demo Sharing of Full Game
Cross-game Voice Chat Access
Full Title Trial - 1st Hour Is Free
Token Wagering
User-to-user Challenges
Free Access to PSOne Classics, PSP Minis, and PS3/PSP Themes
Discounts on Store Content
Member Only In-game Content
Trophy Alerts
Cloud Storage Space for Games
Online Music Service
Online Music Video Service
Automatic Downloads and Updates
Loyalty Program Rewards
Facebook Connectivity
Catch-up TV
Netflix Access Without Disc
What a mouthful! There are definitions of all these after the break, and while the survey seems to imply that not all of these would be available in whatever paid service Sony launches, we could imagine quite a few PS3 users (ourselves, for instance) shelling out cash for some of the perks listed -- as long as they can swallow their Xbox Live Gold-deriding pride.

Customer Service Priority Access
Priority access to PlayStation's customer service both online and via phone should you need technical help or have questions about your products. This feature gives you support with little to no waiting.

Exclusive Experiences with Sony Brands
Get member-only access to attend exclusive Sony events and experiences throughout the year, including those offered by PlayStation, Sony Pictures, and Sony Music.

Extended Console Warranty 3 Years
Get your PS3 warranty extended to 3 years as part of your overall subscription (requires you to keep your subscription active). The standard warranty on your PS3 is 1 year.

Access to Beta Games
Get access to Betas of popular games not yet released at retail (Betas offer bigger experiences than typical game demos). You will have the ability to play these games before others do.

Early Access to All Store Content
Get early access to select free and purchasable game related content on the PlayStation Store before it's available to everyone else. This includes games, add-ons, themes, avatars, as well as free game demos.

Member Demo Sharing of Full Game
Share a level of a game that you just purchased for your PS3 with a subscriber who doesn't own the game. Your friends could do the same. This would be an exclusive demo not available otherwise to those who haven't purchased the game.

Cross-game Voice Chat Access
Get exclusive member-only access to cross-game voice chat. This is the ability to use your headset to voice chat with friends on your PS3 regardless of what they are doing on the PS3.

Full Title Trial - 1st Hour Is Free
Download full versions of select Blu-ray and PSN game titles and have the chance to play the entire game (single or multiplayer) for free for the first hour. After that time you will have the option of purchasing the game to continue playing.

Token Wagering
Get a fixed number of tokens per month you can wager with other players in competitive online games. These tokens could then be built up and redeemed for free PlayStation Network games and other content.

User-to-user Challenges
Unlock developer-created challenges while playing games. Compete with your friends to see who can be the first to complete these challenges. The PS3 will automatically offer and track challenges and winners and would post results. An example of a challenge is 'first to get 10 trophies' in a particular game.

Get a fixed number of PSOne Classic games, PSP Minis (bite-sized games), and PS3/PSP themes per month to keep for free for as long as you are a subscriber. The PlayStation Store offers these types of content for $2-6 each.

Get weekly member-exclusive discounts on specific games, game add-ons and themes on the PlayStation Store. Discounts may range from 20-50% off regular retail prices.

Member Only In-game Content
Get exclusive member-only in-game content for your PS3 or PSP such as new game play options, unlocked in-game weapons or player slots, exclusive levels, costumes/skins, and PlayStation Home spaces.

Trophy Alerts
Get automated alerts on your PlayStation XrossMedia Bar, PlayStation.com, and via text message (if you so choose) that alert you when your friends get any trophy or a specific one. This feature is customizable - you can choose which friends to receive alerts from and what kinds of alerts.

Cloud Storage Space for Games
Store your game saves on a virtual secure saver. This would allow you to access your game saves at any point in time, and from any PlayStation 3 or PSP console you are logged in on.

Online Music Service
Get a streaming music service that allows you to choose your channel based on music style, artist type, etc. and listen to an unlimited number of tracks. This service would be for use outside of playing a game and similar to Pandora or a Last.fm.

Online Music Video Service
Get a streaming music video service on your PlayStation 3 that lets you stream music videos from a continuously growing catalog of music and allows you to create a custom playlist to play back.

Customize the types of updates you want your PS3 to download automatically. These include game updates (patches) for games that you own, firmware updates, and game demos downloaded on your PS3 without manually having to select them and wait for them to finish downloading. Your PS3 can be set to automatically turn on for updates and turn off after completion.

Loyalty Program Rewards
Get rewards the longer you are a subscriber and also earn rewards by engaging with PlayStation such as buying games, downloading movies, and rating products. Rewards can include full versions of PlayStation Network games and digital movie rentals from the PlayStation Store.

Facebook Connectivity
Access to member-exclusive Facebook features on your PlayStation 3, such as viewing and linking your Facebook accounts with their PSN ID's, updating your status, editing, uploading and sharing photos, and viewing photo albums of your friends on your TV.

Catch-up TV
Get access to popular TV shows and movies through service providers such as Hulu, simply by clicking an icon on your PS3 XrossMedia navigation bar.

Netflix Access Without Disc
Access the Netflix video streaming service on your PS3 without the need to insert a special disc into the drive each time to access the service. A separate Netflix subscription would also be needed to enjoy the service. Netflix offers over 17000 popular movies and TV shows for streaming on your laptop or a supported device such as a PS3.

Fisherman
05-17-2010, 05:28 PM
I really hope they announce this, I'd like to see what they bring to the table. It is going to be a tough, tough sell for me, though. Here's hoping they announce it and it is bad ass enough to make me pay for it.

Cam-Dog
05-17-2010, 05:51 PM
Man did you look at the spoiler info I posted? If 90% of that is true it would have more features than XBL right?

Jitterbug
05-17-2010, 06:00 PM
The only thing that I see on there that sounds unique and exciting is the token wagering. That could be interesting (unless they make it possible to BUY more tokens - then it is pure shit.) Other then that it looks kinda like what is offered on XBL, except you kinda sort of get it for free - provided the "free" games are worth a shit. All in all, this would be damn good news for PS3 owners and I hope it happens. Next problem to solve - headsets.

Cam-Dog
05-17-2010, 06:03 PM
Man Jitterbug quite wasting your time with other headsets.
Just get the official Sony one it works great even displays battery and connection info on screen.

Okay JB you brought out some fanboy in me, how are these 5 features not original?
Access to Betas, Full Game Trial, Free PSPOne Classics and PS3 Themes, Cloud Storage Space, Three Year Extended Warranty.
I know Underground offers some beta access and some dashboard themes but thats it.

Jitterbug
05-17-2010, 06:04 PM
Just get the official Sony one it works great even displays battery and connection info on screen.

The one I have works fine - my main issue is that everyone else's sucks and I end up having to listen to their TV sets blaring.

Cam-Dog
05-17-2010, 06:12 PM
The one I have works fine - my main issue is that everyone else's sucks and I end up having to listen to their TV sets blaring.

Well thats just stupid people being stupid. How is this avoided on 360?
Oh yeah JB I edited my other post to you check it out.

Jitterbug
05-17-2010, 06:49 PM

Okay JB you brought out some fanboy in me, how are these 5 features not original?
Access to Betas, Full Game Trial, Free PSPOne Classics and PS3 Themes, Cloud Storage Space, Three Year Extended Warranty.
I know Underground offers some beta access and some dashboard themes but thats it.

What I meant was that none of the features really stood out as something that seemed exciting to me. You can bet your sweet ass that the free ps1 stuff is going to be hella sparse. Nintendo proved that people are willing to pay good money for old ass games, there's no way Sony is going to buck that trend. Full game trials and access to betas is a total 'wait and see' deal for me. What games? Just remember back to the Xbox Live multitude of promises about Live (I recall the BETA access thing being touted a few times) and how little materialized. Not to mention the promises Sony made about how awesome their FREE online system was going to be and what we ended up getting out of that.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is awesome for PS3 users, but I find it somewhat amusing that so many PS3 users railed against how evil Microsoft was for charging for their service and how awesome Sony was for giving it away for free, and now this comes along. It is pretty much the same thing as Xbox Live with a few bells and whistles that are there to entice people to join up. All this stuff is great, and I think you'll find that it changes the system for the better, but 360 users have had it since the day the system shipped (with several bells and whistles added along the way.)

I'll definitely be getting this service, and I think PS3 only owners will soon discover how important having a competent online system is to gaming. Again though, as for the stuff that they are saying makes it better then the 360 stuff - don't count on it. They are going to have a lot of growing pains over the first several months of this being available, and expect to see a lot of these promises go unfulfilled.

And as far as the headset thing goes - no, 360 users don't have the blaring tv problem. The headset and mic prevent the majority of background noise from coming through - except for VERY loud tv's, crying babies, and yelling mothers - you still hear all of that.

Cam-Dog
05-17-2010, 06:56 PM
Alright JB I see your points. We should all wait and see what it really is.

My Sony mic doesn't have that problem or at least I haven't had it yet.

Jitterbug
05-17-2010, 06:57 PM
Alright JB I see your points. We should all wait and see what it really is.

My Sony mic doesn't have that problem or at least I haven't had it yet.

You can't hear everyone else's TVs in the background? Seriously? Every time I play online with the PS3 I can hear so much background noise that it is distracting. Am I just playing with people that have their TVs on too loud or what?

Cam-Dog
05-17-2010, 08:28 PM
You can't hear everyone else's TVs in the background? Seriously? Every time I play online with the PS3 I can hear so much background noise that it is distracting. Am I just playing with people that have their TVs on too loud or what?

Well the Sony one has some background noise canceling feature that really helps out with that or maybe you are running into a bunch of half def people online.
Ask some other people who have it if they have the same experience.

Fisherman
05-17-2010, 08:52 PM
The big problem for me as a dual owner is that I am totally content with what I have - premium online service for the 360 and good enough service on the PS3 to see what my friends are playing and play a round of MLB with my league mates. I can't justify a second paid service to myself when I have the rough equivalent a few feet away, with more of my friends, better Netflix integration, and a better voice chat system.

I don't expect the PS3 to top any of those three things. If they DO give me something brand new and unique, I'll take a look at it. You've definitely piqued my interest for the Sony E3 conference though Cam.

Quinstar
05-18-2010, 06:45 AM
I read somewhere, can't remember where at the moment, but an "unamed Sony person" when talking about this premium service said that cross game voice chat would not be exclusive to the premium service. Not sure if it's accurate or not, but I thought it was interesting.

Lokela
05-18-2010, 11:44 AM
I'm interested to hear more about the service, but I can't say for sure if I'd pay for it. I"m not going to pay for more than one online gaming console service. If Sony can put something in theirs that I don't already have, and can't live without, then I'll consider switching. It's one or the other for me.

Cam-Dog
06-15-2010, 05:03 PM
This is what we really got not bad if I do say so myself. The pricing is 49.99 a year or 17.99 for 3 months.

Access to Beta Games
Get access to Betas of popular games not yet released at retail (Betas offer bigger experiences than typical game demos). You will have the ability to play these games before others do.

Full Title Trial
Download full versions of select Blu-ray and PSN game titles and have the chance to play the entire game (single or multiplayer) for free for the first hour. After that time you will have the option of purchasing the game to continue playing.

Get a fixed number of PSOne Classic games, PSP Minis (bite-sized games), and PS3/PSP themes per month to keep for free for as long as you are a subscriber. The PlayStation Store offers these types of content for $2-6 each.

Get weekly member-exclusive discounts on specific games, game add-ons and themes on the PlayStation Store. Discounts may range from 20-50% off regular retail prices.

Customize the types of updates you want your PS3 to download automatically. These include game updates (patches) for games that you own, firmware updates, and game demos downloaded on your PS3 without manually having to select them and wait for them to finish downloading. Your PS3 can be set to automatically turn on for updates and turn off after completion.

Fisherman
06-15-2010, 05:06 PM
This is a solid, solid offering. I didn't think they'd pull off the free PSN, PSOne, or PSPmini games. That sold me.

Quinstar
06-16-2010, 09:06 AM
So, I wasn't planning on getting this when I first heard about it, but I do believe that I have changed my mind...

MrWooT
06-21-2010, 01:14 AM
So, I wasn't planning on getting this when I first heard about it, but I do believe that I have changed my mind...

Same here.

Also JB, 90% of the people I play with have good mics Its either Official sony one or the Tritons. You just need to pick out your friends list better.

And Camdog How much will it cost and when will it be out?

Cam-Dog
06-21-2010, 02:18 AM
It will be 49.99 for a year, 17.99 for 3 months and should be coming out out either on the first of July but they haven't said a official date.
Oh and the first 3 months are free.

Fisherman
06-21-2010, 01:12 PM
It will be 49.99 for a year, 17.99 for 3 months and should be coming out out either on the first of July but they haven't said a official date.
Oh and the first 3 months are free.

Yeah, and who knows if it will actually be $49.99 or if it will be "$49.99" in the same way that 360 Gold membership costs that much. I haven't paid $49.99 for a year's worth of gold membership ever, its always been between $30-$35.