PDA

View Full Version : Beat Hazard or Audiosurf?

Fisherman
05-05-2010, 06:17 PM
I'm completely on board with a game that tries something different, and the central premise to both of these games is that they are as long-lasting as your music library is because they use your music library to create levels. Basically in each of them, you pick a song, the game analyzes the song, using the peaks and valleys in the waveform to create a level.

Audiosurf creates a Guitar Hero-style rhythm game. While the path and the beats don't reflect any particular instrument in the song you've chosen, it reflects the overall feel of the song. It comes with multiple modes. I've had Audiosurf for a long time and consider it one of my best go-to games when I only have a half hour to game or so.

Beat Hazard is a new one. It creates an Asteroids-style space battle game based on your song. The demo is on Steam and actually, outside of logging Steam achievements and perhaps saving to the cloud, seems to do everything the full game does. Unless I'm missing something.

Any computer from the post-Clinton era can probably run Audiosurf. Not sure about Beat Hazard, but it looked beautiful on my rig, and it's not the most up-to-date piece on the market. Here's my challenge to the shipheads: Try each of these games and vote on which one you like the best. Beat Hazard or Audiosurf?

Audiosurf (http://store.steampowered.com/app/12900) {Steam website demo link}

Beat Hazzard (http://store.steampowered.com/app/49600) {Steam website demo link}

Jitterbug
05-06-2010, 08:37 AM
That sounds interesting. Do you remember Monster Rancher? In that game, you would put a cd into your playstation and it would create a monster based on the album! It was a gimmick, but it sure worked on me. I loved those first couple of Monster Rancher games (and I remember that Guns N Roses' Appetite For Destruction would create a little skeleton creature!!)

djdsf
05-06-2010, 10:43 AM
I added links to the games so that people can Dload the demos straight to their Steam with 2 clicks.

I have Audiosurf on my PC and I love it (Bought it for $2.50 on the Steam end of the year clearance sale) and when I'm on the go, I play Audiosurf on my Zune. I'm Dloading Beat Hazard as we speak, so I will give ti a try and tell you which I like best.

djdsf
05-06-2010, 03:01 PM
Tried it, I love Audiosurf, and BH is ok, but not for me, I do not actually see how the music affects it like you do in Audiosurf, plus having it on my Zune is a +

Fisherman
05-07-2010, 08:53 AM
In Beat Hazard the wavelength of the music affects how you much you can shoot and how many enemies appear on the screen. I tried it with a few songs with long lead-ins. The beginning turned into 20 seconds or so of dodging asteroids before the shooting started. It seems like the ranges impact the types of enemies you see in BH, like more high pitch means more small, fast enemies. I have no way to verify this, but when I was playing it I did feel like the music was driving the experience.

But I have to go with you, DJ, Audiosurf is still king among these two games for me.

Fisherman
05-07-2010, 08:55 AM
That sounds interesting. Do you remember Monster Rancher? In that game, you would put a cd into your playstation and it would create a monster based on the album! It was a gimmick, but it sure worked on me. I loved those first couple of Monster Rancher games (and I remember that Guns N Roses' Appetite For Destruction would create a little skeleton creature!!)

I never played that but it sounds awesome! I love titles like that, man. It's not like this is a new innovation that's going to take over gaming like motion control is trying to, but it's great to see something different every once in a while.

djdsf
05-09-2010, 05:49 PM
I never played that but it sounds awesome! I love titles like that, man. It's not like this is a new innovation that's going to take over gaming like motion control is trying to, but it's great to see something different every once in a while.

If you like I can make 2 different MP3 tracks, 1 with a basic song but on high pitch and another with the same song on low pitch and then you can use the normal pitch song for a baseline and try it.