PDA

View Full Version : DVD Review : Big Man Japan

Jitterbug
05-12-2010, 03:18 PM
This film has been waiting patiently in my Netflix instant que for months now. When I first saw the preview I was more excited to see it then any Giant Monster film of recent memory. I even made a post about it on the site and got Nerves to put it in his que as well. Then we kept putting off watching it because we thought it would make the perfect BMDD night, and ever since it has come up in conversation at least once during each of our BMDD debates over which movie to watch.

Today, as I sit here wasting away from this fucking Pneumonia, I decided it was about time to watch the movie. Before I give you my opinion, watch this preview to see just why Nerves and I were so excited about this film.

JTAoxSspBJE

Fucking awesome! Right? How could this movie be anything but infinitely entertaining?

Well, ladies and gentlemen, perhaps you should watch the movie to see just how to take an awesomely hilarious concept and turn it into a Mind-Blowingly-BORING film!

The basic plot synopsis is that Japan has been plagued with giant monsters ever since the 1940's, and to combat this threat, the government has enlisted the aid of what are called Big Man Japan's - super charged humans that can transform into the humongous sumo wrestlers that you saw in the preview. Sounds good so far.

The film chooses a documentary style, presenting a name-less, face-less journalist that is endlessly interviewing Big Man himself as well as everyone else in his life. This comprises the VAST majority of the movie. For the first twenty minutes or so you are forced to listen to every minute detail of the main character's life as the journalist interviews him. This boring prelude would be forgivable if it lead anywhere, and by the time you get to the first fight you are jazzed to be entertained! Then the fight happens, with a creature called The Strangler that likes to rip buildings out of the ground and then plant eggs (or white turds) into the foundations. Funny as hell! And super entertaining to watch as well. But then we go right back to the interviews, and the movie loses momentum once again. This is pretty much how the rest of the movie goes. Endless exposition about what it's like to be Big Man followed by a short fight sequence that is entertaining. In all, it makes for a horrible movie.

If you have Netflix, you can watch this on Instant Watch, and I recommend that you check it out and fast forward to the fight scenes as there are some pretty entertaining ones in there (my favorite by a long shot is the scene where the two monsters end up having sex - funny as hell.) But no matter how interested you might be in getting some of the back story behind the battles, don't bother. Your patience is not rewarded.

All in all, I am afraid that this film gets a measly 3 out of 11 ships. Avoid it.

Lokela
05-12-2010, 06:31 PM
Well that's disappointing. I had high hopes for this flick. Since it's on the instant download, I'll probably check out the fight scenes.

Nerves
05-12-2010, 10:09 PM
This is a fucking bummer.